What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa next to deck - how high?  (Read 5193 times)

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
Spa next to deck - how high?
« on: July 13, 2008, 12:02:45 pm »
We moved into our new house 3.5 months ago and finally have our deck built and will be getting our concrete slab for the spa on Tuesday (hopefully!!!).  I don't remember how much above the deck the top of the spa was at our last house.  I think it was about 18 inches - but is that the best height??   Anyone have any experience with this??

The spa has been sitting in the garage since we moved - anything special I should do when I first fill it to make sure that it's clean??  I don't know how much water would have stayed in the plumbing - I'm thinking not much since it was turned on its side for the move and I remember a lot of water came out at that time, even after draining it.  I was thinking about partially filling it and putting in a bunch of dichlor and then draining it - but I don't think the water can be circulated without it being filled all the way - so would this even be effective in killing anything in the plumbing??  Although, I always fill through the filter compartment and could add dichlor as soon as I start filling.  Just want clean water as soon as possible since it's been so long since I've been able to use my spa!!!!

What's the minimum I should wait after the slab is poured before I can put the spa on it???

Thanks for any and all help,
Susan

Hot Tub Forum

Spa next to deck - how high?
« on: July 13, 2008, 12:02:45 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Spa next to deck - how high?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 12:26:30 pm »
18 inches seems to be a popular height.  My spa is at 14 inches.  This sets my deck at the same level as a "step" inside the front of the spa which makes is easy to enter and exit.

Generally 3-5 days before setting spa on top of new concrete.  Some say longer, but I work a lot with concrete and feel you should be fine.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 12:29:17 pm by tony »

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 01:11:33 pm »
thanks Tony!!!  I was thinking that it would be a couple of weeks before I could put the spa on the slab - glad to know that it's days and not weeks!!!

18 inches always seemed a comfortable height for getting in the spa - but I was wondering if anyone ever went higher.  Would 20 or 22 inches be difficult??  Since it's been so long since I've had access to my spa I can't even remember anymore whether a couple of inches higher would have made it more or less comfortable.  (Just considering how much less digging there would be for the slab!!!)  On the other hand, being lower would be better for privacy!!

I have a few pictures of my deck if anyone is interested.  http://www.pbase.com/soozin/new_deck

Thanks again!!!

Susan

kokanee001

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:28:37 pm »
Don't want to start a ruckus with you, Tony, but I do disagree with how long you said one should wait before setting a hot tub on new concrete. I had a slab poured for my hot tub and before I did that, I asked every cement contractor in our area about how long I should wait before subjecting it to the weight of a hot tub. (The slab was 8'x8' and 6" thick, reinforced with rebar.) Every contractor suggested about a month as it takes awhile for concrete to gain its strength, and a hot tub is very heavy. I even looked up the same sort of info on the internet and came up with the same response.

So, TrikkeAddict, you can take that for what it's worth. Pouring a slab is expensive so why not err on the side of caution and let it cure for a while. Better yet, ask some cement contractors in your area what they think.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 11:54:53 pm »
I’m no concrete expert, but I’m sure weather conditions factor into the proper cure time.  Not related, but I know it’s not recommend to use salt (ice melt) on a concrete driveway for at least a year.
It's all about da bubbles!

kokanee001

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:22:17 am »
Salt is hard on concrete no matter its age. But if you're going to use it, seal your concrete about 10 days after it's poured (and be sure to re-seal it every year if you're using salt) :).

kacrab10

• 2004 Sundance Optima
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 08:21:08 am »
We got a liquid "spapurge" or others have gotten swirl away you put that in, fill and let it run through then rinse while draining then refill! It took about two days because the stuff we got said we should let it run for about 12 hours so we put it at night and it ran all night until about 12 noon the next day. The spa stores sell this stuff.

Calypso

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:42:33 am »
In normal temperatures standard literature says that concrete will gain 70% of its strength in 7 days. A typical slab pour in Canada is minimum 25Mpa concrete or  3625 psi concrete. This means that your will have 2500psi in 7 days

If we assumed the absolute worst case scenario which would be whole tub weight on +/- 10 bearing locations ( assume each bearing point on 2x4 only) you would have 5000#/~49 inches or 102 psi at each bearing location for a 5000# tub.

As you can see you are definately safe after a week. The other people on the forum will tell you that the weight of the tub is spread out better than I have assumed.

Settlement is the main reason for a thick reinforced slab as differential or eneven settlement would create higher stresses than the tub weight.

Go ahead fill your tub and enjoy after one week  :)
2007 Pacific Calypso

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:59:17 am »
Nice post, Calypso. :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:59:55 am by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 11:07:24 am »
thanks Calypso - I still have to make arrangements with the spa place to move the spa so I'm sure it will be at least a week, if not more!!!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 11:16:55 am »
A great application is having the height of the deck the same height as the first step inside the spa. That way your feet are level and you are balanced stepping in and out.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:17:32 am by Steve »

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 12:01:59 pm »
A great application is having the height of the deck the same height as the first step inside the spa. That way your feet are level and you are balanced stepping in and out.

That makes sense Steve.  But I don't know how high the step is inside my spa (Sundance Cameo) - and there are too many things piled on top of it in the garage for me to be able to get the cover off and measure.  I'm thinking that 18 inches is going to have to suffice - I know that it was comfortable for me at our old house!!!

Thanks,
Susan

Calypso

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:35:04 pm »
Nice post, Calypso. :)

Hopefully the boss thinks all this typing is work related. Engineering books on the desk make it look like work.

Check with your local ready mix company, not the contractor, and they will tell you what strengths are achieved in one weeks time. Their quality control departments will have all of this data for each type of concrete.

Post pictures when you are set up trikkeaddict

2007 Pacific Calypso

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:35:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42