What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why a "Chemical Soup"?  (Read 3096 times)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Why a "Chemical Soup"?
« on: January 27, 2008, 05:26:24 pm »
There have been a number of posts about this phrase and I’d like to comment on it.

It seems the only time the phrase “chemical soup” is used is when discussing bromine vs. chlorine. It's a way of saying,
      "Chlorine must be better because it disperses so quickly and bromine is always in the water."
Considering all the other chemicals required to keep the water in a hot tub from becoming stagnant, it's kind of foolish to single out how the lack of one chemical (in this case, chlorine) means that one's tub is not a chemical soup.

If you're talking about the difference between a mountain stream and say, a river by an industrial factory in a 3rd world country (or certain parts of the US, for that matter), I do understand that. But in reference to hot tubs, it doesn't make much sense.

How does 2 to 3 parts per million of bromine in water magically turn my tub water into a chemical soup?
Have we forgotten that chemicals have to be used in all hot tubs? How else does one balance PH, alkalinity or calcium hardness without using chemicals? How about water softeners or metal removers? Besides ozone, I'm pretty sure there are no chemicals that will dissipate so nothing is left. Don't all these chemicals contribute in making every hot tub a "chemical soup"?

I have had my spa for almost 3 years. I have always used bromine. It’s what my dealer started me out with but I like it. If I found something better, I would have changed. For me, bromine is more convenient - I know my tub is sanitized even if I forget or am out of town for a few days or longer!
Does the bromine smell make a hot tub a “chemical soup”? My neighbor has a hot tub and he uses chlorine. I've been in his hot tub and I’ve noticed it does not smell like fresh water. Maybe it’s not chlorine in the water but it does have a definite smell. I’m assuming it’s the other chemicals. My spa with bromine also has a smell but it’s slightly different. Not better or worse, just different. So what?

Does bromine cause water to have a bad “feel” to it? I have not noticed any difference between my water (with bromine) and my neighbor’s water (using chlorine) in the feel of the water.

Again, why all this silliness about bromine?

I'm suggesting we get away from the phrase "chemical soup". It’s meaningless. All hot tubs are chemical soups unless you replace the water on a weekly basis!

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

Why a "Chemical Soup"?
« on: January 27, 2008, 05:26:24 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Why a "Chemical Soup"?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 06:03:57 pm »
I thought the term "chemical soup" refered to all tubs that use anything other than enzymes (The Natural or Eco one for example). At least that was my interpetation. People who use enzymes seem not to put anything else as their PH goes high and supposedly the enzymes are softer on the heater core.

Some people are against chlorine because of a certain chemical that is released when used that may be carcinagenic (sp?). I personally don't use bromine because I would need a floater and don't want one. Also, chlorine seems to be a little cheaper to run. I would have tried bromine had the tub had a dispenser like Sundance or Emerald, I agree thaat once you get the opening correct it probably is easier.

Chlorine can smell if the user doesn't take care of the water properly. I have smelled chlorine on my kids when they swim at someone elses pool. I have never smelt what bromine smells like so I can't comment on that.

BTW, I haven't read that term in a while. Not that I read every post. I guess the only advantage  of chlorine is that we are not soaking in a santizer that may dry out our skin. This advantage is offset that when we do soak we are not protected from bacteria the way bromine or people who dose with chlorine before (which is the correct "official" way to add chlorine) are.

Cyn

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 06:11:47 pm »
I agree with Vinny...haven't heard the phrase 'chemical soup' in a long time, but I tend to scan a lot of posts so I might have missed something recently.  

We all have our preferences and some of us have changed preferences over time.  Sorry that you feel bromine is getting a bad rep.  I have only been on this forum for a little over 6 months and I had always been impressed with the fact that you could use either method, chlorine or bromine, and still find excellent advice if your water chemistry got away from you.  

clover

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 06:21:20 pm »
Ozone - Chlorine – Bromine, they are all used to sanitize the spa.  Ozone is the only one that does not contribute to the TDS accumulation.  I will not suggest or recommend the virtues of one over the other, but chlorine and bromine both contribute and accumulate in the TDS.  They alone, however do not make a "chemical soup".  You have to stir in some pH adjusters along with alkalinity increaser, some stain and scale, more chlorine, and or bromine, accompanied by some anti-foam, water clarifier, and the list can go on.  Add to this, some perspiration, body waste materials, dead skin, shampoo and hair and Cover it to simmer at 102°.  This is what I would call a “chemical stew” and a good reason for us to change our water 3 to 4 times a year, if not more often, as needed.

On the other hand, some of us may not be all too familiar with such a “chemical stew”.  While we still may use chlorine or bromine, some of us regularly, some of us occasionally, but nevertheless, as needed, accompanied by ozone.  Ozone does a terrific job of keeping clean water and not needing a lot of those “unnecessary” chemicals that blend together to create a “chemical stew”.

On service, I have seen a lot of bad water that would qualify as “chemical stew”.  People seem to think it’s normal, but it would gag others.  The first thing I check is the Ozonator and sure enough, it’s dead.  We put a new ozonator on, change the filter, add new water and the customer continues to be amazed with water clarity a month later.

The point is, we don’t need to contend with “chemical soup” or “chemical stew”, but more often than not, IF you have “chemical stew”, you don’t have ozone, or one that works.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 06:21:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42