What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Nu-Wave Install Electric Issues (pics)  (Read 5991 times)

thunderbird

Nu-Wave Install Electric Issues (pics)
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:23:46 pm »
Hi,

New guy here. Ive trolled around and searched the forums fairly well I think and couldnt find the issue I am having. So Ill write it up best I can and really appreciate any help.

First off, I am no electrician. My neighbor had experience so he hooked up my power to the tub. I am using a '97 model Nu-Wave 240v system with a 1.5 hp pump and a 1 hp blower. This model has the GFCI built in. I know this is no longer legal and needs to be corrected, but Id like to make sure the system at least works before dumping a bunch of money into it.

Basically I have a 40 amp 2 pole breaker on my box. The white and bare cable going into the neutral and read and black cables going into the posts for the breaker. The wire is 8/3 (4 wire obviously) and ran through conduit to the tub about 50' away. Obviously the red hooks to red, black to black, white to white and bare to bare.

ISSUE is when I turn the spa controls on, all four lights on the front come on and stay on. Air switches seem to work fine. The light switch works fine... but the system will not power the pumps. The water pump has a funky looking end on it, but the blower had a regular 110 on it. I plugged it in to an outlet just to see if it worked and it did... but plugged into the system it does nothing.

I had the tub filled, water was in the lines. I called the service department for Nu-Wave and he said that all 4 lights on means one of the neutral lines had power going to it... I rechecked all the wiring and I see this as an impossibility. Please help, Ive included some pics, let me know anything you need from me and help me get in my tub!

Thanks for reading guys!

Hot Tub Forum

Nu-Wave Install Electric Issues (pics)
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:23:46 pm »

thunderbird

Re: Nu-Wave Install Electric Issues (pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:24:37 pm »
More pics....

thunderbird

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:56:34 am »
Well no one commented but thats ok, Ill give an update anyways. Turns out there was a burned up wire in the control box. Now I am not naive enough to think I replaced the wire so all is well, so I will be keeping an eye on it to see what happens.

But last night, it took about 5 hours to fully heat up and held the heat all night... and is heating right now... so at least all for now is ok...

Even though no one replied, there were like 70 views so at least thanks for looking.

96SC

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:21:02 am »
I am one of the 70+ who looked but am not a bit electrical 'savvy', any advice from me would have probably resulted in a pile of molten plastic.  Glad things are going well now.  Welcome to the forum.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:36:13 am »
Let me also welcome you to the forum, I'm not sure how I missed your message, perhaps its the painkiller and muscle relaxers, or maybe Olympic curling has my attention. Dang American teams can't close the deal!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:08:45 am »
Well, if I had seen it soon enough I would simply have said that your connections seem to be correct. I might have said that there is an issue with the control unit - and that your system is very simple so look for a loose, crossed or burnt wire...

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:08:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42