What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Maintenance questions  (Read 1999 times)

badval

Maintenance questions
« on: June 07, 2008, 02:24:52 am »
I'm probably like a lot of other owners (not here, but in general) - we bought the tub, used it a lot at the beginning, & now rarely go in it.  Maybe once every 2 weeks.

So some questions.....

We use chlorine, but I never dose regularly.  Typically about 2 tbsp once per week.  Also MPS about once per month.    Will also give about 1 tbsp & leave cover off for about an hour before using & add 1 TSP after use before covering.

Water seems just fine.  Other than no chlorine, always tests (with kit or strips) with good levels of pH, hardness, etc.  No funk, slime, foam, floaties or anything.  Strong vinyl smell when opened, but I guess that should be expected from the covers & pillows staying closed up all the time.  Water gets changed about every 5 months.

Is this ok to continue or should I be using a lower maintenance type sanitizer with such infrequent usage and poor upkeep routine?  If so, what?

No ozone BTW.  Tub is Leisure Bay Flores, about 500 gal I think.

Also, the side panel that faces south (gets full NC sun all the time) is fading & warping.  The side panels are pretty much big pieces of plywood with what seem to be a pressed wood slat pattern exterior.  I'm thinking I should just cut & stain new panels all around - would look nicer, but I think the sun & elements would still take their toll.  It's not real bad, but I'm sure will only get worse.  By "warped" i mean bowed in, probably about 3" or so.  The stain is faded a lot though on that side - looks "ashy".

Hot Tub Forum

Maintenance questions
« on: June 07, 2008, 02:24:52 am »

benalexe

Re: Maintenance questions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 08:05:22 am »
Sorry you don't use it much.   I just got mine and I could see that happening. But then again to my kids it is like a swimming pool and they love it.  As of now my plan is going to be to only keep it open in the summer months.  I could see myself the end of september winterizing it ,covering it.  I don't think I will want to deal with the huge winter electric bills.  Also there is something to be said for the excitement of "opening the spa" in the spring.  

As for chemicals, Why don't use use ozone?  Seems to me it would suppllement the time you do not use the spa.   I also use Nature 2.  Maybe you want to consider one of those floating things with the bromine tabs in it so you have to do even less work.  Then again if it is working fine what you are doing then why change?

In terms of the warping and fading sides. is it under warantee???  Maybe contact the manufacturer?

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 10:53:27 am »
How old is the Leisure Bay? I know they had issues with the panels they were using and switched them about a year and a half ago. If you call them and b**** about it loud enough they may send out new panels for you. The warping increases your costs due to the cabinet not being tight and heat loss.

I think your fine with your chemical routine, I just would not let the chlorine level drop to low because this will allow "bugs' to grow. Your tub should of had ozone in it. They all do now in that level. Was it an option the year you purchased yours?

I would suggest you take your pillows out when you are not using it. This will make them last much longer.

Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

badval

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 06:40:47 pm »
It's about 2 years old, maybe a couple months shy of 2 yrs.  I'd have to dig out the receipt to know for sure.

As far as winterizing goes - that might be more trouble than it's worth.  Our electricity bill really didn't seem to notice the tub.  Maybe $10/month increase?  I watched the power bills closely after we got it & the "amount used this month vs amount used this month last year" didn't really change from it - even thru winter.  If anything, we use ours more in the cooler months.  When it's 90­°+ outside, sitting in hot water just isn't as appealing.  You might want to wait & see for that.    

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 06:40:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42