What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leisure Time Chemical question  (Read 1839 times)

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
Leisure Time Chemical question
« on: March 09, 2007, 05:56:18 pm »
I was refilling my tub (1st time) and was reading all the bottles ...this time.

when I noticed this issue.

The leisure time strips say that your calcium should be 250-400.  It also says that once you have your PH and AKL correct and the calcium correct then add PH Balance/PH Balance Plus  this is suppose to take the ups and downs out of the PH and lock it in for 3-4 months.

My issue is with PH Balance  it states on the bottle that it shoulb only be used with Calcium levels of less then 150.  Everything over that amount should use the PH Balance plus.  OK.....then what is the PH balance for?  If you are suppose to only use it in tubs of less then 150.....but less the 250 will give you problems????????

The local dealer was just as perplexed and called leisure time....leisure time rep told her ...yeah your right, not sure what you would use PH Balance for.

Any help on this mystry?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Leisure Time Chemical question
« on: March 09, 2007, 05:56:18 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Leisure Time Chemical question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 06:31:06 pm »
 PH balance does not work well with high calcium dont ask me why but from what I have heard from an old timer service tech is if you add liquid calcium increaser then add PH balance it can turn the calcium into a mineral almost instantly which will collect on the heater element very quickly.

We carry PH balance but I dont sell much of it because of that reason, I suppose we could raise the debate of do you really need hardness in your water?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 05:53:23 am »
I stopped selling both, because several folks did not read the label and ruined heaters.

I have not tried it for many years, but seeing a brand-new heater element encased in a solid block of white like that is somewhat unsettling. Same with the circ pumps.

I would venture to guess that they offer the two products - Balance and Balance Plus - so that you don't have a product to use whether you have hard water or softer water to fill with.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 12:58:59 pm »
Interesting you mention white deposits.  The first time I used the product, I had to increase my calcium...then I used the PH balance.  About a week later when I went to clean the filter I noticed that the filter was caked with white "stuff"  no one from the chemical company, watsons or the dealer could figure it out.  I guess, I will not use the product.  Thanks for the input

Reese

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 08:21:55 pm »
Interesting you mention white deposits.  The first time I used the product, I had to increase my calcium...then I used the PH balance.  About a week later when I went to clean the filter I noticed that the filter was caked with white "stuff"  no one from the chemical company, watsons or the dealer could figure it out.  I guess, I will not use the product.  Thanks for the input
I was told once that pH balance products replace the calcium in solution with phosporus.  Could the "white stuff" on the filter be where the calcium end up?

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 09:57:22 am »
Not sure but it ruined the filter.  It was like really small flakes of white stuff.  It was gross....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 09:57:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42