What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hotsprings Electrical Question, Electrical Hook-up  (Read 7880 times)

kevinv18

Hotsprings Electrical Question, Electrical Hook-up
« on: August 14, 2007, 11:47:45 pm »
In preparation for getting a spa, I have installed a 60A breaker sub-panel approximately 6 feet from where I intend to put the spa. I talked to a Sundance dealer who told me that the Optima spa requires only 3 wires into a 60A breaker. Then I talked to a Hotsprings dealer who told me that their Grandee spa comes with a sub-panel, which includes a 20A breaker and a 30A breaker. The pump wires hook up to one breaker and the heater wires connect to the other breaker. If I decide on a Hotsprings spa, then I will need to swap out the sub-panel that I spent considerable time installing. Or I could install the new sub-panel in series with my current sub-panel, but then I'd have two "ugly" boxes in my yard.

Can anyone confirm whether the Hotsprings Grandee requires two breakers (20A & 30A) or will the 60A breaker be sufficient by itself?

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Hotsprings Electrical Question, Electrical Hook-up
« on: August 14, 2007, 11:47:45 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Hotsprings Electrical Question, Electrical Hoo
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 01:12:28 am »
In preparation for getting a spa, I have installed a 60A breaker sub-panel approximately 6 feet from where I intend to put the spa. I talked to a Sundance dealer who told me that the Optima spa requires only 3 wires into a 60A breaker. Then I talked to a Hotsprings dealer who told me that their Grandee spa comes with a sub-panel, which includes a 20A breaker and a 30A breaker. The pump wires hook up to one breaker and the heater wires connect to the other breaker. If I decide on a Hotsprings spa, then I will need to swap out the sub-panel that I spent considerable time installing. Or I could install the new sub-panel in series with my current sub-panel, but then I'd have two "ugly" boxes in my yard.

Can anyone confirm whether the Hotsprings Grandee requires two breakers (20A & 30A) or will the 60A breaker be sufficient by itself?

Thanks.

You would need the sub panel that comes with the spa.

Download the predelivery guide which has the wiring diagram.

http://www.hotspring.com/Hot_Tub_Customers/owner_manual_pre-delivery.html
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:50:59 am »
If you followed the wiring diagram for the Sundance Optima, you ran 2 "hot" conductors and a ground conductor to that 60 amp panel.  Sundance uses a transformer to power things like the lights, radio, etc, that run on less than 240 volts, so there is no need to run a neutral leg to the spa.
 Hot Springs may (or may not) require a neutral.  
You may have to totally re-wire this.  Especially if HS requires a neutral.

That's why you have to decide on a spa before you run your wiring.  Most (but not all) require a standard 4 wire 50 amp configuration.  Many Sundace spas use the 3 wire configuration, Cal Spas had or had specific requirements for some of their spas too.  

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:50:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42