What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Costco Discovery Spa Models  (Read 7823 times)

hottubman57

Costco Discovery Spa Models
« on: March 08, 2008, 06:08:12 pm »
Good afternoon,

I am in the market to buy a portable spa.  A friend advised me to check this website for good information.  This advice has been right on the mark.  I've read a lot of postings and comments from knowledgeable industry folks and hot tub users that have provided valuable information and insights.    

As a family guy living in the SF Bay Area, making a good purchase at value for dollar is a critical need.  Costco.com sells "Discovery" brand spas.  They seem to be well priced with nice seating configurations and satisfactory number/type of jets.  I did an Internet search, however, and could find no info on Discovery brand spas.  I am concerned about possible warranty, customer support and servicing issues.  The ad provides an 800 number and a infinityspas.net web address.  Perhaps they are the manufacturer for this Costco store brand?  

Any feedback you Hot Tub forum members could provide about Discovery / Infinity spas, insights about purchasing through Costco, or anything else would be much appreciated.  Cheers!  

Hot Tub Forum

Costco Discovery Spa Models
« on: March 08, 2008, 06:08:12 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Costco Discovery Spa Models
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:42:13 pm »
Your concerns are valid.  Of course you want to make a wise purchase.  We have sold many spas to folks who have returned spas to Costco.

Major issues:

1.  While it may cost less to buy, it costs more to own.  Typically Costco spas are not energy efficient.  Cost of operation can be 2 to 3 times more vs. a more energy efficient tub.
2.  No support.  Hard to get warranty work done.
3.  Getting it into the back yard.

Good luck with your search.  Where do you live in the bay area?  Do you have a proposed budget?

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 06:46:14 pm »
Good luck with service. Being in the Bay Area myself, and knowing a lot of the service techs around here, most are so over worked the last thing they're interested in is taking on more work, that pays a minimal amount (most "warranty" work pays squat). I'd find out who's going to be doing service, and personally talk to them first.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 07:37:55 pm »
Many dealers have spas for like dollars to what you would spend at Costco, particularly when you factor in your real cost, like delivery to your back yard not just dropped curbside in the front of your home, steps, chems, start-up and service. Also as it has been mentioned the cost to operate is usually more. Also no matter how much it is stressed to wet test the reality is very few do. But with a Costco spa you can not even sit in it dry. I would look at dealers in your area and try and find perhaps a close out or something that dealer can be more flexible on.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 01:41:11 pm »
I'd find out who's going to be doing service, and personally talk to them first.

In cases like this that service person too often is the owner himself and talking to yourself will just get the neighbors thinking you're a bit odd!! ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 06:15:24 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 05:44:28 pm »
It depends.

I have a friend that bought a new low end tub from the
Rec Warehouse and he is as happy as a lark and uses
his tub more than I do. He has not had a single problem.
If he does, hey he may have to pay a couple of hundred to
get something fixed down the road. If you live in a big city,
and something ever goes wrong there are plenty of hot tub
repair techs.

Me, I have trouble putting gas in my own car. I am not at all
a "do-it-yourselfer"  and Costco tubs involve alot more
"do it yourself".  It's a personal decision but I prefer to pay
a little extra and get the delivery/set-up/advice and if ever
needed warranty work from a spa dealer.

ps: Can you "wet test" a Costco tub?

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 09:35:17 pm »
It depends.

I have a friend that bought a new low end tub from the
Rec Warehouse and he is as happy as a lark and uses
his tub more than I do. He has not had a single problem.
If he does, hey he may have to pay a couple of hundred to
get something fixed down the road. If you live in a big city,
and something ever goes wrong there are plenty of hot tub
repair techs.

Me, I have trouble putting gas in my own car. I am not at all
a "do-it-yourselfer"  and Costco tubs involve alot more
"do it yourself".  It's a personal decision but I prefer to pay
a little extra and get the delivery/set-up/advice and if ever
needed warranty work from a spa dealer.

ps: Can you "wet test" a Costco tub?

Of course, Rec Warehouse will deliver and set up your hot tub.  They will even provide service.  This is all done through an independent service provider there in DFW, but it is all coordinated through the local Rec service number.  Now, I am not at all an advocate for Rec - in fact,  I think they are among the lowest of the bottom feeders out there, but they at least do have local service - something that Costco does not quite provide.

Personally, I'd never buy from Costco because of the 800 number service line.  I'd never buy from Rec either.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 08:36:14 am »

Of course, Rec Warehouse will deliver and set up your hot tub.  They will even provide service.  This is all done through an independent service provider there in DFW, but it is all coordinated through the local Rec service number.  Now, I am not at all an advocate for Rec - in fact,  I think they are among the lowest of the bottom feeders out there, but they at least do have local service - something that Costco does not quite provide.

Personally, I'd never buy from Costco because of the 800 number service line.  I'd never buy from Rec either.

Interesting that Hot Springs/Watkins has such a close relationship with Rec Warehouse.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Vanguard

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 09:17:59 am »

Interesting that Hot Springs/Watkins has such a close relationship with Rec Warehouse.

That is one thing that never ceases to amaze me.  I've never understood it myself.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:18:23 am by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 10:53:16 am »
"Interesting that Hot Springs/Watkins has such a
close relationship with Rec Warehouse"

whats that mean?

don't tell me my buddy that bought a Rec Warehouse has a "stealth Hot Springs"?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:53:37 am by Zep »

Vanguard

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 10:29:23 pm »
Rec Warehouse, in addition to their low-end Leisure Bay line, carries the top end Caldera spas in many stores and even some stores carry Hot Spring.  They kind of pick and choose what they will carry in the store.  Only when there is not a Hot Spring dealer in the market will they get Hot Spring..

The DFW locations carry Caldera.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:30:01 pm by aquatub »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 09:12:32 am »
Rec Warehouse, in addition to their low-end Leisure Bay line, carries the top end Caldera spas in many stores and even some stores carry Hot Spring.  They kind of pick and choose what they will carry in the store.  Only when there is not a Hot Spring dealer in the market will they get Hot Spring..

The DFW locations carry Caldera.

Tallahassee RW carries HS...
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 09:12:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42