What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: de-ice cover?  (Read 5721 times)

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
de-ice cover?
« on: January 17, 2007, 03:40:43 pm »
So the power is on and the tub is back up to temp.  One problem, the cover has almost an inch of ice on it.
How do I get this off?  I just tried "beating" it with a snow brush to break it off and then lift it to dump.  But I just managed to crack it...
Any suggestions?
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Hot Tub Forum

de-ice cover?
« on: January 17, 2007, 03:40:43 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: de-ice cover?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:47:46 pm »
I am always fond of beating it off.  ::)

Can you flip one side up? It's been my expericene that I can simply flip the cover half open, get into the tub, and from the inside lift the entire cover back onto the lifter.  Ice slides right off. Other times (and this may be a dumb thing to do, is lift one side of the cover   just a bit and let it slam back down, shattering the ice. ?

However, if you have a ton of ice, it might be too heavy (and possiby tourque out the bar?).   Give the tub time to heat up and see if the heat from the tub will help it.
07 Caldera Geneva

Vermonter

• Patriots!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 03:56:11 pm »
nlittle,

I don't have a suggestion for your current problem, but I have an easy cure to avoid the same ice (or snow) problem in the future.

For years I have used a simple tarp bought from a hardware store (depending on your tub you might go with a 6'x8' or 8'x 10, etc.) and use either some bungee cords, rope or, this year, carabiner clips to secure one of the grommet holes to the hold-down straps on my tub cover.  In my case, the cover near the "cradle" doesn't allow use of the hold-down straps, so I simply tie-off the tarp on that side to the straps that are hanging free.  For the side I open, I slide the straps through the carabiners and then lock the straps to the tub.  The tarp is a little loose, but that's fine with me and you can pretty much tighten up by adjusting the tie-down on the side you are not opening.  

This gives you a protective layer (cost is under $10 for the tarp and clips and lasts several years) that you simply unclip and pull back the tarp and dump off the snow or ice (it works great if you have two people, one on either side, but one can do it).  The ice may stick to the tarp at first, but it usually just separates if you pull the tarp all the way off the tub and sort of dump it in a heap.  If snow is deep, you may have to shovel it down to within an inch or two first.  It leaves your tub cover totally free of snow/ice and keeps it light enough so it is easy to open up.

Vermonter

nlittle

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:18:17 pm »
Thanks for the quick advice.  I was able to open the cover but the ice is so well stuck on it doesn't slide anywhere.  Also, the tub is all heated up and the ice is still there so I guess the insulation is doing it's job.  :)
I think I will buy a tarp (for use once I get the ice off!)
Nothing like a fancy blue tarp to make things look swanky!

Thanks guys!

Vermonter

• Patriots!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 04:32:14 pm »
Nothing like a fancy blue tarp to make things look swanky!

Thanks guys!

And, of course, you can go to True Value and get the generic brown / green (reversible) tarp to match up with your brown (?) cover...I replaced my blue tarp from past years (it was a litle worn) with a brown one this year (I think the tarp cost $4.97 for the 8x10 - unfinished dimensions)!

Vermonter

nlittle

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 04:40:48 pm »
So true!
I have the coastal gray so I think brown would not look too bad.  Much better than the blue.  I don't know why I have always had that color!

nicker

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 04:55:27 pm »
I would just leave it and it will work its way off.  My buddy attempted what you did and put a nice tare in his cover.  

I have always left it and it does work its way off.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:54:33 pm »
I just wait until around eight or nine am and the sun melts it all off for me.

No muss, no fuss.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

nlittle

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 09:05:49 am »

No muss, no fuss.

8-)

Well, the suns been out but it is still very friggid here in NH.  The only melting has been where I put rock salt or from the roof.  It is supposed to snow and get up to 38 tomorrow...maybe it will melt during that heat wave!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 10:30:00 am »
Yeah, I may have forgotten to mention that I live in Southern Cal...

8-)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 11:39:16 am »

Well, the suns been out but it is still very friggid here in NH.  The only melting has been where I put rock salt or from the roof.  It is supposed to snow and get up to 38 tomorrow...maybe it will melt during that heat wave!

If the temperature goes much above freezing, the ice should work loose and slide off.
Brewman

Vermonter

• Patriots!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 12:06:51 pm »

No muss, no fuss.

8-)

nlittle,

Sounds like if you ship the cover to Chas in Southern CA, he will take care of it for you (being the helpful guy that he is!)?

Vermonter

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 02:11:13 pm »
I heard he pays freight both ways, too!
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 09:48:32 pm »
I'm all over it!

8-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 09:48:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42