What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gritty feel  (Read 4643 times)

Stemay

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Gritty feel
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:35:42 am »
The hubby and I went into the hot tub last night (Tuesday) for the first time since Friday.  All the surfaces of the tub under water feel gritty.  The water is not cloudy or discolored in any way.  

Any ideas what this could be and what to do about it?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Gritty feel
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:35:42 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Gritty feel
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:49:10 am »
The hubby and I went into the hot tub last night (Tuesday) for the first time since Friday.  All the surfaces of the tub under water feel gritty.  The water is not cloudy or discolored in any way.  

Any ideas what this could be and what to do about it?

Thanks!

It is calcium precipitated out of your water onto the surfaces of your spa, including the insides of pipes, heaters, etc.  This is caused by high pH.  Can you verify your pH for us?

The best way to fix this is to lower your pH to the point that the reverse happens and the calcium is pulled back into the water.  You will probably have to bring it down ot 6.8 or below.  You don't want your pH to stay low for too long but this is the best way and the only way to be sure the plumbing is cleared.  Calcium is very difficult to scrub off.

I want to clarify that I have never had to do this and know of this fix from Chas who is very respected here and on other forums.  Others on the forums who have taken this advise have fixed the problem.  You should also use a good stain and scale product such as Leisure Time Defender as a weekly maintenance product to help protect your equipment from calcium scale.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Gritty feel
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:49:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42