What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1 or two motors - lounger or bench  (Read 8530 times)

PAinSC

1 or two motors - lounger or bench
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:20:49 pm »
Would like advise or opinion on new spa.
We are looking at either a Cal Spa FIII-748 Lounger or a FIII-732 Bench.

The lounger has a much smaller footwell and no cool off seat. Is the lounger worth it?

Also the lounger unit has two motors, but the FIII-732 only has one motor.
Should I be concerned about only one motor in a Cal Spa?

We live in SC where the winters are mild. - What is our best choice?

Purchasing this Saturday so quick replies would be appreciated!!

Hot Tub Forum

1 or two motors - lounger or bench
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:20:49 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: 1 or two motors - lounger or bench
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 02:01:13 pm »
what do you think of the lounger? Some people like them, others don't. You're the one that has to use it  :)

Is the one pump strong enough? Are the 2 pumps strong enough? Too strong? Again, you're the one that has to use it.

Both of these are personal preference, and the reason why wet testing is so important.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:02:42 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

PAinSC

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 02:04:12 pm »
My concern with just the one motor is from a durability stand point.

Will two motors have a longer life then a spa with just one doing all the work?

96SC

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 02:37:37 pm »
Welcome to the forum PAinSC, I too am in SC.  Unless you are 'married' to a Cal Spa I can highly recommend a Hot Spring dealer in Greenville.  I can also not recommend a dealer elsewhere in the upstate.
Don't buy in too big of a hurry be sure you test a few out even if it's the two you questioned.  

We don't have a lounger and I don't think we'd want one after living without.

Happy soaking and welcome. :)
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 02:39:17 pm »
There is also a single motor version of the lounger unit.  The units on my floor have a $600 difference between the 48 jet 2 pump and the 32 jet 1 pump.  I would go the two pump with that price difference.

PAinSC

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 02:43:34 pm »
Thanks 96SC.

I really prefer the Jacuzzi J355 but it is out of my budget. Best quote I have gotten is $7995 before tax.

I know Hotsprings are good, but I am in Columbia and the local dealer is awful.

That is why it is looking like a Cal Spa. Just need to decide between lounger or not.

Any further price alerts or tips are appreciated. We plan on purchasing this Saturday.

PAinSC  

PAinSC

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 02:45:42 pm »
Castletonia,

Do you know if the Cal FIII-732B comes in a two motor version?

Also what are your prices for the FIII-748L & 732B?

Thanks

castletonia

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 04:27:22 pm »
The 732B only comes in the one pump version.  I sell the 732B for $5199+ tax and the 748L for $5799+ tax.  That is a firm price for us but the retail on them is higher.  I am in Wisconsin so our freight cost are going to be less than your dealers which could affect the price.  If you wanted a two pump version on the 732B you would have to look at the Avalon 744B which would be a significant price increase.

philshar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 10:44:08 pm »
96SC, why can you not recommend a dealer elsewhere in the upstate of SC. I am looking to buy a Hot Tub from one of the dealers (hotspring, Marquis, or Sundance).

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 07:02:50 am »
Would like advise or opinion on new spa.

The lounger has a much smaller footwell and no cool off seat. Is the lounger worth it?

!!

How many people will be in your spa in most cases?  If its regularly 3 or 4 you might want the larger footwell and cool off seat.  Our lounger is the least used seat, but we are 2 people in a 6 person spa most time.  When I got out by myself early in the morning, I love the lounger.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

96SC

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 02:16:18 pm »
96SC, why can you not recommend a dealer elsewhere in the upstate of SC. I am looking to buy a Hot Tub from one of the dealers (hotspring, Marquis, or Sundance).

They were very uncooperative when it came to doing a wet test.  I was able to sit in one dry.  Having read several messages from this forum and getting pretty educated on hot tubs the salesstaff seemed to try to BS me more than assist.  Then their prices were about $1K higher than I could have gotten the same tub for.  Many of the 'throw-ins' that most dealers give were part of a $ package (steps, electrical box, starter chems and such).  

I bought my tub (Vanguard) from Hot Springs spa in Greenville off/on Woodruff Rd, I believe, great folks to work with and their prices were very reasonable, they also own a dealership in Asheville if you are looking for a Caldera.

BTW the uncooperative dealer is not in the GSP immediate area.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 05:57:34 pm by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

just ducky

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 04:21:43 pm »
As I learned by chatting on this forum before we bought ours about a month ago, WET TEST - WET TEST - WET TEST!  We would've made a huge mistake in our purchase had we not done several wet tests, and actually two different tubs we tested twice each!  It really was obvious which one we wanted when we were all done.

As far as lounger, we personally didn't go with the lounger because our main priority was seating several adults comfortably.  The lounger version of the one we bought just wasn't as comfortable when you wanted to use it as a seating area instead of a lounger.  So for us it was a no brainer.

one pump or two?  I can just say again that the wet tests we did once again made it a no brainer for us.  We were strongly considering a model with one pump, but in wet testing several tubs, the difference was dramatic and obvious.  

PAinSC

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 06:46:56 pm »
Ducky,

What brand and model did you go with?

Thanks

just ducky

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 11:13:50 am »
Ducky,

What brand and model did you go with?

Thanks

PAinSC...sorry I didn't get back with you sooner.  Been away from the computer.  We ended up with a Jacuzzi 345 and love it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 11:13:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42