What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why refill after 6 months?  (Read 3227 times)

JackVa1

Why refill after 6 months?
« on: October 08, 2008, 10:44:58 am »
There are only two of us using the Hot Tub. Water chemistry is good. Why refill?

Also : If I do refill now, should I use my Soft Water which will result in me adding Hardness or Bypass my Softener and use hard water which comes from a well and contains some IRON. Maybe I should use a blend?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Why refill after 6 months?
« on: October 08, 2008, 10:44:58 am »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: Why refill after 6 months?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:00:30 am »
The reason for refilling is the TDS gets high from the addtion of chemicals. They sell a test strip for TDS if you want to check this. Also, if you are using di-chlor, the CYA will get high and make it so the chlorine is not effective, even if it is reading good.

I would use the softned water and add the CH to bring up the hardness. Iron is a pain and takes other chemicals to remove it.

Fresh water is teh greatest, nothing like the feeling of it and worth the water change IMO.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

JackVa1

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:18:53 am »
The reason for refilling is the TDS gets high from the addtion of chemicals. They sell a test strip for TDS if you want to check this. Also, if you are using di-chlor, the CYA will get high and make it so the chlorine is not effective, even if it is reading good.

I would use the softned water and add the CH to bring up the hardness. Iron is a pain and takes other chemicals to remove it.

Fresh water is teh greatest, nothing like the feeling of it and worth the water change IMO.

I am not sure what TDS is but I don't like anything with those intitials in my Tub - thanks for the answer I needed. I do not have FLUSH on hand, but from other postings it sounds like I should get some of that too - thanks again.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 11:45:55 am »
TDS=Total Dissolved solids.  The inhert ingreidients in the chemicals increase the dissolved solids in the tub, they add up over time.

You do not need flush or swirl away at every drain. We suggest to our customers once per year or if they have purchased a used tub or if they have had a lot of "scum" issues with the tub. If you use a flush, make sure you rinse it out well, if you do not it will cause foaming issues when you refill the tub.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 06:02:40 pm »

Jack, will this be your first water change?  If so, I would echo the comments above. If this is your first change, you are to be commended for making that far and having the water still look good.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

benalexe

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:09:38 pm »
I had the same questions as my water is clean and I did not see the need to drain and refil.

I guess i should before the winter.  I also need to get a new N2 right?

Also, for some reason the other times I have drained my tub the pump 3 get an air lock and I need to open the sides and open the union next to the pump to let the air out.  Is there any way to avoide this air lock on pump 3? I hate talking off those panels.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:09:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42