What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Covers ASAP ?  (Read 6961 times)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Spa Covers ASAP ?
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:10:26 pm »

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Covers ASAP ?
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:10:26 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Spa Covers ASAP ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 01:33:05 pm »
They advertise a 5 year, better than anyone warranty, on their home page... but it only covers their most expensive covers. And they still don't mention the thickness of their C channel (even though the aluminum they use, regardless of thickness, is weaker then steel). and they charge extra for the Continuous Hinge Seal? Even though, their prices seem to be a bit higher than most other etailers.

OH! Yeah, I used to buy covers from them some 12-14 years ago  :D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Zep

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:01:51 pm »
Dr. Spa who would you say makes the "Rolls Royce" of spa covers?

Also who makes the best spa cover that you dont sell?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 03:30:32 pm »
It's only Monday, do I have to start thinking ALREADY???

Rolls Royce of covers? I think you'd have to determine the type, or style of cover first. For your standard insulating cover, well, me of course (in all seriousness, I'll go up against anyone and win on this.... I only lost a comparison twice, and both times, it was to a company that sold my covers  ;D). But there's a lot more than just the foam core insulating type covers.

Basic aluminum cover. These are quite nice. Though a bit pricey at about 3 times the cost of a foam cover, I don't know if, or if it matters, if they'll last 3 times as long.

There's a new cover out that unrolls, electrically, from under a bar that sits next to the spa. Very cool. Virtually indestructible.... and it can be yours for only $4500

Or, the newest Covana (web address is on my desk at home..sorry, it's very cool)). Combination cover/cabana. The cabana peaked roof is also the spa cover and it raises up and down. Only about $3500

hmmmmmmmmmm, the best cover I don't sell? For insulating foam core cover, I have to go with my buddy shamous (who posts here, who's name I've probably misspelled)

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Zep

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »
Thanks Dr. Spa....

How much do the aluminum covers weigh compared to a foam cover?

I don't use a lifter so I need to get something that is at least as light as the standard foam cover.

Are there any downsides to the aluminum except price?

Can you walk on them?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 04:08:17 pm by Zep »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 04:35:32 pm »
They figure the aluminum on average weighs 55 pounds. A lot more than the standard cover. Not bad for 2 people to take of the spa, or 1 if it's just being slid back onto a deck the same height as the spa.

The only downside I know of is they can get VERY hot in the sun, but you can walk, run or dance on them :-)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 05:41:36 pm »
Is there really a big need to have a cover that you can dance or run on ?...I would guess most people need something that supports a reasonable snow load and want something that a young child would not fall though. Doc do you think that most foam core covers will be sufficient for small children. Without getting into any legal liability.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 06:22:08 pm »
I have a few customers with spas mounted into their decks, and the decks are VERY small. They like the aluminum cover as it lets them put a lawn chair on top if it for a place to sun bath. ..... though, I don't reccomend this as the legs of the chairs can put small dents in the cover.

Doc do you think that most foam core covers will be sufficient for small children.

I personally think the only thing sufficient for small children is adult supervision. I couldn't imagine letting a small child of mine out in the back yard unsupervised, even if there wasn't a spa there.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 07:35:17 am »
Say now, there's a concept.  Parental responsibility.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 07:35:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42