What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Small Space for Small Spa HELP!!!  (Read 8762 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Small Space for Small Spa HELP!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 06:43:56 pm »
If warranty is important to you , make sure you see it in writing before you buy.  Resort spas have a shorter warranty than Artesian and it is not on their web site.

I think any warranty is important but you will pay more for the longer warranty. Artesian's Island series came standard with a 3 year electronic/pump/plumbing warranty but their Platinum and Gold series had (has) a 5 year for the same. My dealer told me that all the same motors and pumps were used in the Island series as their upper end lines. Artesian had a Promo line that had only a one year warranty and was cheaper than the Island series and used different components.

The Resort spa was a private label spa originally I think. If it's on par with the standard Artesian Island or Gold line - it will be an awesome tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 06:43:56 pm »

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 07:11:01 pm »
Okay folks....to make this even more confusing, :-/ for me, a friend sent me info on his spa he has in GA. It's a Trinidad by Hot Springs/HOT SPOT.....After looking at the web site, I see it is 5'10" x 6'8" x 34" way perfect for my small space. I am also only 5'3" tall and weigh 105lbs. His issue with the JetSetter was floating out of the lounger (he's 5'9" tall) that's why he went with the Trinidad; it was comfortable and no float...He's had his for over a year with only one issue; foam in the water. He was told to empty the spa after a month and refill. Since then, he's not had a problem. It's not got all the extra whistles and bells. He ordered the optional Freshwater Corona Discharge system. I assuming this is similar to the ozonator??? Also, weather wise, from GA to Old Hickory we have about 5 degrees diff in temp. So, it rarely get's lower than the teens here in winter. For the most part it's in the low 40's to 30's. The insulation is full foam. He also does not have 220 electrical.

I do not recall the Hot Springs dealer even having one on site or any Hot Spot being mentioned. (He was pushing really the JetSetter and kind of talked down the Solana TX, but that IMO is comparing apples to oranges) I only saw Hot Springs, Tiger River, Solana and Classic's. What kind of bothers me as he KNEW the small space requirements I have. I had even drawn out a landscape design to show him the space requirements. (I'm a free-lance landscape designer, so the design was up to CAD specs)

The reading I've done on this site and the limited reading on another site say it's a good spa w/Hot Springs reputation behind it, with a limited warranty not as good as the Hot Springs model's.

I noticed on the Hot Spot web site that they have another model called the Sorrento 6'6" x 6'6" x 36" and the comments here are very good about them.

Should I ask the Hot Springs dealer about the Sorrento & the Trinidad? Are these reccomended by any of you folks? Pro's---Con's????

One person on another thread spoke of  both being a low end, entry level spa and, just okay if you want to soak...what does that mean exactly? Is it a cheaply made spa that has no massage benefits????

Thank you for ALL the reply's and help.
(I apologize for this being so long, I just like to have as much info as possible before I plunk down my hard earned cash and tend to over do the research before I commit to something. It's an occupational hazard)
Thanks again to everyone.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 07:34:33 pm »
Here's my opinion.

Since you have space restraints and with that you may not get "the best" tub - whatever that is (some people sometimes have a preconcieved notion that something is "the best"), soaking in hot water with jets is nice PERIOD.

Back when these spas first started all they had were a few jets. Hot Springs along with the other brands associated with them will be fine as long as you aren't comparing it to one of their 8 foot spas which you're not.

Don't listen to what others say - it is going to be in your backyard. There are people out there who are enjoying their Home Depot or Walmart spa - I know of one.  I would ask the salesperson about it but it sounds like to me that  this person has his/her needs on his/her mind not yours. The ONLY problem might be buying this sight unseen or even being able to see if you're comfortable in it.

If youre OK with buying that way and like the dealer I say go for it otherwise continue shopping or find another HS dealer that will listen to what YOU want and need.

Again, it's just my opinion.

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 09:22:48 pm »
Thanks for ALL the input.....I'll let you all know how the wet test goes tomorrow.....I'm looking forward to it. I am leaving the check book at home so I can sleep on it before making the final decision..... 8-)
Regards,
WannaSoakNow
P.S. I also know a few folks that have HomeDepot, Costco, and Walmart spa's....My boss has a HomeDepot spa & loves it (he had a few issues at first and they were taken care of; 3 years later he still likes his spa) Cindy, a friend of mine, has a Costco spa she purchased online, this past Xmas, her only issue has been water quality. IMO her fault. She doen't like to take care of it as required. As to the friend with the WalMart spa; he took it back and now has a CalSpa that he loves. I also have friends with many name brand spa's bought from dealers.  These folks are happy with their purchases..for me I not only want to sit in it dry I want to see what it feels like filled with water.....I call it touchy feely happy.....More later on the wet test.... :)

Thanks again

loosenupspas

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 11:36:07 am »
Consider a Coleman 351...ideal for small areas....filtration is simple top loading, using a First Filter and a baffle filter to keep the water bright and clear.    It is a wonderful personal therapy device, measuring basically 5' x 7', jets are well placed and pump is strong.  Go out and find your local Coleman dealer, you won't be disappointed......good luck....Tom

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 02:59:28 pm »
I'll let you all know how the wet test goes tomorrow.....I'm looking forward to it.
What's the verdict?

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 03:28:25 pm »
On the way shortly to test the Artesian Resort, and found a Coleman Dealer in Hendersonville, so trying that one out tonight also. Hot Springs has been pushed back until tomorrow....See ya all soon with the first set of results.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 07:57:39 pm »
I do not recall the Hot Springs dealer even having one on site or any Hot Spot being mentioned. (He was pushing really the JetSetter and kind of talked down the Solana TX, but that IMO is comparing apples to oranges) I only saw Hot Springs, Tiger River, Solana and Classic's. What kind of bothers me as he KNEW the small space requirements I have. I had even drawn out a landscape design to show him the space requirements. (I'm a free-lance landscape designer, so the design was up to CAD specs)

I'm not a dealer, and maybe the Hot Spring dealers here could confirm this, but I'm not sure that all Hot Spring dealers sell all the brands of tubs that Watkins makes.  That might be why he didn't bring up the Hot Spot.

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 11:44:41 pm »

I'm not a dealer, and maybe the Hot Spring dealers here could confirm this, but I'm not sure that all Hot Spring dealers sell all the brands of tubs that Watkins makes.  That might be why he didn't bring up the Hot Spot.

Rich

Often times the main reason for this is space. Not all dealers have showrooms big enough to show each of the models from the manufacturer may have to offer. Heck, go to their site and look at the number of models Cal Spas has; you'd probably have to have a airport hanger to have all of them on the showroom floor LOL.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 05:01:25 pm »
Hello,
   Wow! How wonderful it was to try these spa's out w/Water! Still have another one to go.That one will be next weekend with re-test on two others. The results so far. (took along a good friend who is 6'1" to check out the length as a few of my friends are tall. That turned out to be a very good thing)

JetSetter-Love the seats. Very comfortable, Jets were placed just right for me, depth was great. I HATED the lounger!!! I could not stay in it, felt like I was going under. Even with the little "BUTT" pillow. I just had to fight to stay in it. Also, the Moto Massage jets would push me forward and then the floating.My freind LOVED the lounger as he could hook his feet & stay seated. To me I would have 1/2 a spa as I can't stay put in the lounger. We also noted that when both of us were using the facing seats leg room was really tight. So, as that one goes, even with the wonderful dealer reputation and the warranty, I can't see buying something that I can only use half of it. Negative-I want to use the whole spa not just two seats. Also, had a few slip moments. That may just be me being not used to jets running & moving from place to place.

Solana TX- I hate to admitt this but, I fit into this little plastic pie wedge just fine! The "Mini Moto", as I call it, was wonderful; felt so good. The deeper seat & the shallower one felt just fine! My friend liked the deeper seat, on the shallow one his shoulders were almost out of the water,he had to scrunch down. He could, although, stretch out, much to both of our suprise. Any movement we did however displace water all over the showroom floor. Getting in & out was a breeze; no sliping or feeling like you might fall.  Gee, how could something so ugly feel so good!!!!!.Negative- Warranty. 1 year on everything. Hmm, still thinking on this one.

Coleman 315- Made for my body! No question. The lounger is set up so that you can not only have a heel hook but, also has a over hang that helps hold your legs down. The massage from the jets was strong yet not over powering. I also rotated the jets to hit my back just right. I liked that feature. I also liked the fact that I didn't have to fight with floating, I stayed put. No "BUTT" pillow needed. The other two facing seats also had a good feel to them. I loved the neck jets! That felt great. On the other seat, which sits a bit deeper, I had to rotate the jets a bit to hit the right area. They were also a bit strong, that's when the dealer showed me how to ajust flow & rotation, then it was just fine. My friend, on the other hand, was not as comfortable in the lounger. His knees were bent up & he was almost out of the water at the shoulders. He did comment that he could still feel the calf massage & the back but not as well as he could in the JetSetter. He felt fine in the two seats and could stretch out almost like a 1/2 lounger & loved the jet's from the other seat hitting his feet. Hand holds are well placed & the well is heavy textured as an anti-slip area. Another plus, as I did do some slipping in the JetSetter. The arm rests were not in the way. Pillows were at the right height. Easy to read & figure out control pannel. Negative- Not full foam. (Okay before this starts an argument, I read ALL the "Beating a Dead Horse" sections of this forum on FF & TP.) I'm not sure this will be an issue where I live. We RARELY get to 0 degrees here. Mostly stay's in the 30's in the winter with a week that we hit the teens. Winter is very short. But, it still is a concern to think about.

Coleman 461- Hey, if someone hadn't posted look at Coleman I would have never found this one. Had to drive a bit longer to the dealer but, was worth it IMHO. It's only 6'x6' very able to fit my space requirements... Not as intimate as the 351, but plenty of leg room. I did need the "BUTT" pilow for the lounger to hook my feet into the heel rests bringing me up better out of the water. I did not float. I liked the open seating; being able to move from jet configuration to another. The jet power was very good also. It does have two pumps & you did notice the difference. My friend liked the space for the lounger & actually said he rather liked the massage on the back as he could move around the jet to get a better area of his back. Not as much of a pounding as the JetSetter that goes up & down the back.I felt it was more like the "Mini Moto" on the Solana TX. Both of us like the calf massage jets & both of the foot massage jets. The best seat in the Spa was the seat with the neck/upper shoulder jets. Neither of us wanted to leave that seat. The controls for the jets & diverters are located near each seat. No real reaching for where the diverter or controls are. Hand holds were well placed also. Negative- Again, not full foam.

CalSpa A534 - Not for me. Filter cover fell off as I got in & cracked in half. Okay, yes, it's a floor model that has been handled a lot but, it's made if very flimsy plastic. The lounger was a nightmare, for me. I could not hang on & my hands slipped while trying to hold onto the armrest. I also sat way too deep. The other seats were okay. I just didn't sit well in it. My freind got in & got out. He said the seats were uncomfortable for him. He had the leg room but not the massage he got from the others.

Next week the Artesian. It was to late to test one more. Sorry this is so long. If anything I slept real well.  ;)

kevinv18

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 12:09:32 am »
I'd go with the Jetsetter because its cheaper than most HotSpring models but it still has the moto-massage like all the other models.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 12:09:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42