What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Drain and Refill  (Read 3552 times)

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
Drain and Refill
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:26:39 pm »
After a month of ownership, we developed an uncontrollable foaming issue with our water.  Tried some anti-foam chemicals, which worked for a day but then returned.  Also tried to use a skimmer as I saw suggested in another topic, but that was just about impossible.  Ended up just draining the tub and refilling.  Hopefully we get the hang of this chemical balancing act because I don't want to have to do this every month.

Not that it was a big deal.  It was actually painless using a sump pump.  Then just wiped it down and refilled.  Water is a brisk 68*.  This will be the first day we haven't used it since it was hooked up.  :(  Can't wait until tomorrow night....

Hot Tub Forum

Drain and Refill
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:26:39 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Drain and Refill
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 11:32:28 pm »
Wise decision to dump and fill.  You won't have to do this every 30 days.
Brewman

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:42:15 pm »
Wise decision to dump and fill.  You won't have to do this every 30 days.

See Chas' Law. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:18:22 am »
Have you read up on the likely causes of foaming?  If you are using swimsuits in the tub, make sure that they don't go in the regular wash since they come out with detergent which then gets transferred to the tub.  Also, the anti-foaming chemicals can cause other problems with your water and/or filters if you use too much.  Some people dilute the stuff with water and keeping it in a spray bottle to use very sparingly when needed.  Try searching for threads on foaming for more info.

Good luck with the second fill!
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

104 degrees

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:10:26 am »
Have you read up on the likely causes of foaming?  If you are using swimsuits in the tub, make sure that they don't go in the regular wash since they come out with detergent which then gets transferred to the tub.  Also, the anti-foaming chemicals can cause other problems with your water and/or filters if you use too much.  Some people dilute the stuff with water and keeping it in a spray bottle to use very sparingly when needed.  Try searching for threads on foaming for more info.

Good luck with the second fill!

This is true. foam also could be a problem that must be taken care of to stop it in the future.

john

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 10:56:34 am »
All the points mentioned thus far are good ones. I would add that it is important to rinse your filters also to eliminate contamination of products that caused the foam in the previous fill from effecting this one.

Foam can be caused by;

- high pH
- low hardness
- soap on bathing suits (just hang to dry after use)
- lotions, soaps, shampoos, etc.
- improper and infrequent shocking
- dirty filters
- not enough turn over of the water (increase filter cycles)
- too much anti-foam
- some aroma products

Chas' law (as it's known to be) is that new owners don't have a handle on their watercare in the first month and rather than fight it and spend the time and money doing so, it's easier to drain and refill. It will get easier but like anything that is new, there is a learning curve to it. Chances are that you'll get 3 or 4 months out of this next fill.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:36:20 am by Steve »

Steelerpete

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 03:50:26 pm »
Hey Dax, we had some foam issues at the beginning as well, then my wife started showering before every soak to wash off the creams and  makeup and the foam is gone. Happy Tubbing!!!!!! :)

P.S. As a side note the first time I filled the tub I drained the hot water tank into it and we where tubbing the same day if your hose can get to the laundry sink. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:01:27 pm by Steelerpete »

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 04:41:57 pm »
Our pH had been high when we first filled it.  Added a lot of pH decreaser to get it within acceptable limits.  I will definitely keep an eye on it.

Our water is hard  so that shouldn't have been a problem.  Something like 280ppm.

We did buy new suits this year, which we only use in the tub and we don't wash them.  Of course, friends' suits differ.  The Mrs and I would prefer to soak au natural, but there's always kids around.

The lotions and soaps are what I suspect.

As for shocking, our dealer told us to shock with MPS before or after each use.  Also said to use dichlor once a week.  In addition, we have an ozonator and Sun Purity silver cartridge.  I believe the AquaChek strips have some sort of sanitizer measurement.  I will definitely have to keep better track of it.  However, with the ozonator, it was advertised as not requiring as much chemicals.  So that would surprise and perhaps disappoint me that I would need to do more shocking than I have been.

The Sundance filters are designed to be tossed after six months or so.  Anyone have one?  Should they be cleaned regulary as well?

Default on the spa is that it filters four times per day for 30 minutes plus it circulates 24x7.  I would think that would be sufficient, no?

Only used the anti-foam twice.  Once when I noticed it and it seemed to help.  The second time when it returned.  But it was uncontrollable hence the drain and refill.

My wife wants to try some of the aroma stuff, but we haven't done so yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 05:08:58 pm »
Most scents should be fine.  I would use less than the recommended dose.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Steelerpete

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 07:21:19 pm »
We use the aroma stuff on the weekends and it's ok.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 07:21:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42