What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: "FLO" message quandry  (Read 3455 times)

Ronnie526

"FLO" message quandry
« on: September 11, 2007, 08:26:21 am »
     Problem here.  Had MUCHO people in tub this past Sat. nite & during that, got a "FLO" message on display of my '05 Sundance Optima.  Usually means time to change/clean filter.  To confirm, I removed the filter the following morning & ran tub briefly, and "FLO" message disappeared.
     PROBLEM is... GRRRRRRRRRR .. while running w/out filter, the litltle "bonnet" at the bottom of my filter compartment (sort of like a "pre-filter") got SUCKED into water intake. (I assume).
     Here's the thing.  I'm going away for 10 days & am not sure what to do.  No time to deal with this now.  Should I SUPER shock & leave breaker on?  (I don't want to do any damage.)  I should say that I know that the "FLO" message sends tub into "self-protect" mode, shutting down heater so as not to burn it out by running with insufficient water flow thru it.  I'm also afraid that "bonnet" might get sucked into an impeller and jam my constant circ pump, possibly burning it out.  Or should I drain b4 I go? (Seeing as I'll probably end up draining when I get back, due to my oily guests in soapy suits :))
     Thanks for any suggestions !!

Hot Tub Forum

"FLO" message quandry
« on: September 11, 2007, 08:26:21 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: "FLO" message quandry
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 09:27:48 am »
To be safe, If you can't have service out there before you go, at least shut down the spa's power.  If you do have that sock in your circ. pump intake, it's certainly a good idea not to have any chance of the circ. pump running.
 If you do dump the water, you might need to refill before having service come out- they'd probably like to have the spa full so they are sure everything's okay after they fix the problem.  

By the way, those socks aren't  pre filters, they're the only thing flitering the water going to whatever pump those inlets feed to.  In my 2003 Optima, it's the single speed pump.  But not sure if the 2005's are similar that way.  

Brewman

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 11:20:11 am »
What Brewman said...

Another reason to NEVER run your spa without a filter. There are many more...

On your return, disconnect the circ at the unions and you should be able to see it (hopefully!). A service call may be required if not. I wouldn't dump the water and if you can remove the sock when you come back, you will either need to shock the water very well or drain and refill.

Steve

Ronnie526

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 12:28:59 pm »
     Thanks for the quick responses, guys .. :).

Actually, Steve, my DEALER is the one who told me to remove filter & turn tub back on to verify that plugged filter was the reason for the "FLO" error message!

No time for service b4 I go, I leave @ 5:00AM tomorrow.  I think I'll just shock & leave breaker off & deal w/it when I get back.

Thanks again for your help!! :)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 04:55:24 pm »
I believe that inlet in the filter well with the sock on it draws when pump 1 is on to draw more water to the filter area when the spa is being used or if you want to program pump 1 to go on periodically to help filter.  The filter itself does not enclose this inlet so I would imagine the circ pump would not be affected at all...pump 1 would be.  If you don't use the spa and program your filter cycles to zero you may be ok, but I would just power down till you find the pesky thing...probably wrapped around pump 1 impeller.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 11:09:15 am »
You cannot program the pumps to run "filter cycles" anymore.  The sock is in the circulation pump.  Easy way to get it out:

Get a wet vac.  Unscrew the filter pipe in the filter area.  Put the hose of the wet vac in the remaining hole and turn the vac on.  Put your other hand over the other hole in the filter area (the one with the grate about 1/2" inside).  Let that run for about 10 seconds.  You should find the sock inside the bucket for the wet vac.  If you don't, try it again.  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 12:45:10 pm »
You cannot program the pumps to run "filter cycles" anymore.  The sock is in the circulation pump.  Easy way to get it out:

Get a wet vac.  Unscrew the filter pipe in the filter area.  Put the hose of the wet vac in the remaining hole and turn the vac on.  Put your other hand over the other hole in the filter area (the one with the grate about 1/2" inside).  Let that run for about 10 seconds.  You should find the sock inside the bucket for the wet vac.  If you don't, try it again.  

Unless it wrapped up in the impellar which it probably is.   Try it though it may work.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 12:45:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42