What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My totally spooky soak  (Read 2685 times)

benalexe

My totally spooky soak
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:13:04 pm »
Okay you guys are now going to think I am totally nutz.  9:00 PM My whole house is sleeping. Wife did not feel good tonight and kids sleeping. I went down stairs to debate if I wanted to go in the tub or not.  I do not have my cover lifter yet and was not sure if I wanted to deal with taking the cover off and changing etc.

I went out side beautiful calm evening.  felt the water 95 degrees, and could not resist.   My neighbors house is close by and if they opened their blinds they have direct view of my tub.  but they never open their blinds and it was pitch black out so i said what the heck.  opened the cover only half way dropped the boxers and went in for a nice comfortable soak.  I was sitting there for about 20 minutes and it was all of a sudden like a hurrican ripping throught my backyard.  I have never seen anything like this.  One second it was totally calm out. The next second I really thought some trees were going down.   This scarred the crap out of me as it happened so incredibly fast.   Jumped out of the tub. Cover it and ran inside.  

Still blowing like crazy out there.   Maybe someone up there in the heavens did not like what i got to show!

Man I got to get a life.... the first thing I thought about was coming here to post.

Share your weird and spookey hot tub stories.

Hot Tub Forum

My totally spooky soak
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:13:04 pm »

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
Re: My totally spooky soak
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:05:43 pm »
I would not recommend using the spa with only half the cover on, it can be extremely dangerous.  I had a similar experience with the wind, while I was soaking alone with half the cover on. The wind flipped the cover up and slammed it into my head.  It almost knocked me out, please never use the spa with half the cover on.  
It's all about da bubbles!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:52:00 am »
I have 2 stories.....

Sitting in the tub, a lot like you, it was a calm warm night...all of a sudden a big ball of orange and blue light, then the crack of thunder! It was ball lightning that hit 2 houses down! I did not even bother putting the cover back on, just ran to the house. After the storm, went out to a tub that was overfull of water and many leaves and gunk..great fun to clean up!

Sitting in the tub in the fall. Did not have the jets on, just enjoying the stars. Out of the corner of my eye I see something that looked like trees walking up to the tub, as it gets closer I quickly shrunk down into the tub, thus scaring the deer that was walking up to check it out! Scared the hell out of me, I thought trolls were coming out of the woods (to many horror movies!) ;D
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 12:16:15 pm »
Hillbilly.....those are funny stories!

I wonder if there has ever been a documented case of a person in
a hot tub being struck by lightning?

One time my brother was in his hot tub at sun down in Colorado and
a black bear came slowly rambling up between his cabin and his hot tub
which are about 100-200 feet apart. The bear sniffed around his cabin porch
and was just looking around. My brother was like Oh shhhhhhhhhh!
Then his dog started barking....so the bear pretty quickly moved on.
But it scared him a bit. He said for a moment he felt like being in the tub
was like he was cooking in a pot of stew for the bear's next dinner!
He always soaks with his dog near by now.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:08:05 pm by Zep »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 12:53:26 pm »
I have 2 stories.....

Sitting in the tub, a lot like you, it was a calm warm night...all of a sudden a big ball of orange and blue light, then the crack of thunder! It was ball lightning that hit 2 houses down! I did not even bother putting the cover back on, just ran to the house. After the storm, went out to a tub that was overfull of water and many leaves and gunk..great fun to clean up!

Ball lightning if neat to see if you ever get lucky to see it, you must have a high iron content in the ground around you.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:05:46 pm by Gary »
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 04:26:51 pm »
Being in NH there is high iron content everywhere! Stinks for people with wells filling their hot tubs, nice fresh orange water! We sell lots of metal remover and pre filters!

I wish I was not as scared and paying attention a bit more because it is the only time I have ever seen it. I would like to again, maybe not so up close and personal while soaking in water with 220v going to it!

I dont know if there is a documented case of someone being struck while in a tub, but we have seen a few tubs from this area that have had direct hits, one of them was hit twice by 2 different storms. The first hit we went up to assess the tub and there was a smoked control system, pump and ozone and black lines thoughout the acrylic. While they were waiting for the insurance man, they got hit again this time blowing a hole through the acrylic.

Beleive it or not, they put their replacement tub in the same spot! I think I would have choose a different spot to place my tub in!
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 04:56:53 pm »
"we have seen a few tubs from this area that have had direct hits"[/b]

whoa.....I had never even really thought about getting hit by lightning in the hot tub

but most of my soaking is in the winter when there are less thunder storms

that would be a real bummer, but I guess you'd never even know it if it happened!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 05:14:34 pm »
"we have seen a few tubs from this area that have had direct hits"[/b]

whoa.....I had never even really thought about getting hit by lightning in the hot tub

but most of my soaking is in the winter when there are less thunder storms

that would be a real bummer, but I guess you'd never even know it if it happened!

Zep,
If its really stormy and lightning potential you might want to exit you spa. At a minimum remove your Flavor Flav grill.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 05:14:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42