What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: treatment before a week away?  (Read 2752 times)

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
treatment before a week away?
« on: April 26, 2007, 07:52:28 am »
Hi all-
I did a search but was unable to find anything on this topic.  I will be leaving for a week with no-one babysitting the spa.  What do you recommend for a pre-treatment and then post-treatment?
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Hot Tub Forum

treatment before a week away?
« on: April 26, 2007, 07:52:28 am »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: treatment before a week away?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 08:52:25 am »
I would clean the filters thoroughly, turn down the temp and add enough chlorine to bring ppm up to 10-15 or so.  Upon returning, if you find you still have a substantial amount of free chlorine, just leave the cover open to the sun (if outside) to help lower it...or invite your nasty inlaws over for a soak... ;)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 11:26:09 am »
If you follow Surfdog's recommendation (assuming you use chlorine) there is no problem with using the spa at high chlorine levels.  I recall one at one of the Olympic games, the swimmers were in pools with 10+PPM.

If you want to use the spa as soon as you get back, do not turn the temp down.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 11:48:19 am »
I have an ozonator, and I have left my water untreated for as long as two weeks without any problems.

I should not say completely untreated, but just about.

I put a normal amount of bromine ( in my case) after the last soak as I normally would after every soak, and then do a high dose several hours prior to going in again, after the two weeks have gone by. Water is always nice and clear (I know that's not necessarily an indicator of quality, but the water does not smell and have not had any skin issues).

nlittle

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 12:01:41 pm »
Thanks all
Will turning it down keep bacteria from growing as fast?  

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 12:06:00 pm »
Yes. I never did.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 07:40:51 am »
I would clean the filters thoroughly, turn down the temp and add enough chlorine to bring ppm up to 10-15 or so.  Upon returning, if you find you still have a substantial amount of free chlorine, just leave the cover open to the sun (if outside) to help lower it...or invite your nasty inlaws over for a soak... ;)

To add to this train of thought, my tub doesn't have a 24 hour circ pump, the filtration is done by running pump #1 on low for a predetermined amount of time, normally I filter 6 hours a day.  If I was going away that long I would turn it up to 10 in addtion to what WSD had to say.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

nlittle

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 09:46:59 am »
Thanks again everyone.  I have a HS which runs all the time on the circ pump with ozone and N2, so I can't schedule any filtration.
I will be out doing this today...probably not the filter cleaning since it is raining and I will be due for a water change when I get back.
See you guys in about a week!

SpaNE

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 11:44:20 am »
Thanks again everyone.  I have a HS which runs all the time on the circ pump with ozone and N2, so I can't schedule any filtration.
I will be out doing this today...probably not the filter cleaning since it is raining and I will be due for a water change when I get back.
See you guys in about a week!

1. How can you tell if your ozonator is working?  
2. I also have a 24 hr. circ pump with my Jacuzzi, but you can also set it to do add'l filtration if you want.  I assme you can do this on the HS as well?
3. Enjoy your vacation!

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 11:53:34 am »

1. How can you tell if your ozonator is working?  

In HS tubs bubbles of gas come out of the vent through which hot water comes out of.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 12:04:11 pm »

In HS tubs bubbles of gas come out of the vent through which hot water comes out of.

Which tells you that the ozone sytem is plumbed properly and working unobstructed but it doesn't really tell you that the ozonator is creating bubbles (are those ozone bubbles or air bubbles, that is the question).

One reason I'm an ozone beleiver is the many times people have complained about their water being more difficult to manage than normal only to check it out and find that their ozonator has stopped working, the line has an obstruction, etc and once fixed their water management improves again.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 01:34:21 pm »
Nlittle,

Put in a bit extra of dichlor.

When you come back, does again to 5 ppm.  

Don't worry about it.   :)  With the O3, circ pump and  some extra dichlor, you'll be fine.

07 Caldera Geneva

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 05:20:56 pm »
Nlittle,

Put in a bit extra of dichlor.

When you come back, does again to 5 ppm.  

Don't worry about it.   :)  With the O3, circ pump and  some extra dichlor, you'll be fine.

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 11:15:02 pm »
nlittle,

I think you have a 2006 Prodigy spa.  That is what we have.  We were away for 3 weeks this winter, all was fine when we got home.  Since it was cold, I did not lower the temp, just added some Dichlor and off we went.  Don't fret, all will be fine.  Enjoy!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 11:15:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42