What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Disappearing Don't Know Where!  (Read 19620 times)

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: Water Disappearing Don't Know Where!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 02:02:27 pm »
We see it happen more frequently in the winter at a water change. We were told by Lasco, a maker of plastic unions, that the cold water going into the tub and the plastic being warm can cause them to losen up because the exspansion/contaction of the plastic.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 02:02:27 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 02:44:37 pm »

Score one for me.
See  how much you've learned over the years!! We're all soo proud!! ;) :D ;D

We see it happen more frequently in the winter at a water change. We were told by Lasco, a maker of plastic unions, that the cold water going into the tub and the plastic being warm can cause them to losen up because the exspansion/contaction of the plastic.

Lasco makes the union? They usually make the fittings that lead up to the union however the union itself is usually made by someone else.

I would think that Blue Falls Manufacturing (plastics division) would make those considering they are the parent to Arctic.

Tom,
Can you verify this?

All spas deal with warm water...excusing it with hot and cold is not a good thing. They need to get to the bottom of it and find a solution. Like I said, several manufactures put a dab of silicon on the threads to keep them from loosening.

I would also think you would have more expansion and contraction from the heater tube itself.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 03:23:16 pm »
I did not say specifically say artic, we don't sell Artic. It was a generic statement about fittings loosening. Lasco and waterway are the companies that make the fittings/plumbing ect that we deal with most.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 03:54:22 pm »
most of the union fittings are waterways now days....Lasco and Spears supply the majority of the couplers, t's, elbows, some manifolds and slice valves. Water ways does a lot more specialty fittings directed at just our industry including jets.

I was just confused because I was trying to remember if I had ever seen a Lasco union.... :-/

Tom

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 10:52:13 am »
I would think that Blue Falls Manufacturing (plastics division) would make those considering they are the parent to Arctic. Tom, Can you verify this?
I asked our Purchasing Dept. and our unions are from Waterway or are a product made to identical specifications by a variety of other suppliers.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 10:58:58 am »
I asked our Purchasing Dept. and our unions are from Waterway or are a product made to identical specifications by a variety of other suppliers.
I suspected that...I've seen them loosen up a bit in the MAAX spas where there was more heat on the plumbing and equipment with the TP type insluation system. Again, a little dab of silicon on the threads (and I mean just a little) helps this from loosening.

The factory could pick up on that however if I had an Arctic I might be inclined to do this but make sure the gasket is good and the union is tight before the silicon dries or it will be counter-productive

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 10:58:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42