What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: clips freezing - any tips?  (Read 2902 times)

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
clips freezing - any tips?
« on: January 19, 2007, 01:31:48 am »
Now that the cold weather is (finally) here, I'm noticing that my cover clips freeze up regularly.  Lately I've been taking a cup of hot water out with me to thaw them out enough to work loose.  I was debating getting a little can of lock-deicer and trying that out too.  Any tips out there for helping to prevent this situation?  

Hot Tub Forum

clips freezing - any tips?
« on: January 19, 2007, 01:31:48 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: clips freezing - any tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 01:49:58 am »
I had the same thing happen to me after this last ice storm. :( I just hit them w/ my hand really hard and that seemed to break the "ice bond" well enough for me to get them delatched. I'm going to get a tarp, like suggested in another thread, and put it over my entire tub in preperation for the next stom. So I no longer have to worry about the snow/ice on my cover or clips.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 04:53:40 am »
Now that the cold weather is (finally) here, I'm noticing that my cover clips freeze up regularly.  Lately I've been taking a cup of hot water out with me to thaw them out enough to work loose.  I was debating getting a little can of lock-deicer and trying that out too.  Any tips out there for helping to prevent this situation?  

WD40 works real good for making the water shed off so's not to freeze. If the moisture is dripping from condesation from your cover, If it's just the snowfall thawing and then refreezing on your little clips, make sure you brush that snow off.
Retired

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 09:45:13 am »
or you could always move to a warmer climate..... ::)
A buddy of mine used to tell me to use white lithium grease on the rubber seals around my car doors and sunroof....the idea is it keeps the rubber lubricated (doesn't dry rot), and keeps the water from freezing surfaces together....maybe you could use something as simple as a touch of vaseline? If it's water from above, how about using a rubberband and a sandwich baggie slid onto the strap, tightened above the clip so water can't get to the clip, and make sure it covers the clip? I don't think it would be PRETTY, but hey, if it's a temporary deal, it might be worth it. :-?
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 10:00:10 am »

Speaking of lock de icer, My  wife keeps her can of lock de-icer in her glove box.    :o

As mentioned WD 40 should work well (the "WD" stands for water displacement).  The only concern I have is aything on the clips will get on your hands and into the tub.  I've never had an issue with clips freezing.  Is something dripping on them?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:02:34 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 11:21:16 am »

Speaking of lock de icer, My  wife keeps her can of lock de-icer in her glove box.    :o

I wonder how long before she realizes just how brilliant that idea is....  Lemme guess... it's right beside her spare key? ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 11:22:22 am by Steve »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 12:08:50 pm »

I wonder how long before she realizes just how brilliant that idea is....  Lemme guess... it's right beside her spare key? ;D

You got it. :D :D :D
07 Caldera Geneva

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 08:23:31 pm »
or you could always move to a warmer climate..... ::)
A buddy of mine used to tell me to use white lithium grease on the rubber seals around my car doors and sunroof....the idea is it keeps the rubber lubricated (doesn't dry rot), and keeps the water from freezing surfaces together....maybe you could use something as simple as a touch of vaseline?

I thought about vaseline, it's still on the list of possibilities.  I don't own any though, and the drugstore personnel will probably look at me funny if I go in just to order a big vat of vaseline...

As mentioned WD 40 should work well (the "WD" stands for water displacement).  The only concern I have is aything on the clips will get on your hands and into the tub.  I've never had an issue with clips freezing.  Is something dripping on them?

I'm not really sure where it's coming from, to be honest.  We've had a lot of weather hovering above and below 32, so I think things are just melting on the cover and dripping down.  The cover is doing a good job insulating as far as I can tell, I get a nice snow cover with no visible melt on the colder days, and there's nothing above or around the tub that would drip on it.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 09:19:41 pm »
Matt, if you get a large vat of vaseline and the drugstore personnel look at you screwy, just tell them it's for the guys at the auto repair shop.....  ;)
The manager at Midas almost fell over when I gave him a small jar of Vaseline with a pretty bow on it...especially when I told him what it was for!  :o :D
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 09:19:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42