What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Summit Signature Vs Artesian Grand Cayman52  (Read 17219 times)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Arctic Summit Signature Vs Artesian Grand Caym
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 08:55:11 am »

In all seriousness, all that I am saying in all this is Microban adds value to the spa.

Absolutely! Perceived value is a huge advantage for anyone selling anything.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 08:55:11 am »

Vanguard

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 10:31:28 am »
This is an excerpt from an article I found online about the claim the EPA made against Microban:

Beginning in 1998, Robert Darnell, Brenda Mosley and I initiated and litigated an enforcement case against Microban for making health-related claims that are not supported by its EPA pesticide registration. The company’s liability was hardly in doubt: we even obtained copies of the registration documents that appeared to have been altered to omit crucial restrictive language; apparently these alterations were made in order to market Microban’s alleged health benefits to companies such as those that make children’s toys. In 2004, EPA enforcement finally prevailed on all issues in its second appeal of this matter before the Environmental Appeals Board. The Board upheld EPA’s interpretation of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) penalty provisions: as the literal language of FIFRA §12(a)(1)(B) states, each sale or distribution is a violation, therefore counting the number of documents in which Microban’s unlawful claims were made undercounts violations.

The link to the article where I found this is here:  http://www.centerforhealthyhousing.org/Triclosan_update.pdf

This was an interesting article.  A Pesticide safety organization is claiming that Triclosan, the stuff in Microban, can actually create dioxins.  In particular, they state a study by University of Minnesota PhD, Kristopher McNeil, that “Repeated exposure to chlorine [chlorinated water] could chlorinate triclosan. After chlorinated triclosan is discharged, sunlight could convert it into more toxic dioxins. Such a process might be a source of highly toxic dioxin in the environment.”

That was of particular interest to me since we are discussing the use of Microban in chlorinated water.

Again, this is an interesting article that I'm just throwing out there for everyone to read if they wish.  I maintain that Microban is more of a marketing gimmick.   However, I'm not a scientist and can't list a bunch of scientific data.  I found the article and think it is worth looking at.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:07:23 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 01:10:27 pm »
Nice to see we have a discussion going here.  And it has mostly stayed civil.

Vanguard's study makes it sound like Microban would be a [glow]negative[/glow] feature in a hot tub.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 02:51:29 pm »
 One thing about it its out there and manufacturers use it, so not much to be talked about that.
 If Sundance Jacuzzi or Hotspring or any other company used it you could bet it would be in the pitch or brochure as value for the spa, specially if it was a throw in regardless if it worked or not.

Question is, what would say pitch wise if you knew it didn't work, yet it was an option on your spa from the manufacturer?

I myself would present it as a different more vibrant color for a shell which it is. And may not talk about the microban at all depends on the customer and where they have been.   When we sold Artesian back in the day I talked about it but didn't push it, most of the time it was a trow in if the spa was a floor model.  Did it actually work don't know, I do know those customers still come in and buy chemicals and have the occasional water problems that everyone experiences from time to time.  

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:52:15 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 08:02:59 pm »

Absolutely! Perceived value is a huge advantage for anyone selling anything.

It adds value the same way no bypass filtering does. And that's not a HS knock but instead an example of a marketing strategy designed to sells spas. I think we made our point...  ;)

Summitman

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2009, 09:19:43 pm »

It adds value the same way no bypass filtering does. And that's not a HS knock but instead an example of a marketing strategy designed to sells spas. I think we made our point...  [glow];)[/glow]

;) ;) ;)

Vanguard

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2009, 10:41:01 pm »
Summitman, just curious, did you read the article?  What were your thoughts if you did?  Not baiting or arguing, just curious.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2009, 10:41:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42