What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Comments on Gecko electronics?  (Read 12020 times)

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
Comments on Gecko electronics?
« on: August 14, 2006, 01:58:40 pm »
Spa family,

What are your comments on Gecko electronics?  I am in the process of ordering an Arctic spa.  The dealer (who is great) pointed out the fact that they can be built with Gecko electronics, or another brand that Arctic has made for them in China.  My neighbor who sells and services pools, and used to service spas didn't like the Gecko brand.  But I am not sure how many spas he has had to service and so don't know how much value to place on this.

So since I can order the spa either way, what comments does anyone have on the two brands of water packs?  Especially helpful would be to hear from Arctic owners.

Thanks,

Steven-

Hot Tub Forum

Comments on Gecko electronics?
« on: August 14, 2006, 01:58:40 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Comments on Gecko electronics?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 02:05:30 pm »
Artesian and D-1 are two well known makers who use them as well as Nordic....Balboa and Gecko are pretty much reconsigned as the industry standard...I know from talking to techs that a number of years ago Gecko seemed to lag behind Balboa but have made strides in the last few years to really make a nice product...

The_Bends

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:17:20 pm »
Hello Northwoods,

You are going to love your Summit!  It is a great spa, and really comfortable.  

As far as the electronics are concerned, don't be!  The spa is under warranty for at least five years parts and labor.  

Yes our spas come with two options for electronics, but usually that is not something that we offer, because you (the customer) will never tell the difference between the two.  I think the service guy is more concerned!

If the dealer is offering you an option, than the Global Pack is the way to go.  It has a couple of really neat features that may come in handy after your warranty, including removable relays.  Also, it features X10 technology, which we have severals items for, and will be able to upgrade into the future.  

The Gecko electronics have been tested tried and true.  
So I guess you have already selected the color!  That is usually the hardest part!
Arctic Spas Hydrotherapy Technician

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 04:38:48 pm »
Hi Northwoods:

As a spa owner, my Artesian Piper Glen has been operating just fine on a Gecko spa pack for 7 years, and I highly recommend them.

Unfortunately, Artesian could have done a better job of installation on their 1999 model, a lack of waterproofing around the panel face plate lead to a water leak that traveled down a sensor wire into the pack causing corrosion of a pin connector. The connector broke causing me to replace the main board on my own (with help from this forum) because my dealer went out of business.

In terms of design, I found the pack VERY easy to work with. I never changed a main board previously (and I hope never again) but, even with that obstacle, it took me only about 2 hours. The diagrams printed right on the box and the ease of identifying components made it a simple job. Except for that little blip, I've never had an issue with the controls.

Some pics are attached to show you some stuff.

Good Luck!

Drewski

8-)

It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 07:11:36 pm »
Hello Northwoods,

You are going to love your Summit!  It is a great spa, and really comfortable.  

As far as the electronics are concerned, don't be!  The spa is under warranty for at least five years parts and labor.  

Yes our spas come with two options for electronics, but usually that is not something that we offer, because you (the customer) will never tell the difference between the two.  I think the service guy is more concerned!

If the dealer is offering you an option, than the Global Pack is the way to go.  It has a couple of really neat features that may come in handy after your warranty, including removable relays.  Also, it features X10 technology, which we have severals items for, and will be able to upgrade into the future.  

The Gecko electronics have been tested tried and true.  
So I guess you have already selected the color!  That is usually the hardest part!

Thanks for the info!  Can you tell us viewers more about X10 technology and why we would want it?  I like the idea of ordering the "Tried and True" Gecko, and am squemish about ordering technology that has not be out as long.  What other features make the Global Pack the way to go?  How long has the Global Pack been out?

Thanks,

Steven

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 09:32:39 pm »
 The gecko pak and top side have worked almost flawlessly. We've used others in the past, it's been our choice for pak replacement for a few years now.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

The_Bends

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 11:14:59 am »

Thanks for the info!  Can you tell us viewers more about X10 technology and why we would want it?  I like the idea of ordering the "Tried and True" Gecko, and am squemish about ordering technology that has not be out as long.  What other features make the Global Pack the way to go?  How long has the Global Pack been out?

Thanks,

Steven

x10 Technology uses the power lines already in your house.  The transmitter uses the power lines to send a signal to anything plugged into the house.  For example, we have a system that you can turn off the porch lights while in your hot tub.  Way cool for mood.  

If it is an issue, go with the gecko.  No worries mate!

Arctic Spas Hydrotherapy Technician

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 11:20:42 am »
Gecko is a good brand.  We use them and Balboa for other hot tub brands that we service.

Dragomir

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:58:03 pm »
Hi, I have a Can Spa hot tub with gecko controls. Since I took off the circuit board cover in the rain my control panel does not turn on. So far I have tested all the fuses with the ohm meter and they check out ok. I have also tried reseting the power by tuning the power off and on and unplugging and replugging the control panel to the circuit board and no positive results.
I would very much appreciate your help!
Thank you

Dragomir

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:58:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42