What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Switch to Bromine = Happy  (Read 5337 times)

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Switch to Bromine = Happy
« on: June 11, 2007, 06:52:02 pm »
After almost a year of using chlorine (Vermonter Method), I decided to switch to bromine.

I was completely happy with chlorine, I just wanted to try Bromine as I thought maybe it would easier to maintain.

Well it's been almost 2 months and I'm happy with the switch.
At first it took me a couple of soaks to get used to the new smell, but after that I didn't seem to notice it at all.

The bromine floater tablets last alot longer than I thought. My PH has been more stable than with chlorine also.
I shock with non-chlorine shock and an occasional super dose of chlorine.

It's nice not having to run the jets for 5 min after I get out. I'm sure this will be much nicer in the winter also.

Plus my wife likes the smell much better than chlorine so that's a plus.

For those who have not tried Bromine give it a shot, I'm glad I did.

Hot Tub Forum

Switch to Bromine = Happy
« on: June 11, 2007, 06:52:02 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Switch to Bromine = Happy
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 06:57:05 pm »
Yep both work well, just find the ones that best for you... :)

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:35:15 pm »
With bromine tablets you need to be very diligent about checking the pH, the bromine tablets are very acidic will constantly draw the pH down. The low pH will have an affect of clear water and a lot of people will equate clear water as good water.

People that use bromine tablets will typically go through pump seals, heaters, PSI switches very fast.

I usually get people off them.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

SpaNE

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:35:41 pm »
People that use bromine tablets will typically go through pump seals, heaters, PSI switches very fast.

Yikes, that is bad!  Anyone else notice similar issues with bromine?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 05:48:14 pm »
So is all bromine the same, Gary?  Will my Frog system do the same thing?  Why would Marquis build it into their tubs if it was going to trash the parts. Also, I don't notice any problems keeping my pH stable.  
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 06:29:22 pm »
So is all bromine the same, Gary?  Will my Frog system do the same thing?  Why would Marquis build it into their tubs if it was going to trash the parts. Also, I don't notice any problems keeping my pH stable.  

I thought the same thing when I first saw them but the bromine they are using is a little higher in the pH scale and the system does a much better job in dissolving the bromine.

A lot of the problems with the tablets is small chunks break off and get caught on the heater and seals, so until it dissolves you have a little piece of very acidic material eating at your parts, you have a low flow system and it makes it ever worse.

I added the Frog system to my old shell and after 6-months I am very pleased with it. The key is starting the spa off properly.

Also, Marquis uses better seals and heaters than a lot of manufactures so they are much more resistant to the chemicals (if you are a off with it).

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 06:44:37 pm »
Just when you thought you heard it all you find out some stupid saleman somewhere actually is telling customers that bromine is bad because it will make you go through pump seals, heaters, PSI switches faster than other sanitizers.
My PH has been more stable than when I used chlorine.

I liked chlorine, but like bromine better
 8-)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 06:58:19 pm »
Just when you thought you heard it all you find out some stupid saleman somewhere actually is telling customers that bromine is bad because it will make you go through pump seals, heaters, PSI switches faster than other sanitizers.

8-)

Gary,
I thought you were in the service end. When did you get stupid and start selling spas?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Micah

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:13:15 pm »
With bromine tablets you need to be very diligent about checking the pH, the bromine tablets are very acidic will constantly draw the pH down. The low pH will have an affect of clear water and a lot of people will equate clear water as good water.

I guess it is different in other parts of the country.  Out here it is spas that use chlorine that go through PSI switches and pump seals very fast.  I'm sure it is due to the fact that we have a LOT of calcium in our water. Chlorine with its high ph keeps the ph to high and the calcium comes out of suspention and forms as a solid on EVERYTHING.  Seals go much faster out here with chlorine users than with bromine users.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 08:14:09 pm by Micah »
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 09:02:39 pm »
Here in Canada and back when I was selling spas, bromine users represented 70-80% of spa owners with a VERY high satisfaction. I disagree that bromine will effect heaters, etc moreso than chlorine as that wasn't my experience in 15+years. Maybe south of the border it's different?

I do agree that it is well worth the cost to get good bromine tabs (Spaguard) as the dept store brands do tend to break apart near the end and can effect levels. That said, this can also be an issure for lower quality chlorine tabs as well. Though bromine seems to be slightly more expensive at the till, they do tend to last much longer (slower dissolving) and therefore can be more cost effective in the long run.

I've found that chlorine (in general), has a more harsh smell and oxidizes more which causes burns on the bottom of the cover and pillows. Bromine is a slower dissolving product and the downfall would be heavy, continual use and relying too heavily on the floater. Bromine is a salt based system and is generally easier on the eyes and skin.

I've used bromine for many years without some of the "issues" mentioned here but maybe I'm just lucky...  ;)

Steve

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 10:01:24 pm »
I was using Brilliance bromine for a while.  It's 100% bromine- no chlorine or other stuff, IIRC.
 It's in "chunk" form- looks exactly like crushed chalk.  It's dispensed thru a floater with a dial to adjust the
level of water passing thru the bromine compartment.
It's made by the same people who make Baqua, probalby as a last resort effort to keep the money flowing in on unsatisfied Baqua users.
That's exactly how I got on the stuff.  

Not sure why, but when I was using it, some of the plastic surfaces in my spa, like the jet faces, and the weir gate assembly got this brownish stain on them.  
It scrubbed off easily enough, but kept coming back.  Now that I'm on dichlor, no more stains, and my Ph and alk reading are more stable.  With the Brilliance, I was constantly having to boost Ph and alk.

Brewman

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 07:11:03 am »

Glad I'm not the only person that thought this post to be assinine as well as ignorant. Then of course he qualifies this drivel with "Marquis uses better seals..."  Marquis manufactures their own pumps? Another example of the abundance of misinformation here.
Bullfrog 562

eightisenough

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 08:24:18 am »
I am waitinig for my Cameo and ask, without trying to cause trouble,  what is the effect of bromine or chlorine on us?  Is the exposure harmful and is better than the other?

If I google bromine oin spas, I see some disturbing allegations,  are these alarmists?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 08:36:21 am »

Glad I'm not the only person that thought this post to be assinine as well as ignorant. Then of course he qualifies this drivel with "Marquis uses better seals..."  Marquis manufactures their own pumps? Another example of the abundance of misinformation here.

Just a wee bit harsh don't ya think? I don't always agree with Gary (or others) but he's here to offer advice and for the most part, I find his information useful.

If there's "an abundance of misinformation" here, why are you here? :-X

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 09:39:49 am »

8-)

There is no possible way that pH is more stable with bromine than with dichlor.  If it is, it has nothing to do with the sanitizer.  Bromine has a very low pH as does non chlorine shock, if that is what you use to shock.  Dichlor is nearly neutral.  If the pH is not constantly drifting down, then it is because of something else in the water.

Chlorine works well for those who are daily soakers because you are always adding.  For those who soak less often, bromine may be a better alternative.  Bromine users may want to consider shocking with liquid chlorine or bleach which has a high pH to offset the low pH of bromine.

I have also heard of bromine being harder on equipment, though this may be more about pH and users not keeping the water in balance.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 09:47:51 am by tony »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 09:39:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42