What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HIGH WINDS RIP APART COVER LIFTER  (Read 4671 times)

spaz

HIGH WINDS RIP APART COVER LIFTER
« on: August 05, 2007, 05:53:33 pm »
Okay, is there a black cloud just hanging over me or what! >:(  

Let's see, chemicals are right, jacuzzi leak is fixed but today some fairly high winds came into town and literally ripped the cover lift, bended bars, metal pieces snapped in half and it threw the cover off the tub.  Is this common?  

The cover lifter was included in the purchase and after the first week, it started to rust.  

What do you think?  Do you think there is a chance I can get the dealer to replace it.  Tub is now 1 month old.  

Of course there is lots of debris in the tub too!  

I am just pissed off!   >:(

Hot Tub Forum

HIGH WINDS RIP APART COVER LIFTER
« on: August 05, 2007, 05:53:33 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: HIGH WINDS RIP APART COVER LIFTER
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 06:10:33 pm »
It can be common. Sorry to hear of your problem.

I had my cover open the wrong way by winds with a coverlifter on. Ever since then when I know winds are expected I lock the cover to make sure that it doesn't happen again. One night as I was sleeping I heard the winds kick up and I laid in bed wondering if I should go lock the cover ... of course I didn't but I stayed up worrying about it! I also totally lock the cover when I go away just in case someone gets an idea to use the tub.

As a newbie you will have a lot learning experiences - some can be bad, but it really does get easier as you go along.

I would try the dealer but if not there may be better cover lifters out there for you. Mine is 2 YO and it hasn't started rusting.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 07:32:14 pm »
Covers should ALWAYS be latched closed. If for nothing else, for safety issues. Notice a cover  lifter is called a "lifter", not a "hold  down". They do nothing in terms of holding down a cover, be it wind or anything else.

Your mentioning of the lift beginning to rust in the first week leads me to believe it may be an Icon brand. Dealer cost on these is generally in the $29 to $40 range.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:35:50 pm »
SPAZ

Sorry to hear about what happened.  If your dealer won't help you out, perhaps your

homeowners insurance can.  Hope all works out well for you.  Let us know.

spaz

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 08:04:25 pm »
Thanks all for your advice.  The locks haven't been installed yet because when they delivered the spa, they didn't have them so we got them when the guy came out to check the leak.  The dealer said they would not install them.  My husband had not installed them yet because the dealer has to come back again and move the exterior lights because they were supposed to deliver 4 but only delivered 2.

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 08:56:49 pm »
I just hate to hear that you have that much trouble with your Hot Tub.
It is a big purchase and it should be enjoyable and not a pain in the but.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 08:57:46 pm »
???? Why wouldn't the dealer install the locks? Isn't this part  of the delivery and set up??? It sure as he11 should be. This could be a major liability issue............. FOR THE DEALER.

If the dealer delivers the spa,  sets it up, and puts the cover on, I would think they are responsible/liable, for doing it correctly.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

spaz

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 09:19:09 pm »
Thank you Dr. Spa.  I agree.  I don't know why they wouldn't put the locks on.  But I'm calling tomorrow and finding out how to get this corrected.  

geekd

• 2006 HS Grandee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 09:20:48 pm »
Lets see:

cheap cover lifter
wrong # of lights
won't install locks

sounds like you have a crappy dealer.

Why don't you tell us their name so we can shun them?  :)

-geekd

spaz

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 09:27:49 pm »
Oh and let's not forget the leaking fountain.  I know that is not the dealer's fault persay but if they checked everything prior to leaving--oh--but it was 5 o'clock on a Friday.  

meriflower

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 09:30:02 am »
Grrrrrr!   >:(  Not a good way to start!  Keep us posted and I hope for a positive outcome!

spaz

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 05:50:58 pm »
I went and saw my sales person today.  Unfortunately the owner is out of town and won't be back until Thursday but I think they are going to take care of me.  I'll keep you posted.  Let's hope this is it for the DRAMA!!!!!

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 06:53:02 pm »
The cover lifter was included in the purchase and after the first week, it started to rust.  

What kind of cover lift did they give you?  Mine has been on my tub since November and nothing has rusted, nor would I expect it would.  That's really bad.
Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 06:53:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42