What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filter cleaning ?  (Read 7653 times)

dirtrubber

• red on the head
Filter cleaning ?
« on: February 23, 2008, 03:22:49 pm »
I out of filter cleaner what will work that i could get local without trip to dealer 80 miles round trip

Hot Tub Forum

Filter cleaning ?
« on: February 23, 2008, 03:22:49 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Filter cleaning ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 03:25:37 pm »
I out of filter cleaner what will work that i could get local without trip to dealer 80 miles round trip

Cascade dishwasher detergent or TSP both do the job.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 06:49:35 pm »
If using either of the above, RINSE REALLY WELL! Not sure if I would recommend dishwashing detergent... You could end up with a real soapy mess in your tub!

You could also put your filters in bleach for 5 or 10 minutes and then rinse them and let dry. Alternating filters is always best.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 09:24:39 am »
If using either of the above, RINSE REALLY WELL! Not sure if I would recommend dishwashing detergent... You could end up with a real soapy mess in your tub!

You could also put your filters in bleach for 5 or 10 minutes and then rinse them and let dry. Alternating filters is always best.

I use filter cleaner and alternate.  Unicel instructs to use either a) filter cleaner, b) one cup TSP to five gallons water, or c) one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons water.  I agree, rinse very well.

www.unicelfilters.com
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:26:17 am by tony »

dirtrubber

• red on the head
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 04:26:21 pm »
I tried the dishwasher detergent it worked pretty good,  rinsed well no foam

spa-ing

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 02:43:35 pm »
I've never needed to use anything but hot water and a spray nozzel from the sink.

tinybubbles

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 03:24:22 pm »
First time I used filter cleaner I got major bubbles.  Now I give filters a quick dip in diluted bleach and rinse before reinstalling.  This seems to get rid of any residual filter cleaner.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:11:59 pm »
As for as detergents go -

Dishwashing - NO

Dishwasher - YES this is specifically designed not to foam!

SPORT

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:07:42 pm »
Hot Spring Tub company encourage washing their filters in the dishwasher with detergent, and they guarantee their filters for 10 years.

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 01:27:50 pm »
I have found vinegar to work well.  Since it's been cold out, I fill the bathtub 1/2 full of water, add 1/2 gal of vinegar.  After soaking the filters for a short time, you can just see the soap and residue floating on the water.  Then I take the shower sprayer, and any remaining residue comes right off the filter pleats.  The water is pretty gross.  I drain and rinse again with the sprayer, and my filters look great.
I am by no means an expert on this subject, but this seems to work well for me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:28:19 pm by rnblase »

TubsAndCues

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 02:30:34 pm »
Does your dealer sell chems online?  Or would he ship to you?

Micah

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 07:24:37 pm »
I've never needed to use anything but hot water and a spray nozzel from the sink.
Isn't that like taking a shower, but not bothering to use soap.  
Your filters remove not only all the bacteria, but body oils and hard water deposits.  Do you really want to "just hose them off"?
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

SPORT

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 07:45:45 am »
Does your dealer sell chems online?  Or would he ship to you?

In addition to Spa-ing's response,

It's kinda like the lint trap (the metal screen type) in your dryer.  After removing all the lint, try running water through it.  Chances are water will puddle on top of the screen and  not flow through very well.  Now take warm water, soap and a sponge and clean the screen then try running water through the screen again.  You may notice an increased flow through the screen (no puddling).  This is because 'Bounce' or other similar products leave a residue (much like the oils of your body) in the filter and can reduce the filtration effectiveness; AND may lead to burning a motor or heating coil.

Just my $0.02 worth.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 07:47:23 am by SPORT »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 09:08:30 am »
I am a firm believer in filter cleaner or other appropriate cleaning product.  Cleaners cut soaps, oils, etc that inevitably get filtered out and end up in the filter medium.  Rinsing, IMO, is not as thorough.  The interval between deep cleanings is debatable, though, and rinsing filters periodically withing that interval makes good sense.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 09:12:41 am »
I am a firm believer in filter cleaner or other appropriate cleaning product.  Cleaners cut soaps, oils, etc that inevitably get filtered out and end up in the filter medium.  Rinsing, IMO, is not as thorough.  The interval between deep cleanings is debatable, though, and rinsing filters periodically withing that interval makes good sense.

Totally agree!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 09:12:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42