What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub value?  (Read 3629 times)

GabaKufu

Hot Tub value?
« on: February 22, 2009, 05:10:30 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes...I bought a house that has a hot tub (spa) inside the sun room.  I estimate it to be 20-30 years old.  I believe it works but the only time I tried to use it it kept blowing the fuse (my house has an undersized service only 100amps).  It is in pretty good shape because its indoors so does this hot tub have any value?  I was thinking of scapping it because it takes up the majority of the room it lives in and I can't use it unless I upgrade the service in my house...but if it's has some value maybe I can sell it?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub value?
« on: February 22, 2009, 05:10:30 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Hot Tub value?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 05:19:54 pm »
Is it freestanding, self contained?  Why do you think it is 20 to 30 years old?  How many jets does it have?  Will it be easy to remove?  Do you keep it heated?

Check out Craig's list to see what used spas sell for.  If it is as old as you think it is, it probably has no value.  If younger it might.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 07:58:56 pm »
A lot of hot tubs run in homes with 100amp service. Will it heat without blowing the fuse or only when you turn on the jets?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:00:15 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

aduvall

• 2008 HS Soverign
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:54:58 pm »
Another thing you may want to do is to check who the maufacturer is and give them the serial number to what year it is and then try and sell it on craigslist like Hottub dan stated.

However, if you like it I would suggest asking someone who knows about electrity to come out and see what the problem is. May be worth a service call.  

P.S. My home is wired 100amps and we have not had any problems at all.

Good Luck!
Angie

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:55:21 pm by aduvall »
2008 HS Soverign

GabaKufu

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 06:11:40 pm »
Well I don't know anything about hot tubs so what is the difference between freestanding and self contained?  It only has 4 jets, it will not be easy to remove at all (I was considering taking a demo saw to it) and it's a Lifestyle brand spa.  I'm guestamating it's age by appearance.  It's kept as warm as the rest of the house.  I only filled it once turned it on then the fuse blew...I re-set the fuse turned it on then it blew again so I drained it and never played with it after that.  I'm getting tired of looking at it sitting there and taking up the whole room practically so I need to make a descision to keep it, sell it or take the demo saw to it!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 01:29:16 pm »
The fuse blowing is more than likley something wrong with the tub, such as a bad heater, not your home power. If you want a working hot tub I would have a service company come look to see what repairs may cost. I highly dought you will be able to sell the tub for anything, 4 jet built in lifestyle tub is pretty old. I would have it repaired or sawsall it and remove to redo your room.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 02:43:31 pm »
I would get rid of it.  It had little value when it was new.  It has no value now.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

GabaKufu

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 03:20:42 pm »
I've made arrangement to borrow a demo saw this weekend and it's going into a landfill!!!  Thank you all for your help and input...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 03:20:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42