What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deck builder coming in an hour and tips????  (Read 11382 times)

Saved by Grace

Re: Deck builder coming in an hour and tips????
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 07:10:04 pm »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  We just got back from Menards where I was going to order the same composite decking we used two years ago when we first built our deck.  On Saturday on our way home after buying our tub we stopped in and checked on the lead time and we were told 7 to 10 days.  This evening we were told two to three weeks.  :(  We can go through a different supplier and get a little different type and have it next week but it would cost us about an additional $250 to $300.

The last thing we want is to have our hot tub sitting in a warehouse as I call Menards every day for an order status.  So I guess we'll have to spend the extra money so our deck looks really nice under the hot tub.....

As far as height from the top of the tub our builder told us the same distance of 18".  I wonder if that is too high for getting out of the tub.  It seems like the step in the J480 (which is really nice with the light in it by the way) is lower than that and it might be hard to get out if the deck is higher than that Jacuzzi step.  Not knowing how it would work is why I think adding stuff afterwards is such a great idea.  We can do a lot of experimenting to figure out what works best for us.

And go figure.....more snow on the way.  We are under a snow warning with 5 to 12 inches expected by the time it ends on Saturday morning.  I'll be plowing my yard instead of my driveway.

In His Peace,
Fred

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 07:10:04 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 07:42:40 pm »
 I don't have a J-480 here, but I measured the J-470 and 18" looks pretty good, should come out just a bit lower than the inside (LIGHTED) step.  From the top down at 39" the inside step is aprrox 19 " down.   I am pretty sure the measurements are the same give or take a half inch where the inside step sits.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 07:43:38 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Saved by Grace

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 07:52:04 pm »
Thanks Jim.  I wasn't quite sure how far down that LIGHTED step was.  I just remember that the LIGHT on the step was very easy to see even with all the jets going and made it very easy to get in the tub because all you had to do was put your foot on the LIGHT.

In His Peace,
Fred

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 08:18:32 pm »
 No problem with that LIGHTED step measurement!!  It is a nice feature!!!   ;D

Saved by Grace

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 08:52:57 pm »
Seriously, we rated features we would look for between 1-10.  Like having a lounge was an 8, space was a 10, controls was a 7, jets was an 8 and so on...  We rated easy in and out a 9 because of wanting our moms and my father-in-law to be able enjoy the tub (not to mention we're not getting any younger).  This was very important to us.  The Grandee had a nice set of steps so that was a plus on it.  However, the light and step in the Jacuzzi was wonderful.  My mom acually wet tested it (I also got in again while my wife was attending to the paperwork).  My mom was getting over a broken arm from falling 4 weeks prior on the ice in her driveway.  So her arm was still very tender.  Getting in the Jacuzzi was very easy for her as I helped and told her to just "step on the light".  It may sound petty to some, but for us it was/is very important.

In His Peace,
Fred

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 10:55:12 pm »
I built a flat deck, but also built steps around the front two sides.  For me, that made way more sense than a built in.  It is easy to work on, and if I move and the new owners don't like spas, then no harm done.  The steps split in the middle.  It is hard to see, but if you look closely you will see the line right at the pergola post.  So to access the panel, I simply pull the one side of the step away.  Even if I need to pull both sides away, the pergola can stay since the steps are built around it.  Trick huh?  The pergola posts look like they are solid cedar, but I built them hollow.  That way I was able to run wire for speakers in two corners and I also run an extention cord through from time to time for Christmas lights, etc.  The steps running all the way around both sides are really nice and safe after too much wine :-)

Steven~

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:02:01 pm by NorthWoodsDipper »

Tailhooker

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 11:31:12 pm »
I built a flat deck, but also built steps around the front two sides.  For me, that made way more sense than a built in.  It is easy to work on, and if I move and the new owners don't like spas, then no harm done.  The steps split in the middle.  It is hard to see, but if you look closely you will see the line right at the pergola post.  So to access the panel, I simply pull the one side of the step away.  Even if I need to pull both sides away, the pergola can stay since the steps are built around it.  Trick huh?  The pergola posts look like they are solid cedar, but I built them hollow.  That way I was able to run wire for speakers in two corners and I also run an extention cord through from time to time for Christmas lights, etc.  The steps running all the way around both sides are really nice and safe after too much wine :-)

Steven~

Nice Deck

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 09:14:35 am »
As soon as I read the beginning of this thread the other day, I thought of YOU..Northwoods. Your set up probably sticks in my mind more than any that I have ever seen..it is beautiful.
I just showed it to my husband and he was very impressed too...You may be the inspiration that we need to change our deck..I love the railings, the layout of the deck, and the tub steps. This is Better Homes and Gardens material... ;)..very very nice!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Saved by Grace

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 08:29:50 pm »
Steve, Beautiful layout.
Fred

Spatini

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 09:20:39 pm »
Northwoods, that a mighty fine lookin layout ya got there

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 10:30:47 pm »
That is really nice looking!!!
 ;)

2008 Jacuzzi J-470

PRGUY

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 01:32:19 pm »
Next time, consider using the Deck Designer Tool
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:10:29 am by Forum Admin »

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 09:54:08 pm »

Actually PRGUY, I did look at that site when I started designing.  However, it seemed very limited as to what it could do for me.  So I decided to design my deck by myself.

Steven~
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:10:56 am by Forum Admin »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 09:54:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42