What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Blanket or not?  (Read 7978 times)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Spa Blanket or not?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 01:22:59 am »

I wonder why the spa/cover manufacturers don't include a spa blanket if they actually provide a benefit?  

1. It increases the initial cost of the cover, making it more difficult to sell
2. It lengthens the life of the cover.
3. Some/many people don't want the bother of using them.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 01:22:59 am »

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 08:24:42 am »

Good question..my tub is a hot springs so I think there is a little circulation all the time rather than having cycles...as a result I believe the blanket would be ok.  Not having it yet I don't really know.

My cheaper bubble blanket does not wad up during those normal circulation cycles (I have a Vanguard).  You can't have it on when the jets are going, however.  It sounds like the closed cell blanket may stay in place for a clean cycle, and just because it is that much more thicker and sturdier, will provide better insulation.
2005 HS Vanguard

cburk0677

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 04:42:58 pm »
So does it make a noticeable difference in heating costs? That's really the only reason I would get a spa blanket. Why hassle with it if it isn't saving you any $.
Enjoying SpaTopia in my 2006 Hotspring Vanguard

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 09:46:34 pm »
My memory isn't great but I think I read in a Better Homes and Gardens special edition magazine that a closed cell spa blanket adds and R value of 7...

OK, I tried to find this info...no luck but what I did find indicated it might be more like R factor of 4 :-/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:50:04 pm by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 10:33:01 pm »
Let's assume your electric bill is $50 per month without a blanket. What type of energy costs savings would you expect after installing a blanket? I know it depends on several factors, i.e electrical costs, outside temp versus water temp, usage etc. I'm thinking it couldn't be for than a few dollars per month for most of us. What do you think?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

GoWyoGo

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 02:52:21 am »
I have no idea, but i would guess that the energy savings might allow you to recoup the cost of the blanket over the life of the blanket. I also believe using one may extend the life of your cover by 50%, which is a substantial savings in the long run.
"Beauty is in the eye of the Beer holder"

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 02:49:27 pm »
Well, I am just about to buy one of the closed foam ones from Doc and am contemplating the leash he sells also.  That would make it easier to deal with it.
Any thoughts on that?

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/float.htm#leash

Scroll down below the blankets.
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 11:23:53 am »
Well, I got the closed foam spa blanket, leash and cover saver thing at docs website.
I have not installed the leash yet because it's just too cold!
But, on the blanket, I like it a lot!  It is easy to deal with and does not bunch up at all with the jets on.  I have only had the spa 2 months so I can't really say about energy costs but it gives me piece of mind.  Also, it is becoming somewhat discolored which I suppose could be happening to my cover!
A+.  
I like the cover saver too but I need to move my cover lifter bar to properly install it with the velcro etc.   It takes all the weight from the seam and it seems like it will save me in the long run.
:)
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 01:00:15 pm »
The only problem with the cover saver is that the Velcro glue will turn to mush if the tub is in the sun.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 01:16:44 pm »
I have the foam blanket and the leash. I've had them for about 1 1/2 years.

I think that the blanket helps with convection currents under the cover. The water surface is covered so you're not getting the wind or just the natural currents sucking the heat off the surface. How much is it saving - I couldn't tell you since I've used it pretty much since my tub was new.

Now for the bigger savings - not having to replace the cover in a short period of time. Either the bubble or foam will achieve this. Remember that ozone and chlorine/bromine will give off corrosive and damaging vapors - that blanket is taking the brunt of them. If it means that your cover lasts an extra 2 years - that's worth the money in itself.

The cover leash is a great thing in as I lift the cover, the blanket goes with it, draped over the halfed cover. I don't think I would use the blanket if I didn't have the leash.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 01:16:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42