What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: pergola canopy/shade/awning  (Read 6755 times)

JoAnnC214

pergola canopy/shade/awning
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:34:03 am »
We would like to build a pergola over the new spa deck and would like to put up a canopy/shade/ awning over the spa and several feet of deck, to include a pair of chairs.  I did a search of the forum and read several posts where folks said they hoped to do the same.  I'm interested in something that retracts.  There was a reference to the Backyard America website, which does have a pergola canopy, but they sure are expensive.  Did anyone come up with an alternative way of dong this?  We do have a Sunsetter awning on our existing deck (upper level with dining table) and don't really want to do the same on the lower spa deck.  i was thinking more of a folding shade sort of thing.  Thanks...this designing stage is fun and only adds to the anticipation!

Hot Tub Forum

pergola canopy/shade/awning
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:34:03 am »

Lars

Re: pergola canopy/shade/awning
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 09:54:17 am »
Hmm, interesting.

Take a steel pipe, put pulley sheaves on the end, and rig cable to extend or retract the canvas.

Take a good look at one of those automatic pool covers, and you about got it.

JoAnnC214

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:42:15 am »
Thanks Lars for your replies to this question and the one about recessing our spa into the deck.  I've never examined an automatic pool cover but that's a great idea.  I found some large yardage of sail cloth on ebay and may be able to improvise.  I appreciate it!

Lars

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 11:05:17 am »
No problem.

Since you haven't built the pergola yet, consider giving it a little bit of pitch.  Your biggest problem is going to be ponding of water in the canvas.

Not a problem if you always remember to retract it, but who does?

Lars

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:16:22 am »
$2661 for the little one?  No wonder you want to improvise!

http://www.backyardamerica.com/pergola-canopy.htm

Look at the third pic down.  Replace the rail with a raised 2x4 or whatever you're making the pergola out of for the pipe to run on.  

Getting the thing to roll up evenly will be the tricky bit, but that's all in the rigging of the cables.  Put the sheaves on the ends of the pipe and on the outside of the rail. It'll help to keep it from jumping off track.

loosenupspas

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:18:52 am »
Here is a website......while it is not exactly what you are looking for it may stimulate ideas.  Anytime you have a licensed contractor involved, and   premits, all that process gets expensive. If it is a DIY type job, then it could be more economical.  A retractable awning sounds complicated, at very least its requirements to meet the local codes would be difficult, which usually means more money.  Here in Floirda that canopy would have some serious wind load requirements, all of which comes at a price.  

http://www.deckingnw.com/gallery-hot-tubs-002.htm

Good luck and send pictures when it is done.....Tom

Lars

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:35:40 am »
Good point.

Don't forget to put a piece of strap metal on top of the 2x4's, spaced up to keep steel pipe trapped in place.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 12:22:23 pm »
Sam's Club had some fairly nice looking aluminumunum pergolas for around $800.  They were a dark brown espresso color, but could probably be painted. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

JoAnnC214

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 12:30:34 pm »
Lars, you've brought up several good ideas...we're meeting with the deck builder next weekend and we'll discuss this with him to see what we can come up with.  Tom, the www.deckingnw.com website is terrific! Thanks so much for posting it.  Their photos are awesome.  It might be good to put the website out on the forum in general.  Some of the members in other parts of the country probably have favorite deck builders.  I'm in central Virginia, on a lake. We're just beginning the process but I will post pictures when we've completed the project. Thanks, JoAnn

JoAnnC214

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 12:40:00 pm »
Hi Terminator, I've been searching the Sam's Club website for the aluminum pergola, but am only finding white vinyl or red cedar ones.  Did you see an aluminum one at a store, or on their website? Thanks, JoAnn

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 12:44:21 pm »
I saw them at the store about 6 months ago.

Termie
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 12:44:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42