What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Softguard chemical system?  (Read 3652 times)

lat61

Softguard chemical system?
« on: January 06, 2009, 12:47:37 pm »
I'm a newbie hot tub owner (Jacuzzi 335), and I am curious about the chemical maintenance system the dealer set us up with when we bought the tub.  It is called Softguard.  I've read some on this forum re chlorine vs. bromine, but this system appears to be neither.  If anyone us familiar with Softguard chemicals, what does it use to clean the water?  Any thoughts good or bad? No problems so far (that I can tell), but just curious.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:30:47 am by lat61 »

Hot Tub Forum

Softguard chemical system?
« on: January 06, 2009, 12:47:37 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Softguard chemical system?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 01:20:10 pm »
Is it Soft Soak, by SpaGuard?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:10:49 pm »
It is a biguanide system.  Unless you want difficult water chemistry, I'd stay away from any biguanide system.  The chlorine system is the easiest and most reliable.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

lat61

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 02:20:56 am »
Yes, that's it -- Soft Soak by Softguard.    Why is it more difficult?  The dealer did give me a good information sheet on using the chemicals.  

The instructions say to test and adjust the water chemistry daily as needed (Calcium hardness, pH, total alkalinity and sanitizer); then weekly shock and stain & scale; then monthly cleaning of filters.  Is this a normal routine?  I admit that I am not testing the water daily.  I am finding that once the chemistry is stablized after a fresh refill, usually only need to adjust the sanitizer level and the calcium hardness from time to time.  I would be interested in how infrequently I can get away with testing and adjusting the chemistry -- is twice a week sufficient?  once a week?  (I appear to be the opposite of Chas' law regarding newbie water chemistry over-management.)  Thanks for any guidance.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:24:56 am »
 What is the use pattern of the tubs?  How many people using it?  Kids?

If you follow the recipe, it is a great system, especially if anyone in the family has sensitive skin.  Test and adjust weekly.  Chemically clean filters and drain and refill every 3 months.

lat61

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:06:41 pm »
The tub is used by me and my husband, no kids.  I use it more heavily, on average about 4 times a week.  Most often I take a soak after exercising and getting chilled from being outside (it is cold up here in AK).  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 02:08:14 pm »
You should be fine. :)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 03:21:04 pm »
The tub is used by me and my husband, no kids.  I use it more heavily, on average about 4 times a week.  Most often I take a soak after exercising and getting chilled from being outside (it is cold up here in AK).  

So is the spa keeping you warm??   I saw Fairbanks was at -45  that's cold!!  Even by Alaska stds.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:22:04 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

lat61

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 04:37:11 pm »
The temps here in Anchorage have been about -15 to -5 during the day.  My guess is down to about -20 around my house at night.  I took a soak last night and it was really nice because there was no wind at all.  The only downside is when it is super cold, plus windy or snow -- then my head stays cool.  Maybe I should wear a hat.   ;D The temps have inspired me to order a thermal blanket from Roberts Hot Tub since the tub must be working overtime to stay warm (and my electric bill right with it I'm sure).

Has the snow disappeared from puget sound area yet?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 05:12:25 pm »
 Oh yeah the snow has gone, now we have rain!  Lots of it, I think 5 to 10 inches in the last 24hrs, major flooding they canceled school in Bellingham today.  Rivers are suppose to crest tonight or tomorrow should be interesting.

Mtn passes have all been closed for avalanche control or avalanches that have already occurred in the last 24hrs.

Stay warm!  Spring is right around the corner for you ::)  

If I remember right when I lived in Dutch hbr it was June or July?   :'(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 05:12:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42