What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help, my brain is mush...too much research!  (Read 3034 times)

ilovemykids

Help, my brain is mush...too much research!
« on: September 07, 2007, 07:33:43 pm »
Here I am...spent tons of time on the internet, gone to many different dealers...I am more confused than ever.  Yes, I will buy a hot tub.  There isn't a consumerreports.org report done on them so I am at the mercy of the dealers touting why there's is better than the next, they have this filtration, they have that jet placement, this lighting, etc. etc. etc.  HELP!

I water tested two today, a D1 Californian and a Beachcomber (300 series..so not fair, two different levels)...They felt great, both of em....I have been to Caldera (and to be honest, really am drawn to the look of the Niagara), Hot Springs( which I was told Caldera is on the same asembly line as Hot Springs), and Sundance (twice).  They all make good points, but I am so confused.

I guess I want the "best" one, so which one is it???  Of course, I imagine most people on this forum are either new buyers or potential buyers, or dealers, so is this a impartial place to get this info?

To recap my needs, it will be outside in NH, family friendly (6 person), I want foot/calf/neck focus, ambiance, but it goes without saying, quality (with decent energy consumption)...

D1, ok?
Caldera ok?
Another brand I am unaware of?  Bascially, I look on reviews and most of them have glowing ones/then bashing ones...Actually, the reviews I read on Beachcomber had nothing but glowing, that was a first...

HELP!  I want one NOW...That is where I want to be, in one, not talking about one.   :o

Hot Tub Forum

Help, my brain is mush...too much research!
« on: September 07, 2007, 07:33:43 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Help, my brain is mush...too much research!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 07:48:13 pm »
Welcome!

There are many good brands out there and the best way to see them is to visit dealers.

Remember that this will be YOUR tub. The BEST one for you is the one you decide on. None of the brands you mentioned are garbage. Yes, you will here "preferences" but it is just an opinion based on what we either selected or sell.

You bring up a good point - A 300 series Beachcomber felt great as did a D1 ... Big price difference but did you prefer the more expensive one? If the answer is no - then why spend the money!

They ALL provide clean, hot water and regurdless of what is being said have no advantage over another except on what you are looking for.

If you're looking for frills then that's another story. You may want a multitde of LEDs, you may want a stereo or you may like to soak in the dark in complete quiet. What are you looking for in a spa?

When I bought my tub I looked for the best value to me. It has very few frills and there a lot of times I soak without jets on. My tub has 56 jets and 3 therapy pumps but it doesn't matter when they aren't on.

96SC

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 10:50:18 pm »
Like Vinny said, welcome to the forum.  We searched over a year, off and on, for hot tubs. (What we finally got isn't important.)  We had a few 'requirements' in a tub and you should try to find what you really want in one.  Once you find a few tubs with most/everything you want then wet test them.  Also, feel comfortable with the dealer.  If you have to go out of your immediate area, we did, to find the tub and dealer you like, then do it.
Whichever tub you get don't second guess yourself.  The whole forum may say it's the worst tub you could get, if you're happy with it then the h*ll with us.

Happy searching, make it an experience not a chore. ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 12:24:30 am by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 11:10:25 pm »
Ditto what everybody else has said. You're the one who's going to be soaking in it, and it's your pocketbook, so pick the one you want! If it's any comfort to you, all the brands you've looked at (Hot Spring, Caldera, Sundance, and Beachcomber) have lots of happy customers out there.

I think that the feet and neck are the hardest areas for a hot tub to get right. If your butt is on a seat, then your back will be right above it (unless you're really weird), so most manufacturers can get back jets that will work for just about everybody. On the other hand, foot and neck jets will be at all kinds of distances and angles for each person, so they end up in different configurations in different tubs. The only way to figure out which one is best for you is to WET TEST them.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 12:09:04 am »
For what it's worth, Hot Spring and Caldera are both owned by Watkins Manufacturing.  However, they are built in two different factories.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

solo

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 06:25:43 am »
I did a lot of research.  D1, Caldera, Hotsprings, Sundance...they all make great spas.  Go sit in a few from each and pick from there.  

My advice is to find 2 or 3 that you REALLY like.  Make certain that each dealer knows that you have other makes and models that you are wet testing.  The competiton for your business will get you a better deal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 08:50:55 am »
You have the power, you are going to buy, you probably have a couple of models that you could live with. Keep going back in and looking at each one, one dealer will probably come up with an offer that cinches the decision.  Let your indecision work for you.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 08:50:55 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42