What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shocking question  (Read 3412 times)

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
Shocking question
« on: December 31, 2007, 12:01:51 pm »
    I need a question answered. After soaking to freashly fallen snow this morning It occured to me that it was time to shock my tub and also add my post soak dichlor. Should I shock 1st, wait 1/2 hour then add dichlor. Add dichlor first  then shock or is there a recomended way to do it.

Hot Tub Forum

Shocking question
« on: December 31, 2007, 12:01:51 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Shocking question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:19:28 pm »
I'm assuming your shocking with mps.

I believe the consensus says to add the mps shock dose first, wait 30 minutes or so and then add your dichlor dose. This will help ensure that your dichlor dose is being used more for sanitizing purposes than for oxidizing. Sometimes I add them both at the same time as there are products called enhanced shock that contain both mps and dichlor. Personally, I'd add them either at the same time or mps first.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:23:55 pm by WHY_NOT »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:20:25 pm »
you should add 1/2 teaspoon dichlor per 100 gallons for your soak. Then add 1 teaspoon per 100 gallons for your shock treatment. If you're using dichlor after each use, you should be shocking with dichlor as well.

I'll probably get rung-through-the-ringer by others here for that statement, but we find it works well. There are many means to an end.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 12:32:09 pm »
Yes, I am shocking with MPS. I use the recomended amount of dichlor after each soak for my tub but never came across this situation. I did not think it made a difference but thought I would double check anyway.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 01:34:52 pm »
Whenever I shock with MPS and feel the need to use dichlor as well I will Shock with the MPS first, let the pumps run for 20 minutes and then add the dichlor. But depending on your combined chlorine level you might just want to add enough chlorine to burn it up and superchlorinate the tub.

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:35:10 pm »
Unless I really want to get again soon which is rare since I am mostly a weekend user I use the Vermonter method more or less and always shock with an increased dose of dichlor.

In fact I have never found a need to use the MPS so far and still have the full unopened bottle of MPS that came with the spa. Not sure how long it will last but don't really see a need to ever use it.

I also have ozone and N2. Is there really any need for MPS over shocking with just dichlor? Or is that more of a personal preference thing?

It's been 18 months and this seems to work for me as I have never had any water problems. I also travel a lot and can leave the spa for 2 or 3 weeks at a time without any attention and have always had clean water on my return. I usually shock it hard after a long time away just to be sure but it seems to be working so far!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:36:11 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 05:38:57 pm »
I was reading some posts on different forum from a guy who has a degree in physics/chemistry and takes great pride in knowing all about pool and spa water chemistry. He stated that if you have an ozonator there is really no need to ever use mps.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 05:59:33 pm by WHY_NOT »

104 degrees

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 05:30:44 am »
you should add 1/2 teaspoon dichlor per 100 gallons for your soak. Then add 1 teaspoon per 100 gallons for your shock treatment. If you're using dichlor after each use, you should be shocking with dichlor as well.

I'll probably get rung-through-the-ringer by others here for that statement, but we find it works well. There are many means to an end.

What about the CYA building up?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 05:30:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42