What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs or a Catalina?  (Read 4999 times)

Roms

Hot Springs or a Catalina?
« on: May 26, 2007, 04:46:52 pm »
I am trying to decide between a Hot Springs and a Catalina.  Any tips or info would be helpful.  

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs or a Catalina?
« on: May 26, 2007, 04:46:52 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot Springs or a Catalina?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 05:14:56 pm »
 Neither buy a Jacuzzi!!  8-)

I dont know anything about a Catalina,so I would say get the HS,but go try a Jacuzzi anyway.

Roms

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 05:22:26 pm »
My wife is pressuring me to buy this thing either today or tomorrow so any help would be really appreciated.  Thanks

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 05:27:26 pm »
My wife is pressuring me to buy this thing either today or tomorrow so any help would be really appreciated.  Thanks

Wow, that's a quick decision for a rather expensive item! Don't forget, it will take some time to get a surface prepared (unless you have a concrete pad or sufficient deck already) plus time to get an electrician to hook it up. A few more days of research can't hurt, can it?

Have you wet tested both brands- especially the models you're interested in?
How long have their respective dealers been in business?
Have you talked prices? Do you get a good "vibe" from them?
Have you read the reviews posted here (just to the right of the "Forum" tab)?

Do those things and you'll probably have a good answer.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 05:41:25 pm »

Thats tough why the hurry?   And if thats the case,  I know you cant go wrong with the Hotsprings as far as quality goes.

As far as liking the spa for how it feels that will be a crap shoot,chances are you will like it.

I would still try the Jacuzzi.  Sorry cant help myself. :)

In Canada eh

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 06:39:17 pm »
When we were shopping for our tub we wet tested a Catalina (Neptune, I think).  We both liked the tub and the dealer but found out while looking into it a little deeper that the Catalina has a prorated warranty :o.  I'm not sure if this is only in Canada but it would be worth looking into.  Personally I would go with the Hot Springs.
Bullfrog 451

Spiderman

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 08:31:16 pm »
I would go with Hot Spring.  Skip the Catalina and try French (it's tastes almost like Catalina).  

Hot Spring is a great tub made by a great company with a great warranty.  I too would say to wet test, but it doesn't sound like you have the time to do that.  If you get a chance try a Hot Spring with MotoMassage, as people seem to either love it or hate it.  Your HotSpring dealer should also carry Tiger River Spas (which don't have MotoMassage), which are also a high quality spa with a great warranty.  Good luck and let us know what you end up with!
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Neptuner

• My only tub foam
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 03:16:34 am »
I have a Catalina. HotSpring was at the bottom of my list after wet-testing several brands. I asked for and received (at no additional cost) the extended warranty. Catalina is grossly underrated by the dealers that post in this forum. It is a high-quality tub. I've had mine for 3.5 years with only one minor problem - the relay switch for the blower had to be replaced - minor repair I did myself.

mr.spasr.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 05:56:18 pm »
Interesting with the free" extended warranty " and all that you replaced a bad relay your self??? I have been to the Catalina manufacturing plant as wel as Hot Springs and there is No comparison - as a consumer you only see the outside of the tub. The catalina is really not well made at all- insulation is an after thought and the tactic of dazzel them with BS is definately in play when it conmes to the features of the Catalina - No disrespect to the Catalina Owners /Dealers our there but they are in atotally different league from Hot Springs - Don't consider buying the Catalina -

Neptuner

• My only tub foam
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 11:41:24 am »
Yes I replaced it myself. My dealer is 110 miles from my home and charges a travel cost, even for warranty repairs. This is the dealer's choice. The factory mailed me the relay at no charge.

I never said my dealer was a good egg. But the tub is outstanding compared to many on the market. I chose the thermopane insulation style and a beautiful natural wood cabinet which still looks brand new after nearly 4 years. I ignored the glitzy options and paid only $6000 out the door for a 93" X 93" X 40" deep spa. I am 6'4" and my son is 6'6"". Most other tubs were too shallow and uncomfortable for us.

HotSpring makes a quality tub as you stated, but what you get for your money (value) is the main consideration. I did not want to pay $9000 for an uncomfortable tub with no whirlpool jet and no volcano jet and a bunch of diverter valves to have to keep changing while trying to relax and enjoy.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 12:00:52 pm »
Hi Roms.

Take your time here.   Your spending some  decent cash on an item that once it's in your yard, it's a real pain to get rid of.

I would wet test the tubs.   Also I would consider the insualtion of each of these tubs, the dealers, the warrenty and the price.    These are two significanlty different makers of tubs and I think, different classes of tubs,

If I had to make a "Blind" quick decision, I'd go with the hotsprings. They are the industry leader.  But then again, I would *strongly* advise you not to make a quick decision.  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 12:15:20 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 02:49:42 pm »
Interesting with the free" extended warranty " and all that you replaced a bad relay your self??? I have been to the Catalina manufacturing plant as wel as Hot Springs and there is No comparison - as a consumer you only see the outside of the tub. The catalina is really not well made at all- insulation is an after thought and the tactic of dazzel them with BS is definately in play when it conmes to the features of the Catalina - No disrespect to the Catalina Owners /Dealers our there but they are in atotally different league from Hot Springs - Don't consider buying the Catalina -

As a service tech for over 19-years I would agree with of what mr.spasr stated. From an overall service stand point the two best tubs are Marquis and Hot Springs.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 02:49:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42