What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hydro Spa Bankrupt  (Read 5273 times)

Vanguard

Hydro Spa Bankrupt
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:24:43 pm »
I just read that Hydro Spas has filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.  They stated the slow business environment and the cancellation of a large Costco order.  I can't say I was ever a fan of theirs, but you hate to see it anyway.  I wonder who else is on the brink...

Here is the link to the story:  http://www.poolspanews.com/2007/102/102topnews.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 01:25:57 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Hydro Spa Bankrupt
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:24:43 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hydro Spa Bankrupt
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 01:34:53 pm »
I just read that Hydro Spas has filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.  They stated the slow business environment and the cancellation of a large Costco order.  I can't say I was ever a fan of theirs, but you hate to see it anyway.  I wonder who else is on the brink...

Here is the link to the story:  http://www.poolspanews.com/2007/102/102topnews.html

From what I hear through the grape vine there are a lot of smaller companys hurting some large ones as well!

104 degrees

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:37:26 pm »

It looks like infinity will take them over.

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:26:53 pm »

It looks like infinity will take them over.

I think Infinity is taking over their service work for Costco, but not manufacturing. AFAIK, Infinity is a much spaller company than Hydro was - Infinity couldn't afford to purchase their factory & the rest of their business.

Which makes me wonder how Infinity is taking over nationwide servicing on Hydro Spa's customers. Infinity does not have nationwide dealers. At best, Infinity is coordinating service with local service techs, assuming they can find a tech in the area who will take the work.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 02:46:50 pm »

I think Infinity is taking over their service work for Costco, but not manufacturing. AFAIK, Infinity is a much spaller company than Hydro was - Infinity couldn't afford to purchase their factory & the rest of their business.

Which makes me wonder how Infinity is taking over nationwide servicing on Hydro Spa's customers. Infinity does not have nationwide dealers. At best, Infinity is coordinating service with local service techs, assuming they can find a tech in the area who will take the work.

Just guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear Costco has "suggested" that Infinity do this.  I'm thinking Infinity would sure like to please Costco now that Hydrospa is out of the picture.  (But they might want to watch out what they wish for!)
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 03:07:21 pm »

Too funny!  I just got called Friday by someone at Infinity asking if we wanted to do service for spas sold through Costco, I had to decline while laughing.
  We did a quite a few of there spas when we first got into hot tubs and service and they burned us by not paying on time, nor enough. I think they gave us 25.00 per call plus parts, we asked for 60.00 our normal rate plus travel from the customer.  I remember opening them up at thinking what a freaking piece of chit spa.

The only benefit was I talked some of there customers into returning the spa to Costco and sold em a Jacuzzi ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 03:09:06 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 03:24:04 pm »

Just guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear Costco has "suggested" that Infinity do this.  I'm thinking Infinity would sure like to please Costco now that Hydrospa is out of the picture.  (But they might want to watch out what they wish for!)

That's exactly what I was thinking. Costco says jump, you don't ask "How high?".
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »
Apparently I was wrong about Infinity. Someone just posted this story over on the other forum:

http://www.poolspanews.com/2007/102/102topnews.html

As the article states, Hydro was "underpricing its spas by as much as $3000".

How will Infinity succeed with this business model when Hydro couldn't? This will be interesting to follow.

104 degrees

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 04:01:01 pm »

Which makes me wonder how Infinity is taking over nationwide servicing on Hydro Spa's customers. Infinity does not have nationwide dealers. At best, Infinity is coordinating service with local service techs, assuming they can find a tech in the area who will take the work.[/quote]

Do you think costco is saying this so people will not return the spas.

No sevice return to costco??

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 04:32:06 pm »
Apparently I was wrong about Infinity. Someone just posted this story over on the other forum:

http://www.poolspanews.com/2007/102/102topnews.html

How will Infinity succeed with this business model when Hydro couldn't? This will be interesting to follow.

The story is on the original post as well.  ;)
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Curious

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 05:07:01 pm »

Boy, I guess the Costco crowd really was getting more spa than they bargained for.  So much for the posts about how you get what you pay for. ;)

104 degrees

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 05:16:13 pm »
Boy, I guess the Costco crowd really was getting more spa than they bargained for.  So much for the posts about how you get what you pay for. ;)

Why where they always leaking and going down, built like crap buy people who didnt know what they where doing and doing it in a hurry.

If you think about it :-? the only way they could sell them was at a loss. if they where sold to make money people would just went and bought a dealer supported name brand spa.

Pathfinder

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 05:24:38 pm »
Hydro  underpricing their spas by as much as $3,000 is a joke. If you actually look at the components they used there's no way in H*ll the tubs are worth $3,000 more. That # number is probably what they were trying to fleece their dealer network for. The most  would maybe be $1,000 extra for a huge wholesale agreement like that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 05:24:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42