What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS prodigy circ pump shot??  (Read 8432 times)

daaw

HS prodigy circ pump shot??
« on: September 30, 2007, 08:33:25 am »
Sooo,  I went out last night for a soak in my HS Prodigy and I noticed the ready light blinking and the tub had some noticeable dirt in it as if it had not been circulating (I did not notice if the circ pump was running).  The tubs jets, and lights worked fine, but the water did not feel 102 degrees.  I looked in the manual and it mentioned that the temperature sensor might be the problem.  I disconnected it from the 110v for 30 seconds and plugged it back in.  Then the power light was blinking which by the manual indicates the heater high limit has tripped.  I disconnected again, and waited 10 minutes.  After I plugged it back in, the power light was steady but the ready light was back to blinking.  At this time I noticed the circ pump was not running.  The jets and lights did work though.  I removed the panel and felt the circ pump, which was hot.  I could not keep my hand on the back side of the pump for more than a couple of seconds.  I unplugged the tub until I could find out the problem.

All of this leads up to the question of if this sounds like a shot circ pump?  Would that cause the temp problems??  It looks as if the pump would be very easy to replace, is that the case and if so is there any “tricks” I should know?  Is the pump rebuildable or any ideas on what a new will cost me?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks all!!

Hot Tub Forum

HS prodigy circ pump shot??
« on: September 30, 2007, 08:33:25 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: HS prodigy circ pump shot??
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 09:58:54 am »
Sooo,  I went out last night for a soak in my HS Prodigy and I noticed the ready light blinking and the tub had some noticeable dirt in it as if it had not been circulating (I did not notice if the circ pump was running).  The tubs jets, and lights worked fine, but the water did not feel 102 degrees.  I looked in the manual and it mentioned that the temperature sensor might be the problem.  I disconnected it from the 110v for 30 seconds and plugged it back in.  Then the power light was blinking which by the manual indicates the heater high limit has tripped.  I disconnected again, and waited 10 minutes.  After I plugged it back in, the power light was steady but the ready light was back to blinking.  At this time I noticed the circ pump was not running.  The jets and lights did work though.  I removed the panel and felt the circ pump, which was hot.  I could not keep my hand on the back side of the pump for more than a couple of seconds.  I unplugged the tub until I could find out the problem.

All of this leads up to the question of if this sounds like a shot circ pump?  Would that cause the temp problems??  It looks as if the pump would be very easy to replace, is that the case and if so is there any “tricks” I should know?  Is the pump rebuildable or any ideas on what a new will cost me?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks all!!

I am not qualified to answer any of the questions you are asking and I am sure someone knowledgable will help, but I will share what I have experienced.  A bad circ pump can give you temp and flow problems and it seems like your circ pump may be gone.  You didn't mention the age of your spa.  The small circ pumps are very easy to replace.  Depending on what is wrong you may be able to fix it but they are only a couple of hundred dollars to buy and my not be worth fixing.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 11:10:58 am »
First thing to check is the circ pump filter.  If you are not getting flow through it the high limit will trip.

Assuming newer spa do the following:

1)Remove filter from standpipe with grey cap.  Make sure there is no debris to get sucked into circ pump.
2)Unplug spa for about a minute.
3)Plug in spa.

If that solves the problem, chemically clean or replace filter.  Do not leave plugged in with no filter.  That was just a test, nothing but a test.

If that does not fix it, repace circ pump.  If warranty (5 years) call dealer.  If not, it is pretty easy to replace.  You can buy one and do it yourself, or call your dealer.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 11:12:40 am by hottubdan »
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

daaw

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 01:31:24 pm »
OK  I did the test (thanks hottubdan) and the circ pump was not working with the filter from the grey cap removed.  I unplugged spa after the failed test.  Guess I'll have to replace the circ pump.  :'(  Any special tools required?

Could I have done something to smoke the pump or is this just a part that sometimes gives up?  The spa is over 5 years old.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 01:32:58 pm by daaw »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 06:09:18 pm »
OK

Could I have done something to smoke the pump or is this just a part that sometimes gives up?  The spa is over 5 years old.

You need to be careful with your water balance.  Replacing a circ pump after 5 years is not uncommon.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

daaw

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:50:01 pm »
HS Dealer price, $188.95,   .05 cheaper than the first place I looked online!!  Surgery is set for Friday or Saturday.  

Somewhere I got the impression that there is a reset button on the heater, but could not find it when I looked the other night.  Is there such a button?

I bought this tub used so I am not sure of how good the previous owners were with water chemistry.  After the surgery I will try to post pics of the impeller, etc.

2 8

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 10:09:02 pm »
how old is the spa?

daaw

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:04:09 am »
It's a 2002 Prodigy

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 09:37:12 pm »
HS Dealer price, $188.95,   .05 cheaper than the first place I looked online!!  Surgery is set for Friday or Saturday.  

Somewhere I got the impression that there is a reset button on the heater, but could not find it when I looked the other night.  Is there such a button?

I bought this tub used so I am not sure of how good the previous owners were with water chemistry.  After the surgery I will try to post pics of the impeller, etc.

My circ pump was replaced under warranty a short while ago.  It took the tech literally minutes to swap it out.  One of the simple things to fix in a spa.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 11:16:13 am »
I use special hose-pinching pliers to squeeze the vinyl tubing so water doesn't come out as I am replacing the pump. However, corks, wooden dowels and even spare fingers will work. Also, draining the spa works, but that's for wimps.

Of course, if your spa is due for a water change anyway then we will look the other way... this time. Water should be changed every four months.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

daaw

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 12:48:42 pm »
Funny you should mention that, as I was going to ask if there was a way to replace the pump without draining the water.  I have some clamps at the house and if the hose is not too ridged I will try to use them.  

I will tun this into true surgery, maybe get the wife to dress as a nurse.  "Nurse, I need a clamp, STAT"

Brookenstein

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 08:26:52 pm »
I will tun this into true surgery, maybe get the wife to dress as a nurse.  "Nurse, I need a clamp, STAT"

This had me LMAO.  I may be a chic, but please post pics.   :D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 08:59:39 pm »
Vice Grips

daaw

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 06:42:02 pm »
I decided to drain the tub for the surgery tomorrow.  Yea, I know for wimps, but it is time for a water change.

I was scoping out the thing earlier, and some may say if I have to ask this then I should not be doing the surgery but….

How do you get the pump detached from the tub itself?  Mind you I have only about 18” of clearance between the tub access panel and a wall, so it’s difficult to see anything.  The new pump housing has slots in it and that makes me think I have to loosen two bolts and slip it out.  Problem is from my vantage point I cannot see any bolts and if I did there would be no way to get to them.

This tub might have been better served to find a different Dr.  

Good thing for tort reform!!

daaw

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 08:28:16 am »
I installed the new cic pump on Saturday, and all did not go as I hoped.  There was a plastic nipple on the pump's discharge hose/pipe, and I broke this nipple off, so I had to get a new fitting, tap the scedule 40, 90 degree elbow and install a brass fitting.  I mixed some epoxy (waterproof for temps up to 200) and coated the brass fittings threads before I screwed it in. I then coated the outside of the pipe where the fitting is located with the epoxy.  Filled the tup up at 6:00 PM on Sat. and by Sunday at 7:00 AM it was 103 degrees (I tell this because 2 8 had questions about his Prodigy heating on 110v.  Mine is also 110 and seems to heat quickly).

Any experts out there think that I should replace the discharge hose, or will my above fix be OK?

thanks!!    

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 08:28:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42