What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover lifter or not?  (Read 12232 times)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Cover lifter or not?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 12:21:41 am »
Do you folks have cover lifters or not?  I see posts talking about each but can't determine if a majority of you do or don't have one.
Thanks
If you live in a climate that experiences freezing temps, you'll definetly want/need one. The only down fall that I can think of for having a lifter would be the possibility of obstructing a view. But how many of us really live somewhere that the privacy in which it provides not to mention it's wind shielding capabilities is less important? I wouldn't think many.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 12:21:41 am »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 12:29:15 am »
I would "guess" that 99% of folks have cover lifters.  

I've seen only three without:

1) my first cheapy POS, free,  3rd hand round spa.  What a pain in the butt.

2) Zep - who has a fancy smancy faux stone panel and doesn't want to drill into it.  ;)

3) Folks with a flush install on deck. They just slide the cover off to the side.

I highly recomend a lifter.   Having had a tub without one, and 2 tubs with the lifter, I think it's a must. It makes using the tub so much easier and saves the cover from being torn up (And from getting dirty, which ends up in the water).

Some lifters are better than others, so shop around.

Very nice Drew. How about a review of your Caldera when you have some time. How do you like it so far?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:30:02 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 11:32:48 am »
As far as installing the lifter? I installed my cover mate 1 lifter and it was ok.  I would prefer the dealer do it, as if you screw it up, it's your fault.  

It took me about 45 mintues to install my CM1. There were a bazillion screws and I was anal about getting the placement perfect.  So sure, if you can measure, have a good drill and a steady hand it's a pretty straight forward install.  

But for my money, I'd rather have the pro's do it while I look on with a beer:

I had the dealer install my prolift on my geneva and he made it look easy. He had templates and jigs made up to ensure the proper location.

Goob; I'm loving the Geneva.   A reveiw would be a nice post.  Maybe if I can find my geneva post I'll update it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 11:36:00 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

ASAP

• 2006 Optima
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 11:43:42 am »
Has anyone here ever used, installed or sold a cover shelf? Any educated opinion on this type of pruduct would be greatly appreciated. Any inconveniences to be noted with this type of storage solution during winter/snow months?

http://www.spacoverlifts.com/CoverShelf/cover-shelf.htm

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 11:24:20 am »
Thanks everyone who has replied.

Those of you that have the CoverMate lifters, did you install it yourself?  Do you have the side or under mount version?  If you installed it yourself was it a PITA to do?  I saw them at Dr. Spa's website and they look easy enough to install.

Sorry Zep, we'll have the poor man's normal ol' wood siding.  I do have a couple concrete drill bits if you ever change your mind ;D

I had a CM1 lifter on my Tiger River. it was mounted to the sides of the tub. It wasn't hard, but given the fact I was drilling holes in my $7K hot tub, I was nervious. But, yea, take your time and you'll be fine.

I have come to really appreciate zeps stone skirt.  It's not for me, but I respect that he likes it, and dones't let anyone give em crap about it and the more I see his pics, the more I like it.

In fact, I was just looking at some of Cal Spas' outdoor kitchens that match up perfect to the hot tub. Zep, any plans on getting one of those? they look nice.
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 11:40:49 am »
I think I posted this before, but my cousin purchased an entire outdoor kitchen (Stainless) for his deck from his Cal Spa dealer. It is beautiful, and to top it off he bought a Cal Spa. I call it his DECK O RATION since he only got it to go with the kitchen!! And as far as I know, they don't even use the spa at all anymore. I am planning on going to the beach this weekend, I will take a picture of the set up and outdoor kitchen for you Drew.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

spaz

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 08:14:39 pm »
I love having the cover lifter--it came with my tub--but even if it didn't--it would be money well spent.  For me, it provides privacy as I don't have a fence and I live on the golf course so it keeps me from getting hit in the head with golf balls.  Plus it's such an easy way to store the cover when not in use.

I'm a big fan of the cover lifter!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 10:36:19 pm »
re: "I have come to really appreciate zeps stone skirt.....In fact, I was just looking at some of Cal Spas' outdoor kitchens that match up perfect to the hot tub. Zep, any plans on getting one of those? they look nice"

Drew......thanks for the kind words.

No my current yard size/set-up does not lend itself to the CalSpa outdoor kitchen but I have seen them on their web-site.

My house is basically a "zero-lot-line" house.....which I am not thrilled about except there is not as much yard work......however I have always wanted a swimming pool and will probably move in the next 5 years so I can have one. Maybe then I'll do the big outdoor kitchen you speak about.......for now I just have this....but hey...it works.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:39:08 pm by Zep »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 09:38:02 pm »
I have a coverlift with my new tub and I love it.  It makes using the tub so easy.  Especially in the winter.  

For 11 years with my old tub, I didn't have a lift becuase the tub had a gazebo on it which would not permit a lifter.  Looking back, I know I used the tub less than I would have just because it was such a hassel to lift the cover off of it.  I also got a lot of dirt and debris in the tub from the bottom of the cover while it was off the tub.  

The worst part was when the cover would get heavy as it got older.  Boy, it was like going to the gym when you went to the tub!

Coverlifts Now, Coverlifts Forever!
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 09:38:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42