What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa dealer sentenced to jail!  (Read 4512 times)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Spa dealer sentenced to jail!
« on: January 16, 2009, 03:05:58 pm »

[size=16]East Bay spa dealer sentenced to jail Wednesday[/size]

January 07, 2009

CASTRO VALLEY, CA (KGO) --[/b]

You may recall 7 On Your Side's reports about a spa dealer who really soaked his customers and got in hot water with the law. Now the dealer was sentenced.

We started investigating last year. After that, spa dealer Jim Gerard was arrested on grand theft charges.

Now, this week, Gerard was sentenced in Alameda County Superior Court to 16 months behind bars. And he's ordered to return nearly $135,000 stolen from his customers. The empty concrete slab in Peggy McGregory's backyard is a constant reminder of the hot tub that isn't there.

She paid $6,000 cash for the spa nearly two years ago -- she never received it.

"I wanted relief from my aches. I have arthritis, I have fibromyalgia," said McGregory. Sally and Milton Hughes don't have their hot tub either and Doug and Jan Graham of Castro Valley are left with just an empty slab.

Each of them had paid thousands of dollars to a spa dealer in Castro Valley, but never got their hot tubs, and never saw their money again. "They say you took their money and they don't have their hot tub," said 7 On Your Side's Michael Finney.
"Okay, well I did not take their money and not deliver their hot tub. it's in the works right now," said Gerard. But more than a dozen more people came forward too, saying they paid cash and got nothing -- except a signature 'thank you' gift: a rubber duck and bath scent. "Are you shutting down because it's beginning to look a little empty in here," said Finney. "No, we're not shutting down," said Gerard.
"You're not shutting down?" asked Finney. "No we're not," said Gerard.
But Gerard's colorful dealership did shut down. His legacy now is the graffiti on the door. "I know they're concerned, nobody's out to get them, they will get their spa," said Gerard.

Prosecutors told 7 On Your Side at least 20 people bought spas from Gerard and never got them. That got Gerard in hot water. He was charged with 14 felonies and pled guilty to one count of grand theft. Gerard has said he didn't intend wrongdoing but simply ran into financial problems.

Customers talked to us about Gerard's conviction. "It says I got soaked by Jim Gerard because we did get soaked," said Sally Hughes.
"I don't feel optimistic that I'll ever get my money from him," said McGregory.
"We're out $6,900 which is a very hard loss," said Hughes.
"It put a stop to it. It can't change what's already happened," said McGregory.
Gerard got a 16-month sentence, but the judge delayed his actual incarceration for six months to give Gerard time to pay restitution to his customers. Gerard is currently out on $40,000 bond.
There's another hearing in July to see if indeed anybody got any money back. We'll be watching too.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=6592259
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 11:42:50 pm by Zep »

Hot Tub Forum

Spa dealer sentenced to jail!
« on: January 16, 2009, 03:05:58 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Spe dealer sentenced to jail!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 03:15:24 pm »
I saw this.  It is such a black eye for our industry I chose not to post it.  However, I knew Zep would find it!  He seems to find all these nuggets. ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Zep

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 03:30:37 pm »
"I saw this.  It is such a black eye for our industry I chose not to post it.  
However, I knew Zep would find it!  He seems to find all these nuggets"

it's not a black eye for the industry...what industry doesn't have a few crooks?
it's just a good warning for buyers to really be careful.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:40:55 pm by Zep »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 04:44:34 pm »
I saw this.  It is such a black eye for our industry I chose not to post it.  However, I knew Zep would find it!  He seems to find all these nuggets. ;D

The truth only hurts those who have somethign to hide so to Zep I say, if you find 'em, post 'em.

Maybe there will be something in the story that helps another customer ask a certain question that they wouldn't have otherwise.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 04:47:47 pm »
I wasn't saying don't post it.  I just chose not to myself.  Keep 'em coming.

Zep

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:02:56 pm »
Spatech & Dan....

All these crooks like Madoff and this guy need a whooping!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 06:20:42 pm »
The overlooked crime here is that opening paragraph. Why do reporters think they need to be cute?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 06:21:01 pm »
Spatech & Dan....

All these crooks like Madoff and this guy need a whooping!

House arrest in their pent house ok? >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:21:37 pm by hottubdan »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 06:21:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42