What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying Stuff today, what do I need?  (Read 4608 times)

Brookenstein

Buying Stuff today, what do I need?
« on: October 02, 2007, 02:38:42 pm »
Okay, I'm gonna make the switch and give bromine a try.  Can people tell me what I need to buy from doc?  I've got the Taylor test kit, does that test bromine as well as chlorine?  I'm sure I could dig it out and look, but I figure you guys are quicker.   :)  I usually buy the non name brand from doc, can I do that with the bromine?  When I was on his site I some packages of something that you put in at  new fills, but they were designed to go with the name brand... is that just to make me think I need the name brand bromine?  Can I use it with the no name stuff?  Do I need to switch and use the frog or should I keep using the N2 in the filter cartridge thingy and use a seperate bromine filter?

Anything else I should pick up while I'm at it?  I'm rusty and on pain pills.   ;D

Hot Tub Forum

Buying Stuff today, what do I need?
« on: October 02, 2007, 02:38:42 pm »

Repeat_Offender

Re: Buying Stuff today, what do I need?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 02:46:44 pm »
The test kit and test strips I have are specifically for bromine. You'll need a floater and some bromine tabs as well as the granulated bromine to build your residual after each water change.
Bullfrog 562

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 03:28:56 pm »
My understanding is that you can NOT use N2 with bromine.  I use the spa frog and like the floating system, which holds the bromine cartridge and the mineral cartridge (made to work with bromine) in one floater.

And, for what it's worth, I have the Aqua Check digital tester and love it.  Had problems with it at first, but it was a problem with the strips.  The company sent me new strips and it's worked great ever since.  I love reading numbers vs. colors.   I'd get it again if I had to do it over.

Happy shopping!

--renee  

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 03:35:23 pm »
Ditto on the Aqua-check. It has instructions on how to convert the chlorine reading to bromine.
Bullfrog 562

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:10:31 pm »
Okay, I'm gonna make the switch and give bromine a try.  Can people tell me what I need to buy from doc?  I've got the Taylor test kit, does that test bromine as well as chlorine?  I'm sure I could dig it out and look, but I figure you guys are quicker.   :)  I usually buy the non name brand from doc, can I do that with the bromine?  When I was on his site I some packages of something that you put in at  new fills, but they were designed to go with the name brand... is that just to make me think I need the name brand bromine?  Can I use it with the no name stuff?  Do I need to switch and use the frog or should I keep using the N2 in the filter cartridge thingy and use a seperate bromine filter?

Anything else I should pick up while I'm at it?  I'm rusty and on pain pills.   ;D

You need to start with sodium bromide.  Doc sells Leisure Time in packets or bottle.  Next you need the bromine tabs...All Clear is the less expensive brand, a floater and non chlorine shock.  You cannot use your N2 cartridge, but you can use a Frog cartridge in the filter or you can use the Frog complete floating system that includes the mineral cartridge and the bromine floater.  I would use the standard floater and the frog in the filter.  Using the Frog allows you to keep a lower bromine level.  The Taylor 2005 kit measures bromine as well as chlorine.  Thats it as far as I know.

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 08:49:59 pm »

You need to start with sodium bromide.  Doc sells Leisure Time in packets or bottle.  Next you need the bromine tabs...All Clear is the less expensive brand, a floater and non chlorine shock.  You cannot use your N2 cartridge, but you can use a Frog cartridge in the filter or you can use the Frog complete floating system that includes the mineral cartridge and the bromine floater.  I would use the standard floater and the frog in the filter.  Using the Frog allows you to keep a lower bromine level.  The Taylor 2005 kit measures bromine as well as chlorine.  Thats it as far as I know.

Tony...just curious why you recommend the standard floater vs. the frog floating system.  Since I'm new at this, just wondering if I would benefit by switching, and the reason why (I'm a "why" person!).  Thanks for your help!
renee

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 09:32:19 pm »

Tony...just curious why you recommend the standard floater vs. the frog floating system.  Since I'm new at this, just wondering if I would benefit by switching, and the reason why (I'm a "why" person!).  Thanks for your help!
renee

The only reason I like the standard floater is it is refillable vs buying the bromine cartridge that fits the Frog Floating System.  They both will do the same job.  No need to change.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 09:32:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42