What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Low Flow Problem  (Read 3491 times)

kered

• 2002 Down East Portsmouth
Low Flow Problem
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:38:53 pm »
I have a Down East Portsmouth and the heater stopped working but I don't think it is a heater problem. If I turn the jets on the heater (at least the heater light) goes on. I get an error 'LF' for 'low flow'. The manual says the heater will shut down but other spa functions continue to run under this error.

I also saw a 'HL' (not sure what it stands for) error and that says a significant difference between temperature sensors has been detected.

For both errors it says to check water level, make sure pumps have been primed, turn off spa/restart. That didn't help.

I'm thinking it may be a problem with the circulation pump but it seems to be working - just not sure if it's working properly. The circulation pump motor still runs and when I disconnected it from the plumbing in the spa and turned it on, it did shoot water out. I did connect it back but there was no change.

Is it possible that the motor could be working but not at a high enough speed or torque? Or could the impeller possibly not be working right under pressure?

Appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Low Flow Problem
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:38:53 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Low Flow Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:34:39 am »
Have you made sure your filters are clean?  Dirty filters tend to be one of the top reasons for low flow and heates not working.

One way to rule out the filters is to take them out and see if the problem is corrected.  If it is, then you know you just had clogged filters.  If it isn't, then you have another issue and probably a service call coming.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

riesnd

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 11:48:33 am »
I saw the exact same thing on my tub last fall. In my case the tub's filteration and heating system flows through one set of jets. The kids had closed all of the jets on that set which of course all but stopped the water flow. Once I opened up the jets everything functioned ok.

Hope this helps you out.

John

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:00:52 pm »
We've switched several customers to a single stage filter instead of the dual stage. That usually takes care of it.

You do know you need to change the inner filter every 4 months and the outer one every year don't you?

kered

• 2002 Down East Portsmouth
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 11:42:14 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I kept playing and when I put the motor back in I noticed that although it was turning, it didn't seem to be turning as fast as it was when it was out and not under a load. When I saw that I looked at the bubbles that come out with the ozinator and there was barely any coming out and they were just drifting up rather than shooting out like they usually do. So althouh I haven't changed it yet, I'm pretty sure that's the problem. Thanks.

clover

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 12:10:26 pm »
....when I put the motor back in I noticed....the bubbles that come out with the ozinator and there was barely any coming out....So althouh I haven't changed it yet, (the filter) [size=14][glow]I'm pretty sure that's the problem[/glow][/size]. Thanks.

Wouldn't it have been easier to take the filter out, proof positive?   :-/
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 12:10:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42