What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: To tip or not to tip  (Read 10126 times)

Shawnm

To tip or not to tip
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:44:25 am »
Next week we are getting are new hot tub. I will be home to help the two guy's out that will be installing the new tub & taking the old tub away. With the lifting with the old one & putting the new tub down. Do you tip the guy's/kid's that will be setting the tub up or no & how much if yes. Any help would be great

Hot Tub Forum

To tip or not to tip
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:44:25 am »

Chris_H

Re: To tip or not to tip
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:47:07 am »
Many times, the guys that fix them deliver them.  They remember the ones that tip them.  If I was tipping them, give them enough to buy lunch or a case of beer.  

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 10:17:49 am »

I gave my delivery supervisor a $25 Chili's Restaurant
gift certificate.

He then proceeded to give me his direct cell phone
number and said if there was ever a problem to
just give him a call.

Tipping is a personal choice, but I often choose
to do it because it can make the people you need
remember you from "Joe Blow".

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 10:18:03 am by Zep »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 10:28:31 am »
I tipped the muscle who delivered the tub and wrangled it into position by giving each of the three of them a $20.00 bill.  I did not tip the sales manager and the owner of the dealership who came out once the tub was in position to hook it up, install the SpAudio and cover lift.  I felt they were directly benefiting from the sale of the tub by the commission and/or ownership interest in the business.  

Any thoughts on whether I did it right?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 11:54:00 am »
The 2 guys that delivered mine left from 200 miles away at 5 a.m. on a Sunday morning bringing with them a forklift to position the tub on my 8' deck and had it set up and running in 2 hrs without a scratch.  I tipped'em a C note.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:02:13 pm »
I gave my delivery supervisor a $25 Chili's Restaurant
gift certificate.

He then proceeded to give me his direct cell phone
number and said if there was ever a problem to
just give him a call.

Tipping is a personal choice, but I often choose
to do it because it can make the people you need
remember you from "Joe Blow".

I agree and start by offering them something to drink before they even get started (coke, coffee, etc.). This way they'll feel they're providing a service to a respectful customer and may even surmise that a tip might be in the offering (I'm not suggesting you make any promise or even hint) and will probably take even better care if they see you as one of the nice customers up front.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

eightisenough

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 12:02:27 pm »
If you tip a guy that brings a pizza, then you have to tip someojne bringing a 900 pound tub.  Even more is he will be servicing it.  I'd say $75 to $100 would be right.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 12:21:24 pm »
The clowns that delivered mine was a contractor, they couldn't figure out how to put the steps together, they put the lifter on wrong, drilled a hole in the cover, and tried to sell me a $200 chemical kit.    No-tip.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 12:21:56 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 12:24:46 pm »
If you tip a guy that brings a pizza, then you have to tip someojne bringing a 900 pound tub.  Even more is he will be servicing it.  I'd say $75 to $100 would be right.

You tipped your spa delivery guy a $100?

07 Caldera Geneva

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 12:46:31 pm »
I have a company policy, we cannot accept tips. We charge a fee for a service and expect to be paid for that service but nothing more. A cool glass of water on a hot day is nice though.

Why would you tip someone for doing their job?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 12:47:41 pm by Gary »
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

eightisenough

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 01:26:25 pm »
I'm about to buy a spa and will tip the guy (unless he drops it) $75 to $100.  I'm spending $10,000.  Why would I not recognize the guys who are delivering and installing it?    Maybe if they are just dropping it off, i will give them less.

As far as doing their job.  I tip wauters, barbers,  pizze delivery men, cab drivers, guys that deliver furniture etc.  Why not these people?    

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 01:33:14 pm »
I'm about to buy a spa and will tip the guy (unless he drops it) $75 to $100.  I'm spending $10,000.  Why would I not recognize the guys who are delivering and installing it?    Maybe if they are just dropping it off, i will give them less.

As far as doing their job.  I tip wauters, barbers,  pizze delivery men, cab drivers, guys that deliver furniture etc.  Why not these people?    

I'm more along the lines of  what gary posted.  These guys are getting paid to do their job.    If they did exceptional work, above and beyond then I would tip them.

Do you tip the UPS guys? Bus Drivers? Cops? janitors?

Some jobs are dependent on tips, (bar tenders, waitresses, pizza delivery, strippers, black jack dealers and priests.) and I tip.  Other jobs are not tip dependent, and I do not tip unless somethint extraoirdinary occured.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 01:39:49 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Pathfinder

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 01:47:41 pm »
Being a former installer & service tech  tips were always a welcomed bonus but as a personal choice  I would refuse the tip & only excepted on persisitence from the customer.  Customers who wanted to tip or offer coffe, etc will always stand out and usually get priority treatment when it comes to schedules but every customer tip or not should still get a high level of service when it comes time.   Now as a store owner my policy for my staff  is to refuse a tip  and not expect a tip but if it is put in your hand I dont have a problem.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 02:29:49 pm »

I'm more along the lines of  what gary posted.  These guys are getting paid to do their job.    If they did exceptional work, above and beyond then I would tip them.

Do you tip the UPS guys? Bus Drivers? Cops? janitors?

Some jobs are dependent on tips, (bar tenders, waitresses, pizza delivery, strippers, black jack dealers and priests.) and I tip.  Other jobs are not tip dependent, and I do not tip unless somethint extraoirdinary occured.

Unless I receive poor service I obviously will tip a cab driver, waitress, pizza guy every time because a tip is customary and their hourly pay is adjusted for the assumed tip. It is true that there is no expectation of a tip to spa delivery person so they are paid with the idea that there is no tip. However, if you feel they have treated your spa with care then I think a tip is great (maybe not necessary but I'd feel good about showing the appreciation).

Some delivery/service people who aren't tipped regularly won't feel right about receiving cash. Though it really amounts to the same thing the idea of a gift card or a few movies tickets is really a smoother way to give it and makes it easier for someone to receive, especially if tips are the exception and not the norm for the receiver.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 02:32:19 pm »
I gave a tow truck operator a free pass to a nudie bar.  He was estatic.
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 02:32:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42