What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Replacing Ozonator  (Read 4186 times)

realjet

• Nordic Crown
Replacing Ozonator
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:19:39 am »
I have a a Nordic Crown hot tub and it has an ozonator. I asked the local dealer how do you know if it's working and she said that when it was running there should be a "glow" in the little window. I checked mine when I got home and I didn't see any "glow". Is it time to replace it?

She also said that they typically need to be replaced every 1 1/2 years. The spa is at least 4 years old.

Thanks,
Bill

Hot Tub Forum

Replacing Ozonator
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:19:39 am »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Replacing Ozonator
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 11:04:43 am »
I've said it before... many people praise their ozone system and "can't live without it" when in reality, they most likely haven't had ozone in their spa for years! I've seen this played out many times as most don't relaize that you'll only get 1-2 years from it.

If you haven't noticed a significant difference, why go through the cost to replace it? :-/

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 11:27:57 am »
A UV ozonator uses an ultraviolet florescent bulb to create, or convert oxygen to, ozone. The frequency of the light output has to be very specific to produce ozone. Over time, the frequency changes. Generally a UV ozonator will product acceptable levels of ozone over 10,000 hours of use. After that, the bulb will still light, but it won't be producing much ozone. Heck, the bulb could continue to light up for 100,000 hours.... but it wont be producing ozone.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:46:31 am »
Just a heads up.

I just installed ozone in my tub, by myself I must add, no small feat for a man with two left hands. I noticed the light was not coming on when the tub was turned on. Of course I thought it was do to installation but after checking with a tech, they let me know that the ozone only turns on when in filteration mode, not when the user turns on the tub. This is a safeguard to prevent users from inhaleing the ozone. Sure enough when the tub went into filtration mode, the light went on.

This might be the same with your tub?

Cyn

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 04:38:36 pm »
I have ozone (because the ozonator came with the spa) and I have N-2 (because it too came with the spa).  I have replaced the N-2 at the required intervals and I use dichlor.  I dose with dichlor after using the tub and there have been plenty of times when I am unable to use the tub for 4 or so days and I do not end up with cloudy water.  Question:  are my results due to the ozone, N-2, dichlor combo or is it the N-2 only helping out the dichlor?  The responses on this thread make me think it is all the N-2.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 04:55:24 pm »
I have ozone (because the ozonator came with the spa) and I have N-2 (because it too came with the spa).  I have replaced the N-2 at the required intervals and I use dichlor.  I dose with dichlor after using the tub and there have been plenty of times when I am unable to use the tub for 4 or so days and I do not end up with cloudy water.  Question:  are my results due to the ozone, N-2, dichlor combo or is it the N-2 only helping out the dichlor?  The responses on this thread make me think it is all the N-2.

I would say your positive results are due to all three but in order or merit I'd give the kudos to the dichlor, the ozone and then the N2.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 04:55:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42