What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need advice on lowering pH  (Read 2713 times)

cajun1

Need advice on lowering pH
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:25:25 pm »
Okay...I just dumped and refilled for the first time.  I have an Epic with the automatic bromine thing.  I put a packet of sodium bromide, then shocked and put the cartridges (mineral and bromine) in.  My pH is registering 8.0 on my Taylor kit and I've put in 12 oz (over time) of dry acid and it still hasn't come down at all.  Any suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

Need advice on lowering pH
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:25:25 pm »

Micah

Re: Need advice on lowering pH
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:42:12 pm »
how many oz. of ph dec do you put in at a time?  If you put it in one oz. at a time it dosent seem to work as well as adding 3 oz. at a time...just my observation
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

cajun1

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:44:34 pm »
I did the 1 oz. twice, then 2 ozs about three times, then 3 ozs three times.

Micah

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 10:46:42 pm »
what is your total alkalinity?

cajun1

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 10:50:29 pm »
well, when I started, it was really high, too.  I just tested that with the dip stick and not the Taylor kit.  I actually haven't checked it since my pH hasn't lowered any.

Micah

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:54:41 pm »
I ask about the t/a only cuz if your t/a gets to low you need to stop adding ph dec untill the t/a comes back up.  A t/a under 80 means the water is corrosive and will attack the metals in the water...ie. the heater

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 10:55:00 pm »
You need to knock down TA 1st, with much higher doses of pH decreaser. :'(
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

cajun1

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:15:06 pm »
Okay...just checked it again.  The Taylor kit said the TA is 90 and the dip strip said it was 120.  My pH is still at 8.0.  The weird thing is the bromine level was at 2.0 earlier today and now it's at 10 and I haven't done anything but the pH Down.  What's going on???

Micah

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 11:41:54 pm »
when you put in the packet of sodium bromide (salt) and then shock( I assume with potasiummonopasulfate) you create high concentrations of bromine.  You can also get false ph readings.  The term "hypobromus blue" refers to a false high ph reading due to a high bromine level.  In short.  Go to bed and don't worry about it till tomorrow.  By then the bromine level will be lower and the ph reading will be more accurate.

cajun1

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »
OK, except that I did the fill on Friday, put in the sodium bromide on Friday, and then shocked on Saturday.  The pH has been high ever since.  The TA seems okay, though.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 05:46:31 am »
OK, except that I did the fill on Friday, put in the sodium bromide on Friday, and then shocked on Saturday.  The pH has been high ever since.  The TA seems okay, though.

At TA 90 and PH of 8.0 I would relax a while and see what happens. Be patient use the tub and allow your bromine to sanatize and bring the PH down. In a couple weeks if it still is not closer 7.8-7.6 then use a bit more PH down. But your not that bad at 8.0. Keep an eye on your TA though incase it drops below 90
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 05:46:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42