What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozonator  (Read 4255 times)

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
Ozonator
« on: April 27, 2008, 01:48:41 pm »
I've got a Hot Spring Grandee that is about 18 months old. I noticed recently that the amount of bubbles being produced "seems" to be less than it used to be. In this short a time, could the ozonator be functioning at diminished levels? Anything else I should check? Is this a good time to have the dealer come out? How much less is still OK? Any of you veterans have a rule of thumb on how long the ozonators should last?
Thanks!
BearBath

Hot Tub Forum

Ozonator
« on: April 27, 2008, 01:48:41 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Ozonator
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 02:07:22 pm »
The amount of bubbles has nothing to do with the amount of ozone. Even with the ozonator unplugged you should get the same amout of bubbles ... it is a function of the venturi - it creats a vacuum that sucks the air in the ozone tube. Maybe something else is going on (stuck check valve).

How old is the water? As water ages the buubles take on a different size - maybe that's what you're seeing.

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 05:26:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply! The water is rather old. I try to wait in the fall until the latest possible moment, so it probably dates from just before Thanksgiving. I'll get to changing it when the spring yard stuff is done! I'm still getting good flow of water through that port in the bottom of the tub.
Just so I understand this, doesn't the ozonator produce some bubbling too? Is the O just dissolved? I've found that I can reduce the bubbles by turning the waterfall up higher and I thought that was a bad thing, because I equate bubbles with Ozone. If I shouldn't equate the two, I might turn the waterfall up higher.
Cheers,
BearBath

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 05:36:28 pm »
No direct relationship between bubbles and ozone.

A couple of other things.  There is an ozone injector procedure.  Check your owners manual.  Also, check your circ pump filter, the one with the grey stand pipe.  If clogged, it will restrict flow.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
Re: Ozonator working?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 07:18:19 pm »
So... if the bubbles don't tell you whether the ozonator is working, how do you know if it working? Because of my installation, it is an ordeal to get the access panel off and grub around inside. I'll do it, if I really need to do the test.
Thanks!
BearBath

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 07:48:22 pm »
Since its a HS grandee that's only 18 months old I would think you have a cd unit but I don't know for sure.

The 2 ways to tell are from smell - ozone is produced by lightning so if you ever smelled the air after a lightning storm ... that's the smell (kind of swee - same as an arcing smell) and by looking to see if there is an indicator. The problem with the indicator method is that there could be a clog somewhere else in the circuit and you wouldn't know.

Did you change the water?

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 08:43:30 pm »
Vinny,
No, I have not changed the water yet.
What is a CD unit? Is there an indicator light or something on the display that would let me know?
Thanks!
BearBath

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:36:33 am »
No direct relationship between bubbles and ozone.

A couple of other things.  There is an ozone injector procedure.  Check your owners manual.  Also, check your circ pump filter, the one with the grey stand pipe.  If clogged, it will restrict flow.
Whoops!  I meant ozone injector [glow]cleaning[/glow] procedure. ;)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 10:41:30 am »
Vinny,
No, I have not changed the water yet.
What is a CD unit? Is there an indicator light or something on the display that would let me know?
Thanks!
BearBath

CD is Corona Discharge.  It is the method of making the ozone.  With CD ozonators, you either have ozone or you don't.  No reduction.

There really is no test to see if it is working.  If you took the panel off you might hear or feel a humming ozone unit.

We often pour enzyme product in the filter compartment with jets off.  It has a wonderful effect on the bubbles.

Ultimately, you need to change the water.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 02:15:47 pm »
Although I do not know about the newer hot springs, but most ozonators have a light that indicates if it is working or not on the ozonator. From what we have seen, ozone chips can last 6 months and up. Most seem to last about 2 years depending on how much the ozone is run. If there is no light you could slide the tube off the end of the ozonator while it is running and you should shortly be able to smell the ozone under the cabinet. Either way you would have to look under the cabinet. You should do this anyway, just take a peek and make sure you do not have any unwanted residents or moisture, just as you open the hood on your car to check things.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 11:35:21 pm »
My ozonator appeared to stop working and I called the dealer for service.  They came out and replaced the check valve which solved the problem.  07 Sundance Optima with CD ozonator.
"Growing older but not up..."

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 11:35:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42