What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: pump hp whats better  (Read 3341 times)

JUST ME

pump hp whats better
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:49:59 am »
Hi All,

Is the 2/ 4 hp better for a real good massage or will I get the same affect from the 2/ 2hp

Thanks for you time.

just me

Hot Tub Forum

pump hp whats better
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:49:59 am »

In Canada eh

Re: pump hp whats better
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:20:44 am »
just me,

Don't get confused by the hp ratings on the pump, it really has more to do with the impellor and how many gallons per minute of water it can move.  However ,there is a relationship between hp and water flow.  Generally the higher the gpm the higher the hp and a good guess would say that 2 4hp pumps would move more water than 2 2hp pumps

hope this helps
Bullfrog 451

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:41:06 am »
Pumps don't massage, jets do.  
What spa are you referring to?
Brewman

JUST ME

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 09:57:32 am »
The two manufacture are D1 and HS..

going to try wet test this weekend but the two companys have a big diffrence in motor size.

cappy2449

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 10:20:01 am »
hs and d1 are both great... i decided on d1 because the dealer just opened a store in my area and he bent over backwards to make a sale....

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:36:30 am »
Buying a hottub is challenging.  I would say that the horsepower ratings on the motors has about as much impact on the performance of a spa as the color of the cabinet.  These numbers can be very misleading.  A well designed spa is a blend of many components that must work together to provide a satisfactory experience.  Pumps, filters, heaters, piping, jets etc. must all be sized and tested to work well together.  While the engineering can be complex, the assessment of the result is simplicity itself.  Simply go to the dealer(s) and wet test the spas you are interested in.  Which one feels best to you?  That is the one to buy.  Both D1 and HS make first class spas.  Forget the technical mumbo jumbo and go try them out.

Regards,

Bill

PS. I am an engineeer
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 10:37:16 am by Bill_Stevenson »

Chris_H

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 10:59:22 am »
I looked up the Chairman II on D1’s website and the Envoy on Hotspring’s site.  

Quite honestly, you are pretty much comparing apples to oranges in your horsepower description.  The sales person or brochure from D1 states the pumps as peak horsepower instead of continuous duty horsepower.  You should always focus on the continuous rating.

This is the Chairman II’s pump specifications: 2 x 4.0 HP Pumps.  The 4.0 is designated as peak horsepower, but there is a blurb that states the pump is actually 2.5 is the continuous duty horsepower.  

The Envoy is a comparable unit in the Hotspring line.  Its specifications are 2 x 2.0 HP continuously rated pumps or 2 x 3.9 breakdown torque horsepower.

To break it down – the Chairman, on continuous duty, has 1 additional horsepower, instead of 4 additional that you may have first thought.

tumbleweed

• HotTub'n
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 11:09:57 am »
Buying a hottub is challenging.  I would say that the horsepower ratings on the motors has about as much impact on the performance of a spa as the color of the cabinet.  These numbers can be very misleading.  A well designed spa is a blend of many components that must work together to provide a satisfactory experience.  Pumps, filters, heaters, piping, jets etc. must all be sized and tested to work well together.  While the engineering can be complex, the assessment of the result is simplicity itself.  Simply go to the dealer(s) and wet test the spas you are interested in.  Which one feels best to you?  That is the one to buy.  Both D1 and HS make first class spas.  Forget the technical mumbo jumbo and go try them out.

Regards,

Bill

PS. I am an engineeer
Very good advice that all spa shoppers should take.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 11:58:33 am »
Regards,
Bill
PS. I am an engineeer

Very good advice. I would just like to add that 8 HP in one tub may feel great to it's owner but 3 HP in another may feel better for that tubs owner than the 8HP his neighbor has. I have experienced this and I am sure others have.
Retired

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 02:06:35 pm »
Just to concur what some other stated, HP of a pump plays no bearing in the performance of the spa. Higher HP does not always equate to more water flow either.

The HP thing is a game some/most manufactures use to sell spas because they build crap and having nothing real to talk about.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 04:11:29 pm »
The HP thing is a game some/most manufactures use to sell spas because they build crap and having nothing real to talk about.
Objection, Your Honor!  The stated quote is innuendo and generalized and provides no value to the casual reader.

Objection sustained.  Please remove said quote from the record.

8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

JUST ME

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 05:36:07 pm »
Thanks for all the replies,,,

I have wet test set for Saterdayat both places, ( to bad I cant take my MGD's with me ;D)

now D1 said that the uv is better than cd, said that uv runs all the time and wont require as much stuff to be put in and that it wont harm the cover and head rests as fast.

Thanks again for everyones time.

I wonder whats harder finding a mate or buying a hot tub ;)

but thats just me
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 05:36:46 pm by JUST_ME »

In Canada eh

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 05:47:24 pm »

Easy answer to that one, its buying a hot tub ;D
Bullfrog 451

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 08:37:37 pm »

Easy answer to that one, its buying a hot tub ;D

Just for the weekend? Or for life?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 08:40:36 pm »
haahhahaha!
-SpaMan~

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 08:40:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42