What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question on Power Lines & Hot tubs  (Read 9747 times)

Huggieville

• Welcome to Huggieville
Question on Power Lines & Hot tubs
« on: March 04, 2007, 11:12:19 pm »
Hi guys,

I am moving my hot tub to a new house and where I want to put it in the back yard there are power lines that run above and across my backyard. I wanted to know if it is code, or if I can put the hot tub underneath of the power lines. I asked my dealer and he wasnt for sure. He said for swimming pools, power lines had to be at least 10 feet away, but we both thought maybe it is differnt for a hot tub. I am calling the power company tomorrow and my electrician to see what they say but I was just curious as to if any of you knew what the rules were on that. I really dont want to have to move the power lines if possinle. Thanks for your help.

Hot Tub Forum

Question on Power Lines & Hot tubs
« on: March 04, 2007, 11:12:19 pm »

macejh

• 2005 Gulf Coast Rotunda
Re: Question on Power Lines & Hot tubs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 11:34:31 pm »
I'm not positive, but I believe its 10 feet for spas as well.  

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 06:20:01 am »
It definetly varies. I've heard/seen anywhere from 10' - 25'.
Check with a local building inspector.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 12:03:02 pm »
In my state, MI, anything with 18" or more of water is considered a pool.  I checked with my twp inspection dept and they gave me the distance requirements.  I had my service switched to underground,  routing around the tub, and all is well.  
If I could just chew through these restraints...

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 02:16:51 pm »
Sunnyvale California the requirement is not within 12' of any overhead utility lines.

Steve

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 12:06:35 pm »
Most localities follow the National Electrical Code NEC.  The NEC dictates 10' overhead distance from any conductive cable and 8' horizontally.  The catch phrase here is "conductive cable" meaning any cable that can conduct electricity.  This of course means anything that crosses your lot probably is conductive including Cable TV.  
I had to move all the overhead utilities when we purchased our tub.  We moved cable, phone, and power.  My out of pocket expense was zero!  Our utility company placed a pole in my neighbors yard at the corner of her lot and everyone one of the utilities swung their stuff from across the street to the new pole.  Apparently they all rent pole space from one another.  The only utility I had to get ugly with was of course Cable TV (big shock) after threatening them with legal action they moved their wire.  
I was also hoping to skirt the issue also! Unfortunately even though I was going to do the 220 hook up to the tub I had hired an electrician to dig in the service from my garage which meant the whole job had to be inspected which in turn meant the power lines had to go!  Yes, I talked with my neighbor and explained to her (a older close to retirement school teacher) that if there was going to be any expense to her that I would cover it.  Fortunately, there was none!  
I would check with your local building inspector and ask about the over head and horizontal requirements.  Good luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 12:06:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42