What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Using Iodine as a Sanitizer  (Read 5914 times)

MarKee

Using Iodine as a Sanitizer
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:24:12 am »
I had a customer tell me that they use iodine as a sanitizer.  Iodine is in the halogen family, along with chlorine and bromine.  I told the customer that if this method worked, I probably would have heard about it before.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:24:43 am by Hideaway_King »

Hot Tub Forum

Using Iodine as a Sanitizer
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:24:12 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Using Iodine as a Sanitizer
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:44:05 am »
I guess you know it when you get in with a scrape or cut.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

CraigW

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:05:00 am »
Hmmm, I use an iodine based sanitizer for beer brewing, and it stains everything. Skin turns a nice yellow if you touch it, anything white turns colors if you leave it in it for any length of time. And that's at a very low concentration. Can't imagine using it in a tub unless it's a much lower concentration. For my sanitizing, I'm looking for contact times of only a couple minutes, so maybe it would be a low enough concentration to not stain.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:06:52 am by CraigW »

chem geek

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:23:56 pm »
Iodine is not a strong oxidizer for getting rid of organics (bather waste).  So it needs to be looked at in the same way as N2 -- that is, as a sanitizer, but not an oxidizer.  So it would be used in conjunction with a non-chlorine shock (MPS) or with chlorine which would oxidize bather waste and re-activate the iodine as it got used up.  Additionally, it isn't used in pools because it doesn't kill algae and in sufficient quantities to be effective it gives the water a slightly green color.  It's more commonly used for personal (i.e. camping) drinking water disinfection, though its taste is objectionable so other products are typically used (such as a combination of Dichlor and sodium chlorite to produce chlorine dioxide).

Basically, if someone wanted alternative persistent sanitation, N2 would be a better way to go.  You'd still need either MPS or chlorine.

TubsAndCues

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:14:37 pm »
The bonus to using iodine is that it is non-irritating and non-bleaching.  

The down side, and this is why it is completely impractical for pool and spa use, is that it is nearly impossible to oxidize off the waste products.

I'd be very surprised is someone was actually using this.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:14:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42