What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shelf life of Taylor reagents  (Read 3320 times)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Shelf life of Taylor reagents
« on: November 28, 2007, 05:09:28 pm »
Taylor Technologies "recommends" to replace all reagents every year and I was wondering how many Taylor users here follow that advice or if they've noticed strange readings when using the reagents longer then the recommended time. I'm asking b/c I've had mine a little over a year and I think my phenal red is giving false readings. I guess I should probably have a second type of water test method for these situations but I don't.

Thanks,

Chad

Hot Tub Forum

Shelf life of Taylor reagents
« on: November 28, 2007, 05:09:28 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Shelf life of Taylor reagents
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:09:42 pm »
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 07:10:31 pm by WHY_NOT »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 07:27:22 pm »
They do claim a year but depending on where and how you keep them I think you can stretch it.

I personally keep them in my basement steps area on a shelf. It is dark and I would imagine pretty stabile temp wise. I would imagine if I kept it in a garage - they wouldn't last. I do use them longer than a year.

The other thing to consider is how long the store had it. I Don't know where you got it from but a higher volume retailer may move more of anything than a small local retailer that gets 1 call a year on something.

As far as another test method, I did have a cheap OTO test kit around but stopped using it.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 07:44:03 pm »
Thanks for the insight Vinny.
I keep mine indoors in the utility room.  No windows, no big temp swings, and it's on the cool side as I live on a slab foundation and it backs to my garage. I just assume it's better that they're a little cool than a little warm. I think I'm gonna stop and get some test strips on my way home from work tomarrow to see where I'm at.
How's the Frog experiment been goin'?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 07:45:02 pm by WHY_NOT »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 08:43:44 pm »
I was trying to use less chlorine but the water went cloudy but that was only 2 weeks into using the frog ... I will attempt it again in a week or so. I also have my ozonator running 24/7 to see if I can go longer than I usually can with clear water.

I will continue experimenting!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 08:43:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42