What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozonator - for 2001 HS Grandee?  (Read 6391 times)

Vermonter

• Patriots!!!!!!!
Ozonator - for 2001 HS Grandee?
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:59:24 am »
Hmmm...I've hesitated posting this question for fear of starting up another round of "ozone" debate.  Not a bad thing, necessarily, just it's not the purpose of my post.

For the moment, let's just say my ozonator (HS original equipment) for my 2001 HS has gone belly-up and, ONLY BECAUSE I LIKE TO LOOK AT BUBBLES, I want to replace it (I know, I know, I can have bubbles without being "ozone" bubbles!!).

With that thought in mind, can anyone help me out with options for ozonators that would be directly compatible with my Grandee?  Cost is a factor (one reason I'm looking for alternatives to another HS ozonator), I'm out of the 5-year warrenty period so I don't need to worry about potential "if you don't use our equipment..." type of concerns and I really would like the highest output unit available (HS FW III may be that unit).

Does anyone have some advice?

Thanks!

Best,

Vermonter

Hot Tub Forum

Ozonator - for 2001 HS Grandee?
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:59:24 am »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
Re: Ozonator - for 2001 HS Grandee?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:24:18 pm »
Here you go. http://www.scarritt.com/storozone12.htm. We install them all the time. Works great. $205.00 + $9.00 shipping. Similar in size, sorry, no pic.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 07:32:03 pm »
Here you go. http://www.scarritt.com/storozone12.htm. We install them all the time. Works great. $205.00 + $9.00 shipping. Similar in size, sorry, no pic.

Is this it?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 10:47:49 pm »
JED has a high output ozonator.  JED 203.  http://www.jedengineering.com/corona_discharge.htm
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 01:31:52 am »
Vermonter, I've heard the Del Platinum Eclipse Ozonator is a decent unit. I belive Chas has had experience with these.

http://www.delozone.com/products-resid-spas-plat.html

Here's one on ebay for $155.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Del-PLATINUM-Spa-Eclipse-HIGH-OUTPUT-CD-Ozone-Ozonator_W0QQitemZ190068359507QQihZ009QQcategoryZ20729QQcmdZViewItem
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 06:40:43 am »
I was referring to the JED unit. We do sell the freshwater iii unit, but the JED costs less.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 01:23:06 pm »
I am not intending to hijack this thread but how do you know for sure if the ozonator is working or not. On my 20002 grandee I have the small bubles but on my control panel I don't have an indicator light illuminated for the ozonator. I did clean with vinegar per the manual.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 01:23:40 pm by jfish63 »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 01:40:12 pm »
I am not intending to hijack this thread but how do you know for sure if the ozonator is working or not. On my 20002 grandee I have the small bubles but on my control panel I don't have an indicator light illuminated for the ozonator. I did clean with vinegar per the manual.
If you have small bubbles coming out of the little port on the bottom of your tub, like you said, you have one. :)

Brookenstein

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 02:59:41 pm »
If you have small bubbles coming out of the little port on the bottom of your tub, like you said, you have one. :)

Isn't it the 24 hour circ pump that produces the small bubbles, not the ozonator?

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 03:27:36 pm »
I know I have one but do bubbles alone mean it is working properly? The manual states I should have an indicator light on my control panel and I don't.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 03:28:34 pm by jfish63 »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 03:50:11 pm »

Isn't it the 24 hour circ pump that produces the small bubbles, not the ozonator?

It's to my understanding that the little bubbles are filled with ozone and if you don't have a tub with an ozonator but you do have a circ pump, the water just comes out like the end of a hose(no bubbles).
Fish, try sticking your nose right above where the little bubbles break surface and see if there's a sweet smell.(kinda like fresh cut watermelon)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 03:55:46 pm by WHY_NOT »

Vermonter

• Patriots!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 04:12:47 pm »
First, bubbles alone do not necessarily mean you are producing ozone (see my third paragraph here).  The bubbles are, indeed, only the result of the venturi action of the Mazzei injector.  I have totally removed my ozonator and still have the same number of bubbles as with it in place.

Second, in my case, the small in-line check valve failed and even with a loop of the injector tubing going high up in the equipment cabinet, somehow water entered the ozonator itself.  In trying to take the ozonator apart to see if I could fix it...well, let's just say the fitting located at the outlet of the corona discharge unit (you sort of have to open the unit up to see it) is no longer intact.   I might be able to buy a replacement fitting (it's not a standard plumbing fitting), but at this point I'm leaning to replacing the whole unit.  I expect the water did irreparable damage to the corona discharge unit.

Third, there was a question on "how do you know if you're getting ozone" if you have bubbles (regardless of whether there is a light or a buzz or some other "indicator".  There are a couple of ways to tell this.  If you are familiar with the smell of ozone, then when you open up your spa cover after an hour or so of being closed, the off-gas of the ozone (the wasted part of the ozone - which is wel probably over 90% of the applied dose) is in the airspace above the water and below the cover.  You should always have the distinct ozone "smell" greet you - if you don't, then either the ozonator isn't working or perhaps the line is plugged.  You can also use a fairly simple "capture" technique to collect the bubbles in an inverted cup / bottle (holding the collection vessel at the bottom of the spa so the bubbles rise into it and displace the water), put your hand over the opening of the container, raise it out of the tub and invert it (so the opening is now up) and quickly remove your hand and smell the "air" in the bottle.  If it is pungent, then it's ozone - if it doesn't smell, repeat it a couple of times, but if the results are the same and you still don't smell it, then the ozonator is not putting out ozone (at least into the tub).

Vermonter

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 04:17:38 pm »
Vermonter thank you for the reply. I will try your method to verify ozone presence. Now more than ever i wonder about something that is that hard to prove it is present

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 04:22:13 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up for us Vermonter. I wish you were here more often. :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 04:22:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42