What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Heating Question  (Read 7071 times)

thatbpguy

Heating Question
« on: January 13, 2008, 06:23:17 am »
OK, my new Calderon Oasis arrived. After the prelims, I fill it and plug that baby in. The initial water temp was 53 degrees. Nine hours later the temp is 67 degrees.

Isn't this thing warming up a bit slow?

Hot Tub Forum

Heating Question
« on: January 13, 2008, 06:23:17 am »

anne

Re: Heating Question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 06:24:54 am »
yep- too slow, but others here will be more help to you. I get about 6-9 deg/hr, 390 gal.
Dance like nobody's watching

thatbpguy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:34:30 am »
Great. A new spa and it's malfunctioning. Why me?

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 07:26:07 am »
 I believe a 110 V spa only heats 1-2 degrees an hour. Atleast that's what I've read. And it sounds like it's a pretty close estimate from the looks of things. Since your spa is on 110V instead of a 220V configuration(I beileive you can still have it converted), your heater output is only 1000w compared to 4000w with a hardwired 220V.

My J-345 is hardwired and I get between 5-6 degrees an hour from just my heater. Depending on how much I want to run my pumps during this time I can get another degree or two an hour. Anne's 6-9 degree an hour quote is either a mistype because she has something else on her mind or she has the best heater in any spa I've heard of.  ;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:48:25 am by WHY_NOT »

thatbpguy

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 10:39:17 am »
I believe a 110 V spa only heats 1-2 degrees an hour. Atleast that's what I've read. And it sounds like it's a pretty close estimate from the looks of things. Since your spa is on 110V instead of a 220V configuration(I beileive you can still have it converted), your heater output is only 1000w compared to 4000w with a hardwired 220V.

My J-345 is hardwired and I get between 5-6 degrees an hour from just my heater. Depending on how much I want to run my pumps during this time I can get another degree or two an hour. Anne's 6-9 degree an hour quote is either a mistype because she has something else on her mind or she has the best heater in any spa I've heard of.  ;) :D ;D

Really? It would be normal to take 48 hours to heat up my spa? On a dedicated circuit?

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:51:56 am »

Really? It would be normal to take 48 hours to heat up my spa? On a dedicated circuit?
First, correct me if I'm wrong but your spa is running on a 110 V. You just plugged it into the wall.

If this is so, then-
Yeah, worst case scenario. Depending on the ambient temp, winds, and how dilligent you are about keeping the cover tightly closed.

With your current conditions based on what you posted earlier, you're averaging 1.56 degrees an hour. At that pace it should only take a total of 30 hours.

Keep in mind that it's the dead of winter, so your starting fill water is alot colder out the tap then during typical refilling seasons and instead of the ambient temps slowing down the heat up time they'll actually help a little. I bet in the summer you'll be able to refill in under 15 hours.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:03:41 am by WHY_NOT »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 11:09:06 am »

Chill. ;)

When you bought your spa your dealer should have told you that a 110v spa takes 24 hours or so to heat.

The good news is once it is up to temp you shuld have no problem maintaining the temp, as long as you are using spa no longer than about 1/2 hour at a time.

If you are going to use it longer than that you should consider converting to 220v.  However, at that point you have significant installation costs and I know you are on a budget.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

thatbpguy

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 01:28:54 pm »

Chill. ;)

When you bought your spa your dealer should have told you that a 110v spa takes 24 hours or so to heat.

The good news is once it is up to temp you shuld have no problem maintaining the temp, as long as you are using spa no longer than about 1/2 hour at a time.

If you are going to use it longer than that you should consider converting to 220v.  However, at that point you have significant installation costs and I know you are on a budget.

Here's my thinking.

It's a less than 300 gallon hot tub. Yes, it's on a 110, but I ran a separate line for the hot tub alone. The cover is on and I read it would take 14-24 hours to fully heat. I'm actually fine with it heating slow so long as that's the norm. I just don't want to have a heating problem and fully realize it later. "limited" warranties always scare me.

Brookenstein

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 01:50:12 pm »
I think you are okay.  I've got a 450 gallon HS Envoy and it has only ever heated at 3-4 degrees an hour where as a lot of others on here (with 220) heat at least 6.  Luckily I live in SoCal and the last time I did a water change the water started at 73 degrees.   :)  I average about 10 hours to heat, unless I do a dead of winter change and my water is a lot colder.

Just make sure you are leaving the lid closed and not constantly opening it to check things.  Its kind of like a crock pot, that it takes a while to recover after you remove the lid.

thatbpguy

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 04:14:01 pm »
I think you are okay.  I've got a 450 gallon HS Envoy and it has only ever heated at 3-4 degrees an hour where as a lot of others on here (with 220) heat at least 6.  Luckily I live in SoCal and the last time I did a water change the water started at 73 degrees.   :)  I average about 10 hours to heat, unless I do a dead of winter change and my water is a lot colder.

Just make sure you are leaving the lid closed and not constantly opening it to check things.  Its kind of like a crock pot, that it takes a while to recover after you remove the lid.

Makes sense.

I also like your avitar.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 08:41:46 am »

Dedicated circuit has nothing to do with this.  Your heater is either running or it's not-  The dedicated circuit is there because it's either required by code, or the heater pulls so much power when it's running that there isn't enough to spare for anything else that may be sharing the power on the circuit.

I don't know much about your spa, but it is plausible that if you're on 120V, it could take long time to heat the water.  My spa's heater output is somewhere around 5000 watts, and I get about 5 degrees per hour or so.  That's on a 220v circuit.  

Do the specifications in your owners manual give the heater output in watts?  

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:46:44 am by Brewman »
Brewman

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 01:32:15 pm »

I just don't want to have a heating problem and fully realize it later. "limited" warranties always scare me.

Watkins' (including Caldera) limited warranties are among the most competitive in the industry.

This is part of the value of buying a new tub from an industry leader.

Best advice:  Relax & Enjoy your new spa!

By the way - Chad's right on about lower wattage 110v heaters.  They can be less convenient in cold weather.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 01:33:53 pm by BauerN »
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 10:01:36 pm »
Most warranties are limited.  All that might mean is that their are conditions and exclusions on there, like no coverage for abuse, negligence, acts of some diety or other, war, pestillence, earthquake, termites, those are all things that limit a warranty.  
 Time is another limit- no spa out there has a lifetime warranty.  

Brewman

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 01:40:09 am »
Time is another limit- no spa out there has a lifetime warranty.  

But my Watkins from 1986 (HS Sovereign) is still running beautifully!  ;D

BTW, it's a 110v and takes about 1 day to heat up to 103. From there, it's never an issue...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 01:41:57 am by st18901 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 01:40:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42