What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need HELP with hot tub issues?????  (Read 3574 times)

dbranco

Need HELP with hot tub issues?????
« on: May 05, 2008, 07:46:07 pm »
I aquired a free Cal spa VIP model 1996...  Real old but in mint shape the tub does not leak and I just had the motor rebuilt.  

Problem 1.  Water comes out of the air intakes on the top of the tub?

2.  I can not get the slow speed to work?  I am going to buy a new slow speed relay and see if that works?

3.)  Finally get the tub to run on high speed and the jet seems to take on lots of air and don't seem very strong at all?

4.) And not all jets are working?  How do I fix those?  

This is my first hot tub and need some help I am getting very fustrated here very quickly.  For right now I am into the tub for 200.00  for the motor rebuild even if I was into the tub for 500.00 it would still be a deal I think..

Thanks
Dan

Hot Tub Forum

Need HELP with hot tub issues?????
« on: May 05, 2008, 07:46:07 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Need HELP with hot tub issues?????
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 07:55:38 pm »
#1 and #4 are related. Some of the seals in the jets have failed. Normally the jets suck air through the air intakes. The jets with good seals are now sucking water through the jets with the bad seals...as well as jets with bad seals forcing water backwards up through the air intakes.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

dbranco

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 08:05:30 pm »
So do I replace the jets?  And How I figuire how many jets the seals are bad?  

And 1 and 4 are related?  Saying when I fix the low speed will it pump more water thru the jets?

Thanks

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 09:23:29 pm »
So do I replace the jets?  And How I figuire how many jets the seals are bad?  

And 1 and 4 are related?  Saying when I fix the low speed will it pump more water thru the jets?

Thanks

I think he is saying that if you fix #4, you will also have resolved #1.  The experts on here may be able to give you a way to identify the faulty ones.  I don't have a clue.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 10:04:09 pm »
The failed seals are internal of the jets. The jets don't need replacing, just the internal seals.

Replacing the seals might fix #1, #3 & #4
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 10:22:29 pm »
Those tubs I will say are a b*itch to get all of the air out of the system if yours has the skimmer & pressurized filter. It may take some time to bleed the air out of the filter cap to get everything running smoothly. Your pump may run on high speed if you have it set to freeze protection and not on the timer. It will run on high till it hits a certain temp.  I worked a couple last year they were both forrest marble green and give me a large headache. I wish you a speedy fix, patience & all the best with your tub

dbranco

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 07:01:25 am »
Can someone give me some help on how to change out the internal seals???

Does that mean I have to pull out all of the insualtion to get at it?  Or can I get at it from inside of the tub by taking the jets out.  If it's pulling the insualtion out I think I will just get rid of here and be done with it.

I will try to sell the motor on ebay or locally and not deal with it, I have heard stories about trying to look for leaks and replacing anything in the tub??

Thanks
Dan

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 04:00:33 pm »
The part of the jet you see on the inside of the tub is called the jet internal. The part on the backside in the foam is the housing, when you take the internal jet out, you will see the inside of the housing. Those jets should turn, I am not sure which way and come out. Most the ones I have see is turn counter clockwise till they click, then pull them out. Some jets have jet clips inside them to hold them in, you would be able to see a littlebutton/lever looking this that you push inside the circle part of the jet. to replace the seals, you have to get the jets out. This may not be easy in a tub of that age if no one ever took them out and cleaned them.

This might also be part of #4, if the jets are turned off (turn them on and off by turning the face of the jet) then they will not work.

If you get the jets out, the seals are very easy to replace as you will see.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

dbranco

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »
Brought the relay to work and the maint guy checked it and it was good?  What else could it be that the slow speed does not work?  
The motor was benched tested and the place it was rebuilt and I beleive them they are quality people.

Any other electrical part that could not make the slow speed work???

Thanks
Dan

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:40:53 am »
The circuit board in the control pak it self, or possibly a topside issue if when bench tested there was low and high speed.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 01:21:50 pm »
How is the wiring to the pump motor itself?

i.e. Is it correct?  Is the cord in good condition?  What is the condition of the plug-in?
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 01:21:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42