What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie question - best big hot tub?  (Read 2915 times)

morgan23

Newbie question - best big hot tub?
« on: August 13, 2007, 05:26:58 pm »
I've been lurking around various pool/spa boards for the past few months and find that this is one of the nicer and more helpful forums around. So here I am, unlurking and hoping for some good advice...(this question was orginally asked on another board, but someone pointed me over here and said I'd get better advice from y'all).  [smiley=grin.gif]

Anyways, on to my question: DH and I have been talking about putting some kind of body of water in our backyard for nearly a year now. We originally wanted just a hot tub (we were thinking the Hotsprings Grandee looked great), but then realized that our two boys (5 yrs and 2.5yrs) are total waterbugs and LOVE to swim. So we thought "there must be something that can be a spa and pool-like at the same time"....which moved us on to looking at swim spas and set ups like the Endless Pool.

We'd almost settled on putting in an EP at the end of this year (waiting for their winter specials), when our neighbors put in a fiberglass hot tub in their backyard. They put it completely inground and it's pretty small- no more than 8ft long and 5ft wide in a kidney bean shape. Their kids are the same ages as ours and that small spa seems to be plenty big for them to swim in. The spa has no seats or loungers, just a bench all the way around like most gunite spas would have. But our neighbors seem very happy with it so far and now DH & I are waffling on our EP decison.

Installing the EP would be about $30k when all is said and done (including electric, hardscape, gas lines run, etc.). We estimate installing a portable hot tub like the Grandee will cost about 1/2 that. Either way, we will not be installing in ground due to easement and setback issues (anything portable or aboveground is subject to less restrictive codes). Our total available space is 13ftx23ft which is long and skinny like a bowling alley LOL

We've come to the conclusion that installing a real pool in our backyard would be just too expensive due the weird shape and small size + easements/setbacks involved. But we would really like something for our boys to be able to swim in even tho it would have to be fairly small. BTW we currently have one of those Intex Easy Set pools set up and the kids LOVE LOVE it. LOL It's only 10ft by 30in and takes up pretty much all of our patio.

Anyways, after all that my question would be....what would you all recommend us looking at in the way of large spas? Or should be stick with the EP/swim spa idea?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 05:28:03 pm by morgan23 »

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie question - best big hot tub?
« on: August 13, 2007, 05:26:58 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Newbie question - best big hot tub?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:35:27 pm »
Here's my take on it, I don't have much knowledge of swim spas.

1st - contact the building dept of your township and see exactly what is needed as far as requirements. You might need more setback than you think you do. A friend of mine has a Intex pool and was visited by his local building department and was told - take it down.

2nd - hot water and children may not mix. Talk to your pediatrician about it.

3rd - if everything checks out OK there are some spas that have a spa and swim part (I think) together. Check out Dimension 1 and Hydropool. There may be more.

From my experience - 2 years with a spa, children were 10 & 14 YO when I got it. Yes they will splash around but a spa certainly is not a pool. I don't know how deep a swim spa is but there's something to be said for jumping into deeper water than a spa, deeper may be the way to go. Also from my experience my kids tend to heat up faster than I do and that's with them not moving around a lot. Spas tend not to be "refreshing" more on the relaxing side.

I don't know how helpful I was but if #1 doesn't check out - all else is a no go.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 10:32:04 pm »
I have heard Dimension 1 makes a good swim spa.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

GregsSpa

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 07:27:42 am »
Check out Diamante, they are out of California.

Good equipment, great price. They sell a swim spa.

96SC

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 09:37:19 am »
This is kind of confirming what Vinny said in #2 of his list.  Some public/private places with spas don't allow anyone under 18 because of the overheating and disipating of heat by younger kids.  If the main reason you want the body of water is for your kids to swim/horseplay I'd go with a pool of some type.
Just my 2˘.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

eln1559

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:10:48 am »
Dimension One has a really great Swim Spa.  It has a couple different styles and options as well.  

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 11:57:53 am »
I have 2 kids as well 4 and 6.
I just keep the water around 98 deg. and they love it.
Yes it is true that kids heat up faster. But most at the time they stand in the water and play around. Just give them a few toy's and they will be happy.
the only problem for me is to keep the water clean with the kids in it. They constantly jump in and out and get the dirt in the tub.

P.S
There is no relaxing with the kids either.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:58:55 am by hot_tub_Frank »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 11:57:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42